Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How does your zoning code handle multiple uses on a parcel?

Registered
    Aug 2005

How does your zoning code handle multiple uses on a parcel?

Sketchy business plans aside, how does your zoning code address multiple uses for a parcel? We have a potential applicant who currently owns a siding business. The business also sells records and antique books. Now the owner is interested in selling firearms as well. All these uses would be in one building so there would be no accessory structures.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Sounds like retail to me. Or was the siding part permitted as something else? If they are different, but there isn't dedicated space for each use that you could measure, then call it all by whatever is more restrictive. No different than a department store or big box that has many lines under one roof - grocery, shoes, clothes, toys, hardware, etc. Abercrombie & Fitch used to sell guns too, remember

Registered
    May 2005
    Unless any of those uses are expressly prohibited by the current zoning, I don't see why you need to address the issue of the specific items being sold. Can't it all be called Commercial (C-1, C-2, whatever?) so long as what they are doing is not prohibited? I am pretty sure you can buy all of these kinds of items at a Wal-mart, for example. Maybe not the siding and the books aren't antiques and the music not on vinyl, but is this very different? They sell food, firearms, motor oil, clothing and a gazillion other things all under one roof...

Ah, I see RTG and I are of a similar opinion...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2007
    It's all retail in nature. In California, the occupancy and building type would dictate additional need for fire rated walls, ingress/egress etc.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Sketchy business plans aside, how does your zoning code address multiple uses for a parcel? We have a potential applicant who currently owns a siding business. The business also sells records and antique books. Now the owner is interested in selling firearms as well. All these uses would be in one building so there would be no accessory structures.
    1.) all of the uses would have to be allowed within that zone, or a conditional use obtained (if a conditional use could be obtained)... we do allow for parcels to have split zoning, I'm generally not a fan of it, but we would allow for a segment of that parcel to be rezoned, although thinking aloud for a moment, i don't think we'd allow for that to happen vertically, ie, gun shop on top of siding business (if they required separate zoning)

hm... maybe if you had a condo regime set up could you zone each ownership within a condominium?

2.) Required parking is calculated based on SF for each use, so each would generate a certain number of required spots per Square Foot of space or employees.

3.) in some cases accessory uses are allowed, such as auto repair with a gas station... not in your example though.

in your case, we'd allow a contractor shop/yard in our higher density commercial zone districts... so they'd be all good to good to go.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Pretty much - If the uses are permitted in the underlying zoning district as principal uses then I don't see what the issue could be.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    You might want to think about 50 ft landscaped buffers between those uses in the structure..............is it Friday yet?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    We allow multiple uses on a single parcel as long as the bulk requirements (parking, setbacks, etc.) can be met for each use. But usually the uses are in separate spaces - sounds like your guy is running all the businesses out of a single store? In that case, we would consider it a single retail use since our zoning does not generally regulate the type of merchandise sold in a retail establishment. We are just glad to get any business at all in our city!!! But the siding business is another story - we would probably require additional parking etc. to accommodate the siding trucks, installers, etc...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Nov 2012, 1:39 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Aug 2012, 10:50 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 1:48 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Feb 2008, 1:40 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Oct 2006, 10:51 PM