Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ... we ended going out to the Indian restaurant and freezing/vacuum sealing the leftover ham...
    Indian food! That's even better than my suggestion of take-out pizza.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Indian food! That's even better than my suggestion of take-out pizza.
    I concur!

I would be jonesing for Indian food now but we're going out for Vietnamese food for dinner. YUM! Bun for everyone!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I concur!

I would be jonesing for Indian food now but we're going out for Vietnamese food for dinner. YUM! Bun for everyone!!
    That's a winning platform right there. Bun for everyone!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    How funny! I have had Indian food the past two nights. Chicken Korma (cashews, yogurt, raisins, saffron) with basmati rice and Chicken Vindaloo (a particularly spicy dish) also with basmati rice.

Tonight we will either have steaks and roasted Brussels Sprouts or Opa and roasted Brussels Sprouts. Clearly we need to eat our Brussels Sprouts.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Tonight we will either have steaks and roasted Brussels Sprouts or Opa and roasted Brussels Sprouts. Clearly we need to eat our Brussels Sprouts.
    There's food called Opa? That's what Greeks yell just before they smash their plates on the floor. BTW, that's what I'd do with a plate of Brussels Sprouts.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004

February 8 dinner challenge

I told you I was probably going to be bumping this thread frequently. Tonight's challenge: need to talk the missus out of having leftover goulash tonight and instead make something yummy that uses the 1 lb package of smoked bratwurst in the freezer. What can I do with the brats other than just grilling them?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I told you I was probably going to be bumping this thread frequently. Tonight's challenge: need to talk the missus out of having leftover goulash tonight and instead make something yummy that uses the 1 lb package of smoked bratwurst in the freezer. What can I do with the brats other than just grilling them?
    Fry'em? Boil'em? Dunno, Hubby just grills them year round.

How about slice them up into discs, fry them, and serve with sauerkraut?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you have potatoes and onions, cook them all in a skillet together for a nice potato/brat/onion mash up thing. Some butter, salt, and pepper is all that is needed.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    In my house, my wife would just eat the goulash and I woudld eat the brats. She doesn't like brats.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    That's a tough one. I like Hink's idea. I've had them in mac and cheese before, but that's the only non grilled way.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Throw them in a slow cooker, top with sauerkraut, baby red skins and carrots, cook all day, serve. YUMMO!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I've had them in mac and cheese before, but that's the only non grilled way.
    Sausage mac and cheese gets my vote.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Opa is a fish. It was delicious.

For the brats, try a gumbo using brats in lieu of sausage!

Beer, Brats, and Black Eyed Pea Gumbo

1 (1-1.25lb) package Bratwurst
    1 cup onion, diced
    1 cup carrot, diced
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup green pepper, diced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups frozen black eyed peas, thawed
    2 cups beer, your choice
    2 cups chicken stock
    Juice of half a lemon
    Cooked white rice, for serving
    Dash of hot sauce, optional

Heat a large pot on the stove top over medium-high heat. Cut bratwurst into ½ inch thick slices on the bias. Add the bratwurst to the pot and cook until all the fat has rendered and the bratwurst are cooked through. With a slotted spoon transfer the bratwurst from the pot to a large plate and reserve for later. Add the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper and garlic to the rendered fat from the brats; season with salt and pepper and cook veggies until just soft. Remove the softened vegetables from the pot and reserve for later.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter to the pot. Once the butter has melted whisk in the flour, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Cook the roux for 8-10 minutes or until it has developed into a nice golden brown color. Once you receive the desired color add the reserved vegetables and bratwurst back into the pot. Stir in the Cajun Seasoning, thyme, bay leaves, and black eyed peas; season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the beer and chicken stock and stir well to combine.

Simmer over medium heat until the Gumbo has thickened and reduced slightly, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in the juice of half a lemon to brighten the flavors at the very end. Serve the gumbo over white rice with a dash of hot sauce. Enjoy!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Beer, Brats, and Black Eyed Pea Gumbo........
    Copied, pasted, printed. We're trying that one. Thanks!!

