Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's so great/sucks about lurking

Registered
    Jul 2007

What's so great/sucks about lurking

Hi lurkers-this thread's for you!

I'll admit it, sometimes I just don't feel witty enough or thoughtful enough to reply to a thread. After a day of working on complex land use issues and working with the public, I just don't have the will to do anything but read a thread and laugh to myself (quietly in my office ). So why do you lurk? What do you find great about lurking? What do you feel you miss out on when you lurk instead of post? Maybe a top ten in the future...let's see who comes out of the woodwork!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Hi lurkers-this thread's for you!

I'll admit it, sometimes I just don't feel witty enough or thoughtful enough to reply to a thread. After a day of working on complex land use issues and working with the public, I just don't have the will to do anything but read a thread and laugh to myself (quietly in my office ). So why do you lurk? What do you find great about lurking? What do you feel you miss out on when you lurk instead of post? Maybe a top ten in the future...let's see who comes out of the woodwork!
    I rarely lurk but there are times when I like to have a little more anonymity. Maybe our supreme leader and his enforcers will consider a new Cyburbian+ benefit like some limited number of anonymous posts we can use for particularly witty responses.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    I've been lurking today. I'm not feeling particularly chatty for some reason. Ok then - back to lurking
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I lurk on threads that I don't really have anyway to relate to, or that I think will go down like the Titanic.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm lurking in the shadows right now in my trenchcoat and sunglasses.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I often lurk on the professional threads...and am reluctant to answer very often. I figure someone else probably knows more about it [a given planning topic] than I do
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Even though I registerd for Cyburbia many moons ago when I was a student, I didn't visit for a long time and have just recently become an "active" member. So, I've been lurking here and there to get the lay of the land.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I often lurk on the professional threads...and am reluctant to answer very often. I figure someone else probably knows more about it [a given planning topic] than I do

I chime in on the career development threads now and then since I feel that my recent transition from college to reality makes it a little easier for me to relate with the newbies interested in planning.

I try my best not to add fuel to the fire on some threads and therefore just lurk, but every now and then I can't help myself. Besides, sometimes it's fun to rattle a few cages for no reason!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Lately, just haven't been in the posting groove. Maybe it is my holiday hangover, or the fact that i may loose my job..i dunno, plus with some of cyburbians i follow on FB, which provide a little bit more on a personal life than does here.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Same here, though I know for sure that others will know more about the topic. As a recent graduate, I'm just trying to soak up practical lessons like a sponge. The FAC is easier to post in, and I want to become more involved in the planning e-community.

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Lately, just haven't been in the posting groove. Maybe it is my holiday hangover, or the fact that i may loose my job..i dunno, plus with some of cyburbians i follow on FB, which provide a little bit more on a personal life than does here.
    Backlash from the decision on redevelopment?
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Go ahead and add me to the group that lurks on the professional threads from time to time. Sometimes I don't feel as qualified on many topics, but there sure is a lot of interesting stuff on there. Like Homer, I'm more likely to participate in the career development thread so I can help other recent grads and job searchers.

I also lurk the FAC during the workday, usually during my brief half-hour lunch, and sometimes a quick glance right when I arrive in the morning and sometimes again during that 2:30/3:00 hour. But I usually don't really have time to respond. However, if I can make a quick reply, the office is dead, or if I just can't fight the urge, I will sometimes make a few posts at work. It gives me a chance to think about the topics and formulate what I want to say when I get home at night.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I would not join a forum just to lurk. Belong to a few and enjoy the give and take, even tho face to face I am not that outgoing. The only non-work one I do is facebook.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    What he said. Except for the job thing.

Hope things work out for you 'Raf.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I lurk more and post less these days. If i dont have anything interesting to say or anything to lend to a thread, i just read and try and keep up to date. Plus much of what is discussed is North American centric, which i dont have much to contribute to anyway!

Also facebook keeps me up to date with many cyburbians as well
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I lurk more and post less these days. If i dont have anything interesting to say or anything to lend to a thread, i just read and try and keep up to date. Plus much of what is discussed is North American centric, which i dont have much to contribute to anyway!

Also facebook keeps me up to date with many cyburbians as well
    You should Aussieize the site some. I think we all would appreciate it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2009
    As more of a lurker recently (not having a job in the planning field at the moment), I find the term "lurker" offensive. I personally prefer "creeper".

"When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    As more of a lurker recently (not having a job in the planning field at the moment), I find the term "lurker" offensive. I personally prefer "creeper".

Oh, why hello Rygor! Nice to see you around these parts.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Great then, Sucks Now
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 15 Dec 2012, 5:19 PM
  2. Sucks then, great Now
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Dec 2012, 5:27 PM
  3. Stop Lurking!!