Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter College

Registered
    Jan 2012

Hunter College

Hi everyone:

I'm just in the midst of finishing up my application to CUNY Hunter, and I am just really anxious/stressed about getting in. It's the only school I applied to because I haven't taken my GREs yet and I just wanted to see if I had a shot in hell getting in. I also don't know how they look upon international students (I'm Canadian). Anyone be able to tell me about my chances of getting in? I have a 3.2 GPA which is not awesome, but from a reputable school (UToronto) in Poli Sci, but now have a 4.0 upgrading classes in urban studies at a decent school. I've been doing that while working full time, and I've also been volunteering a lot too. My problem is that I don't have a reference from my undergrad since I finished like 5 years ago and my profs most definitely wouldn't remember me. But, I do have a good reference from a volunteer position with a planning project, and from a city planner that taught a class last term. do you think all this combined with the fact I've been out of school for a while give me good chances of getting in?

Thanks!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I'm just wondering why you aren't applying to Canadian schools. None of them require the GRE, and all of them would be cheaper than Hunter by a fair margin. Not that there aren't good reasons - I'm just curious.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Well, there's only a handful of Canadian schools that offer an MUP program. there are MLA programs, but I prefer MUP just because I think there is a higher employability possibility. I'm also more interested in the policy side, although I am choosing Hunter for its practical program. Also, I would prefer to do an MUP in a large city because it would be beneficial to studies, and I do not think I'll get into any schools in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal just given my GPA. Also, I spent 5 years in Toronto doing my undergrad, and I'd like to go somewhere else anyway. I am still a little nervous about potentially moving to NY, but it will be good for me! but please tell me if it's a bad idea haha. As for financials, Hunter is quite affordable, by US school standards.

I know rattling off stats doesn't do much good, but any idea on my prospects of getting into Hunter? Is it a super competitive school to get in to?

"My problem is that I don't have a reference from my undergrad since I finished like 5 years ago and my profs most definitely wouldn't remember me."

I would contact them anyway. I served on the admissions committee for my MSP program. There were a handful of times where a reference letter from a professor stated up front that did not remember the applicant, but they checked their grade and attendance records. In my opinion this is a far better alternative than not including any academic references when the application processes explicitly asked for them.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the advice!

I do have an academic reference, but this person is not a professor, but rather an instructor who is also a transit planner with the City. This person will give me an awesome reference and I got an A in that class. But, I am wondering if it is worth it to get a reference from someone who doesn't really remember me but got a good grade from 5 years ago, so probably won't give me a great reference. Or, I could wait until Spring admission when I'll likely get an academic reference with the courses I'm upgrading with at the moment, which I don't really want to do.

what do you think about my other credentials?

Thanks again!

You exceed the minimum requirements for Hunter, and apparently they allow academic or professional references. So best of luck! Also, I would not worry about being an international student. BTW, I'm also from Toronto and went to an American school.

Registered
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, @OfficialPlanner. Just have to see what happens! Good to see that a fellow Canadian made it down there

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 3:46 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 11:49 AM
  3. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 10 Aug 2009, 12:02 AM