Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vacation time - 2012

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Sounds like RJ and ZG are having a fun trip! Enjoy Baltimore.
    We arrived home from BWI a couple of hours ago. What a great week!! Baltimore was much more than I expected. Federal Hill and Fells Point are exceptional walking neighborhoods. Big "WOW" factor. Electric.

But we also realize not all neighborhoods are the same.

I'll edit and post pics tomorrow or Sunday. We don't think you'll be disappointed.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I loaded about 40 pictures of the Fell's Point and Federal Hill neighborhoods in the Baltimore MD gallery from our Death Marches. I'm just too lazy this morning to make a thread.

I hope you enjoy.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    My favorite western town is Logan, Utah.
    Mine: Gunnison CO

Registered
    Sep 1999
    After thinking about this for most of the last week, I have to say something to parents who are sending their kids on field trips to national monuments: nobody is looking after your kids.

I was appalled by the lack of supervision we saw on school groups on our trip to the D.C. area last week.The most glaring example was at Ft McHenry, near Baltimore ("Star Spangled Banner", anyone?) which I was dying to visit. It wasn't so bad that we had to trudge up to the fort behind a bunch of pre-schoolers who weren't getting anything from the experience except exclaiming over goose poop on the walkway. It was the (5th graders, maybe?) who were running wild. No organization, no listening to docents, dozens of kids running nuts all over and ruining what would have otherwise been a good experience (cold rainy day, RJ and I were pretty much the only adults other than the "chaperones"). They were running along the tops of the rebutments,slamming doors, making fun of every exhibit, interrupting audio in rooms, you name it. But most of all,what got to me, was there was not any adult keeping track of the kids. I'm amazed if they don't lose kids right and left.

Similar thing at Monticello down in VA. Hundreds of kids milling about the visitors center, in the shops, bathroom, all over, nothing organized, nobody keeping track, kids (middle school age) wandering around after their bus had left.

Having been a cranky adult since I was 25, I will also add that kids have no manners anymore. On the National Mall, high schoolers were everywhere. They all seem to think they are entitled to walk 8 abreast and run adults off the sidewalk. And no, I was not raised when that was OK. Prehistoric, OK, but you give way to your elders. These kids would run us off the sidewalk and then the chaperone would throw over her shoulder "Oh, sorry". NOT.

My kid may be deficient in a lot of ways, but if he doesn't hold a door for women and give way to older people he gets the "stink eye" and he knows it.

Just my vent.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with ZG.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Not really a vacation but I am likely headed to Oklahoma City in June for a conference. Besides Flaming Lips Alley, is there anything worth seeing in the OKC or is it likely best to stay in the hotel pool and avoid the (what I will assume to be) oppressive heat? There must be a good place to get a steak in town.

Where's TexanOkie these days?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

Fighting his way through finals, according to FB.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Not really a vacation but I am likely headed to Oklahoma City in June for a conference. Besides Flaming Lips Alley, is there anything worth seeing in the OKC or is it likely best to stay in the hotel pool and avoid the (what I will assume to be) oppressive heat? There must be a good place to get a steak in town.
    The Memorial of the Oklahoma City bombing is totally worth it, if you are in the mood to get very teary-eyed. The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is actually really nice, also, a lot of Western art and historical collections (I didn’t know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised). Both of these have a/c. If you want to get out of town, the Toy and Action Figure Museum in Paul’s Valley is a small but fun “museum”, brings back a lot of memories. Not much help with steak… my folks moved to OKC a few years ago but we mostly stick around their burb when visiting (especially since the new outlet mall is just down the road, it has a good selection of stores if you feel like shopping).

Registered
    Jul 2006

If you're there June 8, 9, 10, I highly recommend the Red Earth Festival. http://www.redearth.org/red-earth-festival/
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Off to New Orleans next week...Weds-Sat. It's technically a work trip but that ends at 4pm every day

We haven't finalized plans for our trip to the Dominican Republic yet but it will be in September or October. I have to sandwich it between my numerous events and project construction schedule.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Six-hour road trips

Last week it was Grand Haven. Walked the pier, shot lots of pics, enjoyed the sunset.