Registered
    Feb 2004

1 (1-1.25lb) package Bratwurst
    1 cup onion, diced
    1 cup carrot, diced
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup green pepper, diced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups frozen black eyed peas, thawed
    2 cups beer, your choice
    2 cups chicken stock
    Juice of half a lemon
    Cooked white rice, for serving
    Dash of hot sauce, optional

Heat a large pot on the stove top over medium-high heat. Cut bratwurst into ½ inch thick slices on the bias. Add the bratwurst to the pot and cook until all the fat has rendered and the bratwurst are cooked through. With a slotted spoon transfer the bratwurst from the pot to a large plate and reserve for later. Add the onion, carrot, celery and green pepper and garlic to the rendered fat from the brats; season with salt and pepper and cook veggies until just soft. Remove the softened vegetables from the pot and reserve for later.
    Folks, you have got to try this. Not only did this get me out of another night of mediocre leftover goulash, but this is going to be a staple in our household. I didn't have any carrots on hand but otherwise followed the recipe verbatim and the results were wonderful! Thank you TS for this great recipe!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Folks, you have got to try this. Not only did this get me out of another night of mediocre leftover goulash, but this is going to be a staple in our household. I didn't have any carrots on hand but otherwise followed the recipe verbatim and the results were wonderful! Thank you TS for this great recipe!
    Do you think kielbasa could be substituted for the bratwurst?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Do you think kielbasa could be substituted for the bratwurst?
    I don't know why not. Next time I try I make it I'm going to try a spicier Ukrainian or a Winterfest sausage

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't know why not. Next time I try I make it I'm going to try a spicier Ukrainian or a Winterfest sausage
    'Tis the season for andouille sausage.

I think Hubby is going to make red beans and rice and andouille sausage for dinner tonight. Double YUM!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Tonight's quick fire challenge with involve 1/3 of a 4 day old ham. The celebrity judge is Maister, city planner, voice actor, moderator and ironic curmudgen in training. You have 30 minutes to come up with your dish. Time starts now.

30 minutes later -hands up, utensiles down
    Utter chaos and swearing starts

As Padma and Maister walk around the kitchen

Chief Lisa-what did you come up with?
    I came up with Ham Soup- with split pea, bacon, scallions and fresh veggies

Chief Todd-what did you come with?
    Given Maister's irony-I used miracle berry and how the ham tastes like chocolate. Placed the ham in a pie crust with and now it taste like chocolate pie

Chief BUN-what did you come up with
    Well Padma- since it was 4 days old, I threw it the trash and ordered a pizza

And th winner is?
    I nominate this as post of the week, but I guess that is because I really like Top Chef!

That gumbo looks awesome TS. That is going on my list for next week with some vegetarian sausages, yum!

Slightly OT: How many people write their shopping list around meals? About 4 or 5 years ago when I was dirt poor starting in my first job I started writing down my meals for the week at the top of my list and then filling my list with the ingredients for said meals. It helped cut down on the extra things that ended up in the cart, cutting my grocery bill since everything had a purpose. Only down side, is some of the less favorite meals get shifted to the end of the week or carried over to the next week in lieu of take out pizza or something.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    The kiddo and I are having french toast for dinner because I have bread to use up and because I don't feel like cooking a real meal tonight.

Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Slightly OT: How many people write their shopping list around meals? About 4 or 5 years ago when I was dirt poor starting in my first job I started writing down my meals for the week at the top of my list and then filling my list with the ingredients for said meals. It helped cut down on the extra things that ended up in the cart, cutting my grocery bill since everything had a purpose. Only down side, is some of the less favorite meals get shifted to the end of the week or carried over to the next week in lieu of take out pizza or something.
    All the time. I have a hard time coming up with meals for just the kiddo and myself, and the days she is at her dads I don't really cook. Writing it out for the week helps me to figure out what and how much I need.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I nominate this as post of the week, but I guess that is because I really like Top Chief
    I'm not much of a foodie, but like Top Chief, Chopped and Triple D

Was disappointed that Bev made it back in and Grayson didn't.

Registered
    Aug 2007

Sad, I thought Grayson was a better chef... plus she isn't bad to look at.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Sad, I thought Grayson was a better chef... plus she isn't bad to look at.
    Nice looking redhead, plus a bit of an attitude. One of the gals you'd love to go have a beer with, even if you don't drink

Registered
    Jan 2005

Top Chief. Is that an Indian tribal competition show?

I don't like Bev. I liked Ed. Now I like Paul.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 11:34 AM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 1:08 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 4:49 PM
  4. Replies: 22