Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Okay, I got about a third of a large spiral ham leftover that we started with on Monday. Had meat/potato/two veggies the first two nights, and ham yaki soba last night. Ham sandwiches for lunch the last couple days. Now what?

I'm posing the Eternal Question first, but others can feel free to pose the same question and I promise I will reciprocate and add any suggestions I might have.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Okay, I got about a third of a large spiral ham leftover that we started with on Monday. Had meat/potato/two veggies the first two nights, and ham yaki soba last night. Ham sandwiches for lunch the last couple days. Now what?

I'm posing the Eternal Question first, but others can feel free to pose the same question and I promise I will reciprocate and add any suggestions I might have.
    I'd probably go with some type of casserole, with broccoli.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Ham and Cheese omelettes
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Perhaps fried slices of ham, to go with some fried eggs and pancakes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I second the breakfast-for-dinner suggestions.

Also, something my mom often does with leftover ham is she throws it in to a split pea soup. She's got a great recipe for it. I know split pea soup is not everyone's favorite, but I always liked it, and I'm not a big fan of peas either.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about Going Out ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about Going Out ?
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Too much ham in one week's time.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ham, asparagus and goat cheese fritatta.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I made a risotto a few weeks ago with ham. I think it was risotto, ham, cheese, parsley, chicken stock.

Registered
    May 2004
    chef salad
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ham Fritata...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm leaning towards breakfast at the moment. The only problem with omelettes is Mrs. Maister is allergic to eggs which just leaves Junior and I for the omelettes. She could, of course, just have fried ham and maybe pancakes to go with
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2002
    What about a soup - Bean, Split Bea, or even a Ham and Corn Chowder. Mix up a salad and some rolls, voila!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    We have a sub-themed restaurant for dinner at least 3 times per week. Get it with no mayo and the calories fall off.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Feed the old ham to the dog and get a take-out pizza for your family.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I make a tasty ham and hash brown casserole that contains no eggs: can of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, bacon crumbles, colby jack cheese, pimientos (you could sub with scallions or green pepper).

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hawaiian pizza. Make it easy; get a pre-made crust, canned pineapple, a jar of pizza sauce, and package of shredded mozzarella. Assemble, heat as directed, serve.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Senate Bean Soup

2 pounds navy beans
    4 quarts water
    1 1/2 cups of diced ham
    4 tablespoons of butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 stalks of celery, chopped 1/4" pieces plus some of the leaves chopped up
    Salt and pepper

Rinse the beans in hot water until they are white. Place them in a stockpot, add the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and celery until tender. Add the onion and celery to the pot of beans. Remove 2 cups of the bean mixture, puree in a blender, and return to the soup. Add to ham to soup mixture. Just before serving, season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste.

I like mine with some hot sauce
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Tonight's quick fire challenge with involve 1/3 of a 4 day old ham. The celebrity judge is Maister, city planner, voice actor, moderator and ironic curmudgen in training. You have 30 minutes to come up with your dish. Time starts now.

30 minutes later -hands up, utensiles down
    Utter chaos and swearing starts

As Padma and Maister walk around the kitchen

Chief Lisa-what did you come up with?
    I came up with Ham Soup- with split pea, bacon, scallions and fresh veggies

Chief Todd-what did you come with?
    Given Maister's irony-I used miracle berry and how the ham tastes like chocolate. Placed the ham in a pie crust with and now it taste like chocolate pie

Chief BUN-what did you come up with
    Well Padma- since it was 4 days old, I threw it the trash and ordered a pizza

And th winner is?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Hawaiian pizza. Make it easy; get a pre-made crust, canned pineapple, a jar of pizza sauce, and package of shredded mozzarella. Assemble, heat as directed, serve.
    Yes! Great idea! I'm all of a sudden looking forward to easter

'm posing the Eternal Question first, but others can feel free to pose the same question and I promise I will reciprocate and add any suggestions I might have.
    I have two avocados some pepper jack cheese and some leftover rice. I'm leaning towards adding some type of meat and some other stuff. Pleasz too halp?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So what did you pick? We all HAVE to know
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    So what did you pick? We all HAVE to know
    Seems JNA had the winning entry. I advocated for having breakfast for dinner. The family started their mutinous grumblings almost immediately (four days of ham in a row grumble grumble...) and we ended going out to the Indian restaurant and freezing/vacuum sealing the leftover ham so we can make bean soup later.

I expect this thread will frequently get bumped in the future. I can't tell you how many times I've read about food on Cyburbia and ended getting a hankering for chili/pizza/chana dal etc. based on someone mentioning a particular dish that strikes me as being particularly yummy at that moment.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    When you unfreeze it, you can make stir fried ham. Or is that fried hamster?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I know I am a day late with this suggestion, though it was an obvious one - groundhog!

They're kind of sluggish this time of year. Lure one out with the prospect of a photo op, then raise up your shovel - BAM - you're just a few grisly steps from roast groundhog with all the trimmings.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I know I am a day late with this suggestion, though it was an obvious one - groundhog!

They're kind of sluggish this time of year. Lure one out with the prospect of a photo op, then raise up your shovel - BAM - you're just a few grisly steps from roast groundhog with all the trimmings.
    Saw his shadow but he didn't see that one coming! Six more weeks of winter, my a$$!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 11:34 AM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 1:08 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 4:49 PM