Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I've started some beef minestrone soup for tonight. Couldn't find a recipe I liked. So I'm calling it "minestrone mélange." What ever is in the house ended up in the mélange. It's looking more like stew than soup. Whatta ya gonna do?
    You should make my Italian wedding soup. It's super tasty. I made it on Saturday with some fresh baked herbed cheese bread
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I suspect there will be a peasant revolt if Thanksgiving leftovers are served again for dinner tonight. What is the farthest thing from Thanksgiving fare we could have?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Turkey sandwiches last night.

I'm gonna grill something tonight. I'm leaning towards steak.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mixed green salad with dungeness crab and Molinari salami.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Mac and cheese.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Blackened salmon with caesar salad

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonight we are having fondue with some Italian sausage mixed into the cheese.

I need to get my ass in gear and start the process.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'm doing some slow cooked BBQ pulled pork.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 08 Dec 2012 at 4:07 PM. Reason: getting my ass in gear and reporting on tomorrow

Registered
    Aug 2004
    It's Marathon Race Eve, so we're having pizza tonight! It's the carb-load option of the runner in this household. He gets a thick crust, his favorite carnivorous toppings, and stuffs himself silly.
    I get a thin crust with veggies.

We also get two pizzas, which means I'll be having leftover pizza for lunch tomorrow.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Help! Help! I do NOT know what the heck we can do for dinner tonight. Here's the scenario: Wifey came down with the norovirus on Saturday night and she is just....just starting to feel well enough to keep food down that is more substantial than chicken broth. So I need something that is relatively bland and neither difficult to digest or apt to upset ones stomach, yet is going to be palatable enough for Junior and I (and I am frankly getting sick of bland food because Junior had the norovirus first and we are going on a week of bland food..

That's a pretty tall order to fill and I may just make her a bowl of gruel or mush and Junior and I can order pizza for ourselves.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    For you Maister I suggest tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

As for us it's gonna be chicken chili
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maister, please don't eat pizza at home in front the The Maistress. The smell alone may be too much for her.....

I'd add something solid and mildly seasoned to the chicken broth for now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Tonight's challenge: time. I don't want to go out tonight (well, can't afford is probably closer to the truth) and have limited time for food prep and cooking due to other obligations. I'd like to get dinner made and on the table in 30 mins or less.
    What do you suggest?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Tonight's challenge: time. I don't want to go out tonight (well, can't afford is probably closer to the truth) and have limited time for food prep and cooking due to other obligations. I'd like to get dinner made and on the table in 30 mins or less.
    What do you suggest?
    Breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, egg and cheese omelettes. Maybe a few veggies in the omelettes. I know that seems like a cop out, but sometimes I find breakfast foods more appealing in the evening than at night.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    There's always the super easy chicken taco idea.
    Go to the store and get one of those ready made whole chickens.
    Shred the chicken and put it in a taco shell or tortilla with some taco sauce and the usual fixens.
    Cheap and easy!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Breakfast for dinner. Pancakes, egg and cheese omelettes. Maybe a few veggies in the omelettes. I know that seems like a cop out, but sometimes I find breakfast foods more appealing in the evening than at night.
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    There's always the super easy chicken taco idea.
    Go to the store and get one of those ready made whole chickens.
    Shred the chicken and put it in a taco shell or tortilla with some taco sauce and the usual fixens.
    Cheap and easy!
    Boy, you make it tough. Those are both good suggestions.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What do you suggest?
    Spaghetti and meatballs. I used to think it was a treat growing up though now I eat pasta so much it really isn't.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    What do you suggest?
    Ramen & Spam
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    1lb of chicken or pork sweet italian sausage links
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    4 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 tsp each Basil & Oregano
    Salt to taste
    (chili flakes, optional)
    Cooked Pasta

Brown up the sausage, remove from pan and slice up, meanwhile add crushed tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and salt to taste and bring to a simmer. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 10 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta (I use angel hair because it cooks fast!). Throw a loaf of frozen garlic bread into the oven and serve with a bagged salad mix on the side. You can add chili flakes if you like is a little spicy.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We're going to the local mexican restaurant with another couple.

That's always an option...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    1lb of chicken or pork sweet italian sausage links
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    4 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 tsp each Basil & Oregano
    Salt to taste
    (chili flakes, optional)
    Cooked Pasta

Brown up the sausage, remove from pan and slice up, meanwhile add crushed tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and salt to taste and bring to a simmer. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 10 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta (I use angel hair because it cooks fast!). Throw a loaf of frozen garlic bread into the oven and serve with a bagged salad mix on the side. You can add chili flakes if you like is a little spicy.
    I make this, too! It's a made-up recipe, and both boys eat it.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Tonite is split-pea soup, (cold this eve), sauteed brussels sprouts, mini-baguette toasted with hummus.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I make this, too! It's a made-up recipe, and both boys eat it.
    Yep! RT wanted a jar of sauce that was like $7 in the store one time, I looked at the ingredients and made it myself for about $2. I threw the sausage in because that's what was in the freezer. Funny how that happens!

My favorite made up dish from my mom:

1 top round steak (1-1.5 lbs) cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can Campbell's golden mushroom soup
    2 cans of water
    1-2 tsp seasoned salt (to taste)
    fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    cooked egg noodles

In a dutch oven, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium high heat, add the round steak, and brown. Add the soups, water, herbs, and salt/pepper. Simmer over low heat stirring occasionally for 60-90 minutes until beef is tender. Serve over egg noodles.

This also works great in a crock pot. Brown the beef and put it in the bottom of the crock pot, mix the remaining ingredients together and pour on top. Cook at the low setting for 8 hours.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We ended up doing breakfast for dinner last night. Malted pancakes, apple sausage, scrambled eggs (w/ smoked cheddar and hot sauce), and cranberry/grape juice. Mmm mmm! And it took under 30 minutes to get 'dinner' on the table!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Crab legs are another very easy meal. Boil in salted water for a few minutes and serve with a baked potato and salad. Yum.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Next time, go with Chinese take-out.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 11:34 AM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club