Thread: Guy gets locked in solitary for two years after DUI arrest

Registered
    Jan 2005

Guy gets locked in solitary for two years after DUI arrest

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ter-dwi-arrest

Note to self: stay the hell out of New Mexico

Registered
    May 2004
    No trial or anything. I wonder how often stuff like this actually happens.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    So they basically somehow forgot about him? It honestly makes zero sense to me how something like this could even happen. Seems like someone in that jail would be curious why he was locked up in the first place.

Anyway 22 million dollars for being locked up for 2 years isn't a bad deal on his end. I doubt he'll keep all of it after the appeal though. Still no person should be put through that situation.

Registered
    May 2005
    Saw that sad story last night. WTF?! So messed up. Of course, this should never happen to anyone, but my wife's comment was that he seemed like the kinda guy that might take his 22 million dollars and build himself a gold house ala Chester Lampwick in the Simpsons (who won a ton o cash after proving he was the inventor of Itchy)

"I don't need anymore money. I'm not greedy, as long as I've got my health, my millions of dollars, my gold house, and my rocket car; I don't need anything else."
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    So they basically somehow forgot about him? It honestly makes zero sense to me how something like this could even happen. Seems like someone in that jail would be curious why he was locked up in the first place.

Anyway 22 million dollars for being locked up for 2 years isn't a bad deal on his end. I doubt he'll keep all of it after the appeal though. Still no person should be put through that situation.

The other nice thing is that he has no DWI on his record, considering they never bothered to take him to trial...

I hope they increase the compensation on appeal.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From the article:

New Mexico's Dona Ana County Jail.
    I should have known. Oh, Las Cruces, your dysfunctionality never disappoints me.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Anyway 22 million dollars for being locked up for 2 years isn't a bad deal on his end. .
    He should be able to buy a new car and a few beers with that.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    This definitely begs the question though as to where the county will get the money to pay that 22 million. That's a huge chunk of money that tax payers may be responsible for. I also doubt their insurance could even begin to cover that amount of money.

They had something here where the county was held liable for serious injuries on dozens of people but was only liable to pay their insurance policy limit of $600,000 split between everyone involved. This amounted to $11,000 to each person involved despite the fact that some people had medical bills in excess of a million dollars. Just in this state, it's impossible to sue the government so the victims have virtually no recourse in recouping their medical bills.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I should have known. Oh, Las Cruces, your dysfunctionality never disappoints me.
    I should have mentioned that I saw the story on the LOCAL news. Yeah, we did that! Is my New Mexico pride showing?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Obviously not cool how they treated him.

But maybe he'll buy himself a desiganted driver with his money (as well as a ticket out of town).
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The rebuttal. From the Las Cruces Sun-News article:

Slevin, according to the county, "was deemed a threat to himself upon intake to the detention center and was observed for three days in a special cell in the medical wing for his own protection. After
    his condition stabilized, he was kept in the medical wing for an additional three weeks for observation. After that period, he was offered an opportunity to join the general population in a cell block with a day room. Slevin refused, and the only option after his refusal was to place him in one of the facility's 28 administrative segregation cells. For the next five months, records show that he regularly requested and received medical attention and commissary purchases. After that period, he stopped requesting those services. He frequently refused offers to leave his cell for recreation and exercise."

The county says the length of Slevin's 22-month stay was "entirely" in the hands of then-district attorney Susana Martinez's office, the public defender's office and state District Court. However, Williams noted, Slevin's criminal history at the time of his arrest was 26 pages long, and included out-of-state convictions for robberies, burglaries, drunken driving, receiving stolen property, firearms violations, possession of drugs and burglary tools, criminal mischief, criminal property damage and violating probation - at least one of which resulted in prison time in Florida.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    The rebuttal. From the Las Cruces Sun-News article:
    Not nearly as good a story. I do like the way that they threw the former DA under the bus though. And referring to solitary as "administrative segregation" cells.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    And clearly the jury did not agree with the County's position, so suck it, Dona Ana Co! The story I heard included his toenails growing around his toes because they would not let him have clippers nor provide any hygene. Also, he was evidently forced to pull one of his own teeth because they refused him medical treatment. Lastly, I am pretty sure he was incarcerated for a full three weeks or so before even being formally charged.

My reading, given his picture when he was arrested, is that he was an unstable, drunken, marginal guy and the folks at the jail figured no one would miss him and they engaged in some twisted pleasures by keeping him there and treating him like an animal. Not that any of that justifies what they did, of course.Its just how I think it went down.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 May 2013, 5:21 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 May 2012, 1:48 PM
  3. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 5:06 PM
  4. Bush and Cheney under arrest