Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Paintings that tell a story

Registered
    Feb 2004

Paintings that tell a story

Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' is one of my favorite paintings. I always felt like it invited the viewer to tell a story that might explain the scene in this lonely diner at night. Did the couple sitting next to each other arrive together? and if so where did they just come from? or did they meet there? How about the guy with his back to you, what's he doing there? Does he speak to the couple or the clerk?

There was an old framed 1950's vintage Remington print that was in the basement of our childhood home when we bought it. The scene appears to be taking place in a hunting cabin early in the morning. My brother and I used to create stories to explain who each of the people were and what they were doing there.

Are there certain paintings that beg stories in your mind?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011

'A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte'. I think besides 'Nighthawks', this is one of those that has so many stories you could put together.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post

'A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte'. I think besides 'Nighthawks', this is one of those that has so many stories you could put together.
    The dog clearly belongs to the reclining hipster on the left. The hipster is thinking to himself "such a lovely sunny day to spend with one's dog at the park. It is a shame that frisbees will not be invented for another 70 years, cuz I'd love to throw one to my dog right now".

And wow, 19th century French women sure had some serious badonkadonk
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been fortunate to see both "Nighthawks" and "A Sunday Afternoon..." in separate exhibits. I think at the De Young in San Francisco. Amazing works of art.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One time I was visiting the Chicago Art Institute and I happened to look behind me and noticed in a rather inconspicuous/unobtrusive location was Grant Wood's American Gothic.

I would have thought a painting of that importance would be prominently displayed with its own wall and lots of educational materials. But no, it was like one of five paintings displayed in that area. No pomp and circumstance whatsoever (heck, I don't even recall seeing a guard in the immediate area) surrounding this famous painting. Then again, I suppose muted, understated, and plain are kinda what that painting is all about.

The City of San Francisco is truly a giant when it comes to the world of art. It's right up there with Paris, London, and New York. There are always incredible art exhibits going on in multiple locations on any given day of the year.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    American Gothic says get off my lawn pre shotgun days
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    American Gothic says get off my lawn pre shotgun days
    I bet American Gothic is the most parodied painting of all time. Probably even more than the Mona Lisa

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    ONE GUY did all of those?

Registered
    May 2006

Edouard Manet, 1887.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LP Story time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 24 Feb 2015, 2:16 PM
  2. What is a story?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3