Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vehicle auctions vs vehicle dealerships

Apr 2011
    End of the cul-de-sac

Vehicle auctions vs vehicle dealerships

Recently we've had someone ask about putting a vehicle auction center on a site that previously held an auto dealership. I've been searching the internet and haven't found many regulations dealing with this use specifically. I also have never been to an auto auction, so I'm not completely sure of the differences. I know they would have auctions 1-2 times a week, so you could expect larger crowds fewer times a week, but thats about it. So do you have any experiences with auctions, any examples of good regulations or any other thoughts on the issue. Thanks.

Feb 2007
    As far south of SoCal as I Will Go
    Basic questions to ask one's self:

Is the vehicle auction licensed in your state to sell vehicles?

We have a "auction" yard in my muni, that sells vehicles. We have treated it like an autodealership. The one problem will be parking. Auction days can attract hundreds if not thousands of people. They need a place to park. While we have no "hard/fast" regulations, probably setting up a CUP and condition the project for parking, traffic control (if necessary), vehicle storage, additional storage areas might be a good thing (we ended up with a CUP).
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Mar 2004
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Auto auctions typically sell cars to and for dealerships.

My brother used to be part owner in several dealerships in Michigan and would often attend auctions.

Many of my cars I bought from him through the auction process.

Auctions are full of characters, similar to going to the horse track.

Most of the auction sites here in Detroit are enormous, much larger than any dealership.

Being a transportation planner and not a land regulator, thats all I got.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work Vehicle
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 08 Mar 2013, 12:26 PM
  2. Vehicle-Deer Collisions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 71
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 1:16 AM
  3. Vehicle occupancy
    Transportation Planning