Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Time limits on political signs

Registered
    Aug 2008

Time limits on political signs

Making adjustments to a nearby muni's signs ordinance for adoption in this one, which contains a category called "election cycle temporary signs".

It allows them as "extra" signage permissible on any zone lot, restricts their size, and defines the "cycle" by number of days prior and after subject election.

Notes made by a lawyer presenting at a zoning admin conference near here last year include one that says any such time limit on political signs is unconstitutional.

The most basic premise of the model I am using is that each zone lot gets to have at least one sign regardless of its content. My thinking is that the temporary allowance for election cycles would stand up in court by virtue of its temporary status. If a property owner objects to the time limit, then his one sign allowed on a permanent basis would protect his right of expression.

Comments?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It's a state by state issue. Some states don't let you put any restrictions on political signs, others require minimum time frames. Arizona just changed the law that allows political signs within right-of-ways. We had to change our code to accommodate this requirements among other things.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    heads up, I sent you a pm

Registered
    May 2002
    Time limits on the placement of policitcal signs before an election becomes a freedom of speech issue. It is reasonable to set "after election" removal requirements though. Note too, it is also permissible to require political signs to stay out of right-of-ways.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Landscaping Landscaping time limits?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Jun 2011, 6:36 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Apr 2009, 1:03 PM
  3. South Division Time Limits
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Jul 2007, 5:03 PM