Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Salt and pepper shakers

Registered
    Feb 2004

Salt and pepper shakers

This weekend we went through all our kitchen and dining room cabinets to do an inventory (insurance purposes) and were surprised to discover we own eight sets of salt/pepper shakers. I had no idea we owned so many. I assure you I/we do not collect the durned things - I'm aware some people do collect them - and see that most of the shakers were inherited from or given to us by family members at various intervals. We actually use only two sets on a daily basis: one next to the kitchen table and another next to the spice cabinet (it's perhaps a misnomer to call the spice cabinet one a 'set' as they are a mismatched wooden salt shaker and large porcelain pepper grinder). We have another set, a 1980's vintage set of crystal shakers that are used only two or three times a year for formal dining events like Thanksgiving or Christmas feasts. The remainder are never used and pretty much fall squarely into the 'curio/dust collector' category e.g. a pair of cactus and windmill shakers, or a 1960's pastel-colored plastic tupperware set intended to be used outdoors for picnics.

Do you know how many sets of salt/pepper shakers are taking up space in your house? Any interesting or entertaining designs, like the tchotchkes one picks up to commemorate a family vacation to Niagara Falls or the St. Louis arch?
    Last edited by Maister; 23 Jan 2012 at 11:00 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've got one set: Fiestaware, peacock color. I had a cheaper, more utilitarian restaurant-style set, but upgraded to the Fiestaware to match my other place settings.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Dont have S&P shakers. How is that for being a cheap b@st@rd ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I don't have any salt and pepper shakers either. I'm not a fan of pepper and don't tend to put any additional salt on my food, so no real need for them. If I really need salt, I have a few packets around that I accumulated from various fast food restaurants.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Dont have S&P shakers. How is that for being a cheap b@st@rd ?
    We don't have any either.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    We just buy the little griners that you throw away when the stuffs all gone. But we don't use a lot of salt and pepper so they usually last us for an entire year.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The salt for the table is kept in a wooden bowl with a lid and you either get a pinch from it or use the wooden spoon that goes with it. The pepper comes out of the Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seaoning container. We have the generic shakers you might see in most restaurants but they only make it to the table when we have company.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Do you know how many sets of salt/pepper shakers are taking up space in your house? Any interesting or entertaining designs, like the tchotchkes one picks up to commemorate a family vacation to Niagara Falls or the St. Louis arch?
    We have a salt shaker and a pepper grinder on our dining room table. Those are the only ones in active use in our household. But we also own a set of dinosaur salt and pepper shakers that were given to me as a gift years ago, and a pair of wooden pigs that belonged to my parents, on display in our breakfront (a/k/a curio cabinet). My sister has coveted the wooden pig salt and pepper shakers for years, but I have no intention of handing them over.

I seldom put salt on my food, but I do enjoy freshly-ground black pepper.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No salt and pepper shakers. Only add it when cooking anyways.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    We have big salt and pepper grinders that we bought from Costco 3-4 years ago, and it’s looking like they’ll last us a decade at this rate.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    MW and I have a set that are square, glass, and are designed like the periodic table of the elements. I them.

I am a big fan of unique s&p shakers, but I don't think we would ever collect them.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Maister: I can't believe this thread has over 10 replies already. What a total overacheiving thread, the "Rudy" of all threads I tell ya.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    We have one set.

...and no children.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We have a pepper grinder and a Margaritaville Lost Shaker of Salt on the table.

We also have two small sets in the fine china pattern.

I also have Thanksgiving (Pilgrims) and X-mas (Mr and Mrs Claus) sets our grocery store used to sell. I keep forgetting about them because they're on a way-high cabinet shelf.

For maybe 25 years I had a set my mom bought me when I got my first apartment. They were short, squat, glass cylinders with tan plastic lids that looked exactly like diaphragms. Well, if diaphragms came with little holes in the middle. I never had the nerve to tell her about that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Maister: I can't believe this thread has over 10 replies already. What a total overacheiving thread, the "Rudy" of all threads I tell ya.
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, well you haven't seen anything yet, wait til I unleash the "paperclips, binderclips, and rubberbands: you and office supplies" thread, and never being one to rest upon laurels, followed up hot on its' heels by the "toothpicks: rounded or flat, you decide" thread.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, well you haven't seen anything yet, wait til ... the "toothpicks: rounded or flat, you decide" thread.
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Nov 2012, 7:11 PM
  2. Getting salt out of basement floor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Nov 2012, 9:51 AM
  3. french in Salt Lake City, UT
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3