Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Household redundancy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I hear ya. My rental house is definitely not an "income property" in the classic sense.
    The term albatross is the one I use the most. It seemed like such a good idea in 1999, buy it, enjoy it for a few years, then sell it to some retiring baby-boomer yuppies. Little did I know that the economy was going to go as far south as it did and most of these "I am smarter than you are" yuppies had all of thier eggs in too few and what ended up being money loser baskets! If you think its hard trying to sell a house in Michigan in an urban area, try selling one in an area where economic development is equated with a Walmart opening 20 miles away!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We have three telephones in our house and really only one person uses them.

Though not a household item but definitely redundant, I have opinions at home but rarely get to use those either.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I hear ya. My rental house is definitely not an "income property" in the classic sense.
    Sure it is...it just takes your income instead of providing you one
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Sure it is...it just takes your income instead of providing you one
    Someone's making an income off my old house, and it definitely isn't me!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, its taken 5 years, but I think we have succeeded in reducing household redundancy to almost none at the moment. It was partly helped by the purchase of a small cabin and some land where all the derelict and less-than-pristine redundancy went to live. Mostly this amounts to chairs, some kitchen items and tools. Ok, I still have three hammers at home (well, more if you count specialty hammers like your ball peens and upholstery ones) but really, I don't count tools. You can't have enough screwdrivers and hammers in my opinion. And I'm sure there's a smarta$$ joke for that one, so have at it...

Otherwise, we tend to have the opposite problem - not being able to find the crap we need but which you know is SOMEWHERE in the damn house. To make it even more frustrating, the house isn't very large. So, I spend a lot of time walking through the same rooms over and over, talking to no one and saying things like "where the hell could that @#&! chapstick be?!" To use but one example.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Well, its taken 5 years, but I think we have succeeded in reducing household redundancy to almost none at the moment. It was partly helped by the purchase of a small cabin and some land where all the derelict and less-than-pristine redundancy went to live. Mostly this amounts to chairs, some kitchen items and tools. Ok, I still have three hammers at home (well, more if you count specialty hammers like your ball peens and upholstery ones) but really, I don't count tools. You can't have enough screwdrivers and hammers in my opinion. And I'm sure there's a smarta$$ joke for that one, so have at it...

Otherwise, we tend to have the opposite problem - not being able to find the crap we need but which you know is SOMEWHERE in the damn house. To make it even more frustrating, the house isn't very large. So, I spend a lot of time walking through the same rooms over and over, talking to no one and saying things like "where the hell could that @#&! chapstick be?!" To use but one example.
    Yeah but now you've gone from "household redundancy" to "house redundancy"!

I'm afraid I seriously suffer from household redundancy: 4 TVs (I'm NOT hauling one from room to room!); 5 phones plus a cell phone; 2 computers; 2 Pampered Chef choppers; 2 sewing machines; 2 stereo tuners/cd players/cassette players; 3 lawn mowers (1 rider, 1 self propelled, 1 hand reel); 3 weed wackers (1 battery, 1 electric, 1 gasoline); 2 grills (1 propane, 1 charcoal), 3 electric drills (1 corded, 2 battery), an unknown number of tape measures, levels, hammers, 3 dog crates, 2 cat carriers ... I'm a sick puppy who doesn't throw out old stuff that works but can't resist new stuff, either.

Some of this stuff spends summers at the camp, too, so I'm sort of into "house redundancy" myself if an 8 x 26 foot camper with electric but no indoor plumbing qualifies as a house (there are some poor people in this area who actually live in not much better).

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Household water use
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Jun 2012, 12:08 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 06 Jun 2011, 1:51 PM
  4. Replies: 14