Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Entertainment signage overlay district

Registered
    Nov 2007

Entertainment signage overlay district

I am developing an overlay zone that would afford more flexibility for signage in entertainment intensive districts. Our current ordinance is quite restrictive. We do not allow animated billboards or signs of any kind. We want to permit large LED signs capable of delivering multimedia content within a defined geographic area (an emerging entertainment district). Any examples or experiences with these types of devices?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My city has some special signage areas called Special Provision Sign Districts (SPSD), which are overlayed on top of areas to allow different signage types, locations, etc. We have one especially for an area designated and planned as a large-scale entertainment area (not fully developed/some empty spaces). There's an arena, clubs, retail, restaurants, condos, hotels, and other mixed uses all jumbled up in there.

Check out our sign regs, Section VII of the City Code. The SPSD's are at the end, and you're looking for Section 51A-7.1701 for the entertainment-specific SPSD.

http://www.amlegal.com/dallas_tx/

This will take you to the start of the code.

Generally speaking, I'm a fan of the SPSD's, because you can take into account the area's location, development, age (we have on for a historic district), etc. But be forewarned - it does mean an extra layer of review. And if your sign inspector's aren't familiar with the new code, you could end up with some non-compliant signage rather quickly.

PM me if you want more info.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2007
    Thanks! The development area you're describing sounds a lot like what we're dealing with. The link is much appreciated.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning A new entertainment zone district
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Dec 2011, 7:27 PM
  2. Zoning Mixed use overlay district
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Nov 2008, 9:52 AM
  3. Zoning Rezone PUD vs overlay district
    Land Use and Zoning