Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    usually we have pizza or, if I have my act together, something out of a crock pot

this year, it's going to be a dinnerp arty at my house!

I am making roast chicken, crock pot mashed potatoes (hopefully they will be good), peas, roasted squash with onions, and a birthday chocolate cake for dessert! cool, huh?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    this year, it's going to be a dinnerp arty at my house!

I am making roast chicken, crock pot mashed potatoes (hopefully they will be good), peas, roasted squash with onions, and a birthday chocolate cake for dessert! cool, huh?
    Wow, am I invited?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Wow, am I invited?
    of course!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I always make "Pizza Loaves" on Halloween. You roll pepperoni and provolone up into a buttered scone dough flattened out and then bake it. After it's cooled a little you can slice it really easily like bread and the kids think it's uber-special. After trick or treating we always bake those big pretzels before bed.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Looks like we're going to do pizza tonite, but I think chicken noodle soup is in order for tomorrow night. The key is to get enough veggies in the mix.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We've decided on Vietnamese for dinner tonight after the gym. With any luck by the time we get home all the trick or treaters will be done.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    When the kid was trick or treating, on Halloween we'd usually have leftovers we could heat up in the microwave, or I'd make a meatloaf a day or two before and we'd have meatloaf sandwiches.

Now I'm wishing RJ would go on a golf trip so I could make meatloaf...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    When the kid was trick or treating, on Halloween we'd usually have leftovers we could heat up in the microwave, or I'd make a meatloaf a day or two before and we'd have meatloaf sandwiches.

Now I'm wishing RJ would go on a golf trip so I could make meatloaf...
    Mmmmmmm. We have leftover meatloaf and it will be sandwiches tonight. Yummmmmm.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I pulled a chicken out of the freezer, and in honor of Halloween, made ghoul-ash. Mmmmmm... especially with potato dumplings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Vietnamese Style Turkey Burgers!

1lb ground lean turkey
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Juice of 1/2 lime (save other half for cabbage topping)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    1/2" piece of ginger, peeled and minced (or 1/2 tsp ground powdered ginger)
    2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro

Mix all ingredients together and let flavors blend for 15 minutes. Cook on the grill, in a grill pan, or broil, etc til done. Serve on toasted buns or french bread topped with cabbage mix below. We like to mix mayonnaise with a bit of sriracha chili sauce and spread on the buns before eating for a kick.

2 c. bagged coleslaw mix
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a bowl mix soy sauce, lime juice, sugar together until sugar dissolves. Add coleslaw mix and cilantro to the bowl and toss til coated. Let sit while burgers are cooking. (It's really tasty so double it if you want it as a side dish)
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    The girls had frozen dinners and we had Taco Bell later on.

Yeah, that's how we roll.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the crock pot mashed potatoes was an epic fail but luckily I realized it as I was preparing the chicken for the oven and threw a bunch of stuff to roast (potatoes, carrots, onions and squash) so it was an epic save!

Registered
    May 2005
    Tonight will be chicken enchiladas. The chicken will be cooked in the slow cooker first, then everything will be compiled and placed in the oven.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonight I will be making rouladen, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. This follows last night's goulash. Definitely eating old world lately. Fall does that to me.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Tonight will be chicken enchiladas. The chicken will be cooked in the slow cooker first, then everything will be compiled and placed in the oven.
    Along with the chicken, I also put seasoning, some diced onion, corn and black bean salsa and some queso.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Tonight I will be making rouladen, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. This follows last night's goulash. Definitely eating old world lately. Fall does that to me.
    Had a roommate in college whose parents were from Germany. He made great rouladen but was such a slob in the kitchen that nobody wanted to have to clean up after him.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Guys night again... I think we are going to have some sort of potato dish...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Care to share the recipe?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Care to share the recipe?
    I tend to do my shredded chicken for Mexican dishes like I make chili; I rarely follow a recipe.

I used about 1.25 lbs of chicken tenderloins and a packet of taco seasoning, a small diced onion, about half a cup of salsa and about half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Slow cooked for about 5 hours on low. The chicken becomes very tender and is easy to shred. I would've added a hot sauce and/or cumin to spice it up but my daughters probably wouldn't have liked it.

I just use store bough tortillas shells and canned enchilada sauces. After everything is compiled, stick in the over at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonight we're having an Alfredo sauce over sausage stuffed tortellini, garlic bread, and green salad.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonight we're having an Alfredo sauce over sausage stuffed tortellini, garlic bread, and green salad.
    With a nice bottle of Merlot?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tend to do my shredded chicken for Mexican dishes like I make chili; I rarely follow a recipe.
    I'm making chicken enchiladas tonight loosely based on your recipe. Thanks.

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    With a nice bottle of Merlot?
    A$$clown.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've started some beef minestrone soup for tonight. Couldn't find a recipe I liked. So I'm calling it "minestrone mélange." What ever is in the house ended up in the mélange. It's looking more like stew than soup. Whatta ya gonna do?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've got some leftover basmati rice, so I think I'll make a pan of refried beans to go with it. We also have a ton of cilantro and culantro to use up.

I'd rather order a pizza, to tell you the truth, but we're having snow squalls and I don't feel like going out to pick it up. We're not in anyone's delivery zone.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've started some beef minestrone soup for tonight. Couldn't find a recipe I liked. So I'm calling it "minestrone mélange." What ever is in the house ended up in the mélange. It's looking more like stew than soup. Whatta ya gonna do?
    I like this approach. I recently started with a standard recipe for shepherd's pie and then doctored it up using a few new spices and vegetables to create "German shepherd's pie".

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 12:34 PM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 2:08 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 5:49 PM