Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Shout out to the Earl of Sandwich

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Shout out to the Earl of Sandwich

Shout out to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich.

Good job, dude. Love the food item that bears your name. Simple or fancy, a sandwich satisfies. BLT, grilled cheese, peanut butter, turkey club or hamburger, it's all good and tasty. Hardly a day passes when I do not partake in one of your namesakes, but I take your contibution to the world for granted.

A sandwich is a portable meal. Keeping meat, cheese, condiments and vegetables all in place between two (or sometimes three) slices of bread in place and ready to go in my belly. I can eat you fast or savor you. I can make you any way I want. I can give half to a friend.

We owe you big time, Earl. Thanks again.

Mmmm. Think I'll make me a sandwich in your honor.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Dude, that post sooo has 'stand alone thread' written all over it. Split from RTDNTOTO

I am something of a traditionalist when it comes to sandwiches. Shaved ham on toasted rye with lettuce, mayo, slice of muenster and mustard is what hits the spot

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

How About A Bologna Shewsberry?

Back in the 1960s this Bear, a pimple-faced high school student, often had trouble sleeping. So I would tune my table radio into WBZ, Boston, and listen to Dick Somer (Summer?) and his program called "The Night Light Show". One of the things that he continually mentioned was that the Earl of Shrewsberry invented what we now call the sandwich. Whether this is true or not, me not know.

Shrewsberrys that I like.....

Bologna with cheese and ketchup. (Baloney with cheese and catsup?)
    Tuna Melt
    Dagwood
    Roast beef on rye
    Many others

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I do love a good homemade sandwich piled high with meats and cheeses and spiciest mustard I can find. When I am feeling adventurous I will grill up some Monte Cristos at home as well... Good stuff!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    How about a candwich?

Click image for larger version

Name:	e9ed_candwich_parts.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	4873
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'll take a pastrami & swiss on an onion roll, please.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Peanut butter and chocolate chips on a potato roll. Scrummy!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like Reubens, and Hershey's Subs - http://www.allmenus.com/nj/westfield...ant-subs/menu/

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I had a sandwich for lunch today.

Tahini and tofu (fresh homemade tofu!) with cucumber, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, on ciabatta bread (fresh homemade ciabatta!) at this cute little vegan cafe I was introduced to. I am in heaven!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My favorites:

Roast beef, with lettuce, tomato, and lots of mayo
    BLT
    Cheddar bacon burger
    Egg salad, with chopped celery
    Leftover holiday ham on white (or that rye/pumpernickel swirly bread) with mayo and yellow mustard
    A good white-meat chicken salad on a nice fatty croissant. Good chicken salad is so difficult to find.

When I was a kid, I used to eat ketchup and butter sandwiches. Also honey and butter. At least I've evolved a little bit.

I would be remiss if I didn't say peanutbutter and banana sandwhich-thank you very much
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Oh my I love sandwiches, it really is a perfect food. For me I love a pb&j with CRUNCHY peanut butter and strawberry jelly. I also love a simple egg sandwich for a quick breakfast as I head out the door. I also love the step siblings of a sandwich, pitas and tortillas. How many people add chips to their sandwich? I remember putting bbq potato chips on my pb&j sandwiches growing up, salty and sweet combined is perfect!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    How many people add chips to their sandwich? I remember putting bbq potato chips on my pb&j sandwiches growing up, salty and sweet combined is perfect!
    I recall adding the chip crumbs from the bottom of the (plain) potato chip bag to peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, Other popular "kiddie" sandwiches included: cheese (Velveeta of course) and jelly, or on occasion peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    How many people add chips to their sandwich? I remember putting bbq potato chips on my pb&j sandwiches growing up, salty and sweet combined is perfect!
    I remember seeing on "The Cosby Show" Cliff Huxtable put potato chips inside of his tuna salad sandwich. I tried it. Sooo good. Now that is the way I like to have tuna salad sanwiches - chips inside and a pickle on the side.

Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same unless the evening snack wasn't thick slabs of turkey breast on toasted white bread, lots of mayo and a sprinkling of sea salt.

Ham and swiss on rye with some brown mustard - I think I could eat that every day.

Egg salad made with chow chow instead of mustard on white bread. Oh yeah!

And of course, grilled cheese. So simple and so delicious.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when I was young. I like grilled cheese sandwiches, Italian hoagies and steak sandwiches, but I love French Dip sandwiches. Love them.

I prefer heated sandwiches to cold ones.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I love peanut butter & honey sandwiches! Must use creamy PB, mix the honey in before putting on the bread, then slathering the mixture on either toasted wheat or sourdough bread. Yum!! <need a lip-lickin emoticon>

Another fave is grilled cheese with two different cheeses. Works best with one sharp and one spicy, on white bread. I just can't do grilled cheese on wheat.

I love the sandwich selection at Cafe Brazil! All of theirs are Yum Yum Yummy!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    .....I prefer heated sandwiches to cold ones.
    There is this little place downtown that makes the best hot pastrami sandwich with provolone on sourdough bread. Because I don't like mustard, I ask them to spread mayo rather than mustard. The bread is delivered from the San Francisco area daily. Reminds me of a former life.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Grill a pbj - - its great, just be careful of the piping hot pbj drooling out and burning your chin.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Subway BMT on italian herbs & cheese bread, toasted with pepper jack cheese. Add lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, jalapenos, & spicy mustard. Yum!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The fried egg sandwich thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 12 Aug 2013, 3:12 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Sep 2012, 10:28 AM
  3. Shout out from LA
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4