Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Top Chief. Is that an Indian tribal competition show?

I don't like Bev. I liked Ed. Now I like Paul.
    I'm afraid they are setting her up for the win. The whole, underdog, nobody likes her but she overcomes it all to win thing. Your right about Paul, he the best of what's left. He's had the fewest missteps.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Tonight's challenge....is a PICNIC at the park!

I don't care whether we cook it ourselves or buy something take out.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

I'd go with cheese, crackers and a summer-type sausage.

Pick up a diced fruit selection at Meijer.

Go with some brownies for dessert.

Juice boxes for the kid. Some water bottles for the parents.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005

40s and a bucket of fried chicken. fudgecicles for dessert

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    40s and a bucket of fried chicken. fudgecicles for dessert
    You can tell btrage put a lot more thought and care into his response than you did. That said, I'm liking your suggestion best so far....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Picnic dinner! That sounds fun. On my imaginary picnic dinner menu:

Finger sandwiches
    You can put whatever you want in them, but I typically go with something different than normal sandwich combos.
    Try cucumber, mint, tomato, and mozzarella. Or, bell pepper, basil, bree, and balsamic vinegar.

Gazpacho! (if you have plastic bowls)
    Now this is my secret recipe, so don't go posting it all over the internet!
    Get your blender out.
    Throw in a tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, mango, mint, a touch of onion and garlic, salt/pepper to taste, and a decent squeeze of a lemon.

I am assuming there is no grill, if you have access to a grill make:
    Barbie Shrimp Poppers
    Shrimp
    Bacon
    Cream cheese
    Jalapenos

Chop jalapenos and mix into the cream cheese. Slice the shrimp down the belly and open slightly. Stuff the delicious hot cheese in there. Wrap in bacon. Fasten with toothpick. Throw it on the barbie. Salivate while waiting.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Perennial favorites - fried chicken (can substitute rotisserie), hard boiled eggs, baked beans, carrot sticks, lemonade, chocolate chip cookies. Or for desert you can also swing by the local ice cream shoppe.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd suggest going to a good deli, and picking up a selection of main-dish salads (chicken, Greek, etc). Pair those with some tasty bread/rolls or crackers, some berries, and cookies or brownies.

And maybe a bottle of sparkling wine for mom and dad.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Why is there even a discussion? Jimmy John's #2 Big John without mayo add cheese. 450 calories.

Case closed.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I definitely want to fix dirty rice for dinner tonight, but what else should go with it? (and it can't be seafood)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I definitely want to fix dirty rice for dinner tonight, but what else should go with it? (and it can't be seafood)
    Darn - my first thought was "fish tacos." Umm, cajun-spiced tofu? Seriously, I think I have a recipe for it somewhere if you're interested.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Chicken Liver

Just kidding!
    I like dirty rice as a main dish. If you are going to put sausage in it, then it works really well that way.
    Since dirty rice has carbs and protein, I like to pair it with a veggie overload.
    You could make some spicy veggies for the side, like eggplant, asparagus, and okra - roasted in the oven with some olive oil and creole seasoning.
    Perhaps some corn on the cob with garlic butter too!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Chicken Liver

Just kidding!
    I like dirty rice as a main dish. If you are going to put sausage in it, then it works really well that way.
    Since dirty rice has carbs and protein, I like to pair it with a veggie overload.
    You could make some spicy veggies for the side, like eggplant, asparagus, and okra - roasted in the oven with some olive oil and creole seasoning.
    YES!! I have about a half dozen stalks of asparagus ready to pick in my garden right now. I also have some frozen corn on the cob in the freezer (purchased from the farmers market last August). This will work perfectly!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Chicken Liver

Just kidding!
    Otterpop, a little help here, please. Since I live in dirty rice country, it's normally made with hamburger, not sausage. I've never had it with veggies. If you wanted to be authentic, serve okra or greens and gumbo. Use cajun seasoning instead of creole, it has kick to it. Personally, I have flaky biscuits with it. Now red beans and rice is is good with sausage- andouile (sp) or cajun sauasage can give it a decent kick.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I ended up making the dirty rice (using ground beef) with garden grown asparagus as a side. While it may not have been traditional cajun, it was very tasty.

There may be no proper solution for tonight's challenge.....I asked the missus what she wanted for dinner and she said 'it's a cold and rainy day. I want some nice hot soup.' I on the other hand agree that it is a cold rainy day, but feel that nice hot pizza is what the doctor ordered. Is there a middle way here? Is there such a things as a soup that goes well with pizza?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Going out with friends tonight, I hope they say Bonefish.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So last night I grilled pork chops and we had fried chicken the day before. I don't feel like grilling tonight. It's supposed to get up to about 90 today and I don't want to necessarily spend a lot of time in the kitchen with the oven going.....so with that said, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    So last night I grilled pork chops and we had fried chicken the day before. I don't feel like grilling tonight. It's supposed to get up to about 90 today and I don't want to necessarily spend a lot of time in the kitchen with the oven going.....so with that said, what should we have for dinner tonight?
    Stuffed tortelleni with meatsauce & garlic bread...add a salad for good measure.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Left-over homemade pizza tonight.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Tomorrow: slow cooker pot roast, and Bob Evans mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are always, always, good...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Otterpop, a little help here, please. Since I live in dirty rice country, it's normally made with hamburger, not sausage.
    What?! BLASPHEMY! It's made with chicken livers!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm curious what people with kids do for dinner on Halloween. We usually feed the girls a quick meal at home before the trick and treating begins, then I usually pick up some take-out for the wife and I after they go to bed.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Any suggestions from those who have or have had children as to what sort of dinner we should have on Halloween night? I'm thinking Sweet Tarts and Three Musketeers bars, but am open to other ideas....

EDIT: wow, btrage, great minds think alike.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We're picking up Chinese Takeout for dinner tonight before the little monsters go out and beg for candy in the 'hood.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm curious what people with kids do for dinner on Halloween. We usually feed the girls a quick meal at home before the trick and treating begins, then I usually pick up some take-out for the wife and I after they go to bed.
    That's what we did or simply skipped dinner if it took a while for the sugar rush to wear off.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 12:34 PM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 2:08 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 5:49 PM
  4. Replies: 22