Today: a parade at Tulip Time (aka Stem Fest). Will yell at the governor.

Registered
    May 2005
    Previously I had posted that we were heading to Nicaragua in June. Plans changed slightly and now we are going to Belize. Saved $200 per person on flights. COL is a little higher in Belize, but I think we will still save money over Nicaragua by the way we are traveling.

Splitting the time between the mainland (rain forests, river trips, Mayan ruins) and the ocean (Caye Caulker is a small reef island in the Caribbean - snorkeling, manatees, non-deadly sharks, reggae). So excited!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Previously I had posted that we were heading to Nicaragua in June. Plans changed slightly and now we are going to Belize. Saved $200 per person on flights. COL is a little higher in Belize, but I think we will still save money over Nicaragua by the way we are traveling.

Splitting the time between the mainland (rain forests, river trips, Mayan ruins) and the ocean (Caye Caulker is a small reef island in the Caribbean - snorkeling, manatees, non-deadly sharks, reggae). So excited!
    Oooh, Belize is on my vacation wish list. Enjoy!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    3 work days left of my longest vacation ever. 11 working days off in a row!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We are headed to Grand Island, NY for a wedding this weekend and after our Fearless Leader's many recommendations on this board, I am looking forward to checking out Bocce Club Pizza for lunch one of our days out there.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 1999
    (Caye Caulker ... non-deadly sharks)
    Non-deadly? Who sold you that Brooklyn Bridge?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Non-deadly? Who sold you that Brooklyn Bridge?
    Ha! They are Nurse Sharks. They'll bite if stepped on (and they spend a lot of time in the day sleeping in shallows) but overall are a very docile shark and a popular one for snorkelers/divers to view up close. They are relatives of the whale shark. But they can be BIG - up to 14 feet!

And there's only one Brooklyn Bridge. I should know, my payments are almost over and soon I'll have title!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Girls beach trip left today and will return late Saturday. God only knows what will happen during that, but since a half gallon of vodka left the house with Mrs. P, I have an idea of some of their plans.

Guys golf trip leaves in 3 weeks and will include 4 days of golf, 4 days of drinking, 4 days of general debauchery & 1 MLB game.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    I have 2 weeks of vacation that i need to use by August 1. I can carry them over 90 days after if I want. I'll probably use a few days to take some long weekeends to help move into the new house. Not sure if we'll be going on any more trips this year, since we already did Disney for spring break.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ha! They are Nurse Sharks. They'll bite if stepped on (and they spend a lot of time in the day sleeping in shallows) but overall are a very docile shark and a popular one for snorkelers/divers to view up close. They are relatives of the whale shark. But they can be BIG - up to 14 feet!

And there's only one Brooklyn Bridge. I should know, my payments are almost over and soon I'll have title!
    Are you sure you don't mean Nerf Sharks? I swear that is what they called them when we went snorkeling off the Keys when I was around 16.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Are you sure you don't mean Nerf Sharks? I swear that is what they called them when we went snorkeling off the Keys when I was around 16.
    Nerf sharks are the safest!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Nerf sharks are the safest!
    That's because they've all been neutered to supply the nerf ball market.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    We are headed to Grand Island, NY for a wedding this weekend and after our Fearless Leader's many recommendations on this board, I am looking forward to checking out Bocce Club Pizza for lunch one of our days out there.
    I've always heard that this was a fun place:
    https://www.martinsfantasyisland.com/index.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm taking the next 4 Friday's off as vacation days so I don't lose them.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have a little problem - have 10 days of vacation still to take

besides the days reserved for X-mas (8 days), Thankgiving (3days), monday before the election (1day)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. How much vacation time do you get?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 1:26 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 04 Dec 2008, 5:58 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 9:51 PM