Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacation time - 2012

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    As RJ mentioned above, and I mentioned in the weekend thread, we'll be in the DC area next month. Flying into Baltimore on 4/21, driving to Charlottesville to tour Monticello on the 22nd, then up to Alexandria for 4 nites (where we can take the metro into DC), last night on the 26th in Baltimore's Inner Harbor area. RJ's never been in the area, I haven't been in DC in 25 yrs and never in Baltimore, Charlottesville, or Alexandria. Let us know if you have any ideas for dining, things to see, walking historic neighborhoods, etc. And if anyone in the area wants to meet up, let us know.
    When I lived in Balmer, I liked taking a weekend day trip to DC to see the museums (during the day) and then pedaling around the monuments after dark.

Another attraction: Glen Echo Park. Here's the contra dance schedule for April. In Baltimore they are at Lovely Lane Church.

Rent a paddleboat at the Inner Harbor. Take a photo of yourselves with the gigantic stained glass blue crab at BWI.

Registered
    May 2005
    We officially booked our Spring Break trip to Florida for the first week of April. We'll be leaving Michigan on March 30 and driving down to Orlando.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    We officially booked our Spring Break trip to Florida for the first week of April. We'll be leaving Michigan on March 30 and driving down to Orlando.
    T-minus 4 days until we leave. This will actually be my first entire week off from work in a year. I took a week between jobs at the end of July, but that doesn't count. I then got paid out for unused vacation from the old job. I have three weeks to use between now and August 1, then get three more weeks on my anniversary date.

I'm so looking forward to a week away from life, sun, swimming, quality time with the family and giving the Disney Estate a shit-load of my hard earned money. But the smiles on my daughters' faces will be priceless.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    We're planning a trip to Nicaragua this summer. The stars are more or less in alignment still, so its looking more likely every day. I need to confirm my days off and buy some tix and we're set. Looking to do a language school type vacation. Its time I (and the rest of the faily) learned a bit more Spanish...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, our first real family trip is happening this week - we'll be spending Weds-Sun at a "cabin" in the shadows of the Smokies about 10 miles east of Gatlinburg, TN. I hope the weather holds for us.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I will be in Toledo, OH next week if anyone would like to consume a beverage. It will be a pretty hectic week for me, but I'm sure I can squeeze in an evening! Quick laefest anyone?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I will be in Toledo, OH next week if anyone would like to consume a beverage. It will be a pretty hectic week for me, but I'm sure I can squeeze in an evening! Quick laefest anyone?
    T-town???? Why thats just right down the road!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    T-town???? Why thats just right down the road!
    Yes it is! Could you make it down? Perhaps we can get some fellow Michiganders to join? I'm going to the Mudhens game on the 7th, which could be a fun laefest venue! We could hit one of the many pubs in downtown after and dance to celtic music and consume massive amounts of beer. I won't have a car, so I will be cabbing it.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just returned from Naples, Florida. I swear, vacations with kids are really no vacation at all. I am more tired now than I was when I left. Ah well, it was nice to get away.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    T-minus 4 days until we leave. This will actually be my first entire week off from work in a year. I took a week between jobs at the end of July, but that doesn't count. I then got paid out for unused vacation from the old job. I have three weeks to use between now and August 1, then get three more weeks on my anniversary date.

I'm so looking forward to a week away from life, sun, swimming, quality time with the family and giving the Disney Estate a shit-load of my hard earned money. But the smiles on my daughters' faces will be priceless.
    Have fun, and say "hi" to Mickey and Minnie for me! (Boy, do I miss living half an hour from WDW...)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Mini Laefest in Toledo - Sat April 7

Yes it is! Could you make it down? Perhaps we can get some fellow Michiganders to join? I'm going to the Mudhens game on the 7th, which could be a fun laefest venue! We could hit one of the many pubs in downtown after and dance to celtic music and consume massive amounts of beer. I won't have a car, so I will be cabbing it.
    Lesson learned last year: exchange cell numbers.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Just returned from Naples, Florida. I swear, vacations with kids are really no vacation at all. I am more tired now than I was when I left. Ah well, it was nice to get away.
    Welcome to my pain...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Only if we can bring Shane McGowan along... He's fun to watch at sing-alongs. The 7th might be doable. I am a total tee-totataller though (medical reasons, not a Daniel Downer in recovery!), but I do enjoy Celtic Music.

BTW, last Mudhen's game I went to we had a busload come down and were thrown out for bad behaviour!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Only if we can bring Shane McGowan along... He's fun to watch at sing-alongs. The 7th might be doable. I am a total tee-totataller though (medical reasons, not a Daniel Downer in recovery!), but I do enjoy Celtic Music.

BTW, last Mudhen's game I went to we had a busload come down and were thrown out for bad behaviour!
    Hahaha! You sound like trouble! Just the kind of person I want to bring to an Irish pub

Right now it looks like I will be going to the Mudhens game at 6:00pm and then heading across the street to The Blarney after for a few beverages and some live music. Not sure how wild the evening will be since my wife is pretty tired and may want to go home and rest after the game. I will keep you posted as the date gets closer.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2006
    We went to the Bahama's on a Disney Cruise in January via my Son's Make a Wish.

We are heading to the Delaware shore later this summer.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hahaha! You sound like trouble! Just the kind of person I want to bring to an Irish pub

Right now it looks like I will be going to the Mudhens game at 6:00pm and then heading across the street to The Blarney after for a few beverages and some live music. Not sure how wild the evening will be since my wife is pretty tired and may want to go home and rest after the game. I will keep you posted as the date gets closer.
    Cool.

