Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Twitter's value

Registered
    Jan 2005

Twitter's value

So this article piqued my interest...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibb...ocial-suicide/

His argument is that if Twitter isn't completely open it isn't valuable. If you are using Twitter for personal or work related activities, does it diminish the value if there is a chance that your tweet might be censored or queued? I can't think of many time sensitive tweets that we do, but I can imagine this would be a HUGE blow to how Twitter was used in the middle east uprisings and to news agencies which use it to break news...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's of no value or purpose to me because I don't have a cell or smart phone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2007
    That's a myth that Twitter is only interesting, fun, or useful if you use it on a phone or handheld device. I don't have one either. I use it at my desktop computer and I find it very valuable- entertaining and informative. I get most of my news and information from Twitter and the websites that are linked in tweets. It all depends on what and how many accounts you follow.

Registered
    May 2002
    I've never used twitter. I suppose my phone could handle it, but I'm fine with texts, emails, and facebook.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    May 2005
    What is this "twitter" you speak of?

I made an account about two years ago and then never posted a thing nor followed anyone. I am looking to decrease the volume of information in my life, not increase it. I'm sure it has its useful applications, but I don't think any of them relate directly to me.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    So this article piqued my interest...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibb...ocial-suicide/

His argument is that if Twitter isn't completely open it isn't valuable. If you are using Twitter for personal or work related activities, does it diminish the value if there is a chance that your tweet might be censored or queued? I can't think of many time sensitive tweets that we do, but I can imagine this would be a HUGE blow to how Twitter was used in the middle east uprisings and to news agencies which use it to break news...
    I think he makes a good point.

I always wonder why there is a focus on managing the content people are allowed to broadcast. In my mind, the more logical move is to require people to provide more personal information if they want an account (that way people are more accountable for what they post).
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    I think he makes a good point.

I always wonder why there is a focus on managing the content people are allowed to broadcast. In my mind, the more logical move is to require people to provide more personal information if they want an account (that way people are more accountable for what they post).
    I thought that would matter when our local paper went to Facebook commenting on articles. People are still incredibly racist, stupid, and sad. I thought it might stop once your name is attached, but it really hasn't. A random guy with a profile photo of his wife and two kids will still comment on hot topics inappropriately...

I always wonder where these people work. Is that something you really want "out there"?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    What is this "twitter" you speak of?

I made an account about two years ago and then never posted a thing nor followed anyone. I am looking to decrease the volume of information in my life, not increase it. I'm sure it has its useful applications, but I don't think any of them relate directly to me.
    In a planning and public participation context, this is a standard communication channel for a very large segment of the population.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I thought that would matter when our local paper went to Facebook commenting on articles. People are still incredibly racist, stupid, and sad. I thought it might stop once your name is attached, but it really hasn't. A random guy with a profile photo of his wife and two kids will still comment on hot topics inappropriately...

I always wonder where these people work. Is that something you really want "out there"?

Yea, that is pretty ridiculous. I would guess that a lot of people still don't recognize the brevity of what they are doing when they post something offensive online, but I bet they would realize it if they were held accountable (eg a coworker reads another coworker's offensive rant about the company).

IMO, people should realize that it's actually worse to post something offensive rather than say it out loud. When you post it it's out there for everyone to see, and you might not be able to delete it...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Who says Twitter’s worth using? It’s as if exclusive social media for celebrities; den of gibberish gossip and rumors. There are only few tweets that can be read...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by amandawhale View post
    Who says Twitter’s worth using? It’s as if exclusive social media for celebrities; den of gibberish gossip and rumors. There are only few tweets that can be read...
    It's all about who you follow. I liken it to real life. If you don't have anything to say that I want to hear/read, then my interaction with you will be extremely limited. I've had about 3 different twitter accounts. I dumped my first one when I had something like 700 followers, right now I only use it when I'm really, really bored, or when something is posted to my blog.

Twitter and Facebook lost all appeal to me when KFC and Walmart figured they could use them as advertising.

+ Reply to thread