Back to the thread title, got word yesterday that I have to take of 31 business days by June 29 or lose the benefit. Darned this switch over to PTO! Looks like I will be spending time at home or at the cabin!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Another staycation . . . I am seriously contemplating pulling the pool cover next weekend though . . .

Registered
    May 2005
    Back from Florida/Orlando/Disney. A good trip with the family. Now back to reality.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    How was Naples. outside of the kids. My folks lived there in the late '90s and visited them a couple of times. Interesting place, with an incredible amount of wealth and no virtually no middle class. Did y'all go out on the pier out into the Gulf? Had my Gentle Ben moment when we went on an airboat trip.

Planning my annual trip back home. Looks like a side trip up to Greenfield Village. Btw, how many have done Rouge factory tour? Is it worth it?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Welcome to my pain...
    The thing is that, as a child, you think most of the vacations were great. Same holds for your vacations as a young adult. It isn't until you're an adult with children that you realize that your vacation fantasies are making you repeat the vicious cycle to delude another generation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    How was Naples. outside of the kids. My folks lived there in the late '90s and visited them a couple of times. Interesting place, with an incredible amount of wealth and no virtually no middle class. Did y'all go out on the pier out into the Gulf? Had my Gentle Ben moment when we went on an airboat trip.

Planning my annual trip back home. Looks like a side trip up to Greenfield Village. Btw, how many have done Rouge factory tour? Is it worth it?
    The building itself is phenomenal. I have taken the tour twice. The first time I took it was when they were building Pintos and Mustang II's there. The second time was F-150's. Unfortunately, Ford no longer owns the steel mill so that is off of the tour. That is what made the first trip. The rebuilt factory however is really cool, and it was built as an environmental showcase. You won't get to see much assembly but you will see the final room where the finishing is done.

I've been a member of what is now known as "the Henry Ford" since I was in college. Its well worth the visit. The Car exhibit has just been re-done in the museum, and the village had a major infastructure upgrade about ten years back. With the Upgrade came a lot of moving of buildings.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The building itself is phenomenal. I have taken the tour twice. The first time I took it was when they were building Pintos and Mustang II's there. The second time was F-150's. Unfortunately, Ford no longer owns the steel mill so that is off of the tour. That is what made the first trip. The rebuilt factory however is really cool, and it was built as an environmental showcase. You won't get to see much assembly but you will see the final room where the finishing is done.

I've been a member of what is now known as "the Henry Ford" since I was in college. Its well worth the visit. The Car exhibit has just been re-done in the museum, and the village had a major infastructure upgrade about ten years back. With the Upgrade came a lot of moving of buildings.
    Thanks DP, last time I was there was mid 90's, when I was still living in NI. As for the steel mills, since my grandpa worked in the mills in Gary, I saw more than enough of those.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanks DP, last time I was there was mid 90's, when I was still living in NI. As for the steel mills, since my grandpa worked in the mills in Gary, I saw more than enough of those.
    The steel mill part of the tour was the best. You would be led up a narrow catwalk above a cauldron of molted steel. they would stretch out the group so everyone would have a front row view then they would let the lava vill a form where is was hardened and steam would rise. You would then see them roll the steel into a giant coil. The next stop was the stamping plant. At one time they wanted to be able to do everything to build a car at Rouge. The earlier tour guide told us Ford tried to have a rubber tree grove incorporated, but that would not take the climate.

The current building has the largest grass roof in the world. They even have a bee-keeper on staff to ensure that the flowering grasses are properly pollenated.

Since the 1990's the new exhibits include "and liberty and justice for all", this ties together all sorts of things that were previously oddities. This includes Washington's trunk and cot, Lincoln's death chair, Rosa Park's bus, slavery, women's sufferage movements. Also a new addition is the aviation area, and possibly the Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion house. The BF house is in the Museum, not the village. There are also really schlocky things like an IMAX and an expanded gift shop.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 09 Apr 2012 at 2:33 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2007

I know you were asking Hink but I wanted to comment too... My wife and I went down to Naples in January/February and I loved it. Her parents live there about 6 months out of the year and I had never been down there to their place. My wife never wanted to go since she said it was nothing but old people and she was always bored visiting. Ten minutes after we arrived I told my wife I was ready to move to Naples permanently and by the of the trip I thought maybe I could actually convince her to as well.

We loved the downtown area, it's similar to the little downtown near where we live but about twice the size and the pier was great... we were able to see an entire pod of dolphins both times we went out to the pier and watched a guy reel in a big sting ray on his fishing line (he immediately released it as I guess you are required to). Alas, unless her parents would allow us to just take over their house for free, anything we could probably afford would be quite the distance from town so we'll probably stay put as Michiganders for the foreseeable future.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I We loved the downtown area, it's similar to the little downtown near where we live but about twice the size and the pier was great... we were able to see an entire pod of dolphins both times we went out to the pier and watched a guy reel in a big sting ray on his fishing line (he immediately released it as I guess you are required to). Alas, unless her parents would allow us to just take over their house for free, anything we could probably afford would be quite the distance from town so we'll probably stay put as Michiganders for the foreseeable future.
    The downtown is pretty cool. The income disparity in that town is incredible to see. Again, the middle class there is paper thin. Had my first Cuban food while there. I went out on the pier once and somebody had caught a baby hammerhead shark. It really was freaky looking. Made me think twice about going too far into the water when I realized that it's mom and dad where out there in the Gulf somewhere.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How much vacation time do you get?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 2:26 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 04 Dec 2008, 6:58 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 10:51 PM
  4. How to use vacation time?