Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'help me figure out what to have for dinner tonight' thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's a good probability we'll go out to a restaurant tonight (on Friday night - sheesh, could I possibly be more part of the herd?). The question is where?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    We're going to a BD's Mongolian BBQ tonight.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    We're going to a BD's Mongolian BBQ tonight.
    That sounds yummy. I think we'll do that too. You always seem to come up with the best choices on the first try (at least you hit a bullseye with breakfast for dinner last week).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm making enchiladas for dinner before we go see Rodney Carrington…

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Tonight we're having slow-cooker pot roast, mashed potatoes, and waldorf salad. In deference to Mr Northern CA, I am using walnuts in the salad rather than the preferred pecans. Also, no raisins.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Tonight we're having slow-cooker pot roast, mashed potatoes, and waldorf salad. In deference to Mr Northern CA, I am using walnuts in the salad rather than the preferred pecans. Also, no raisins.
    Yeah, raisins are a SoCal thing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No banana in the waldorf salad...my mom had banana in her waldorf.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    No banana in the waldorf salad...my mom had banana in her waldorf.
    You didn't say anything about bananas. We don't do bananas in waldorf in the south... in a stretch, grapes, but not bananas...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Marinated pork tenderloin and homemade mac 'n cheese. RT will be happy when she gets home.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2002
    We went to Trader Joe's over the weekend for the first time in years. I bought "authentic" English bangers and tonight we're having them. Mrs. Me is making Bangers and Mash!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Because Junior has done so well lately with his schoolwork we're going to let him pick where we go out to dinner tonight.

I'm guessing he'll pick "Old Country Buffet" (because he just loves that authentic Old World dining experience they offer).

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Because Junior has done so well lately with his schoolwork we're going to let him pick where we go out to dinner tonight.

I'm guessing he'll pick "Old Country Buffet" (because he just loves that authentic Old World dining experience they offer).
    No Chuck E. Cheese in your area?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    No Chuck E. Cheese in your area?
    Certainly, but Charles Emerson Cheese's dining establishments do not offer unlimited refills on Slurpees as is the case with Olde Country Buffet (which I think everyone can agree is a hallmark of all genuinely fine dining experiences)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Certainly, but Charles Emerson Cheese's dining establishments do not offer unlimited refills on Slurpees as is the case with Olde Country Buffet (which I think everyone can agree is a hallmark of all genuinely fine dining experiences)
    Do you secretly live in Utah, or is your part of Michigan just full of my kind of people?!?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Do you secretly live in Utah, or is your part of Michigan just full of my kind of people?!?
    If by "my kind of people" you mean tacky, lowbrow, uncultured, proletariat rabble....then I suppose so.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If by "my kind of people" you mean tacky, lowbrow, uncultured, proletariat rabble....then I suppose so.
    The longer I've been away from that part of Michigan, the more convinced I am that it's so.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hey I thought it was my corner of Michigan that had 'those people'! LOL
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001

Rigatoni with Spicy Calabrese-Style Pork Ragù

ZG is making this tonight. And the house smells great!!!

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...tyle-pork-ragu

Registered
    Sep 1999
    ZG is making this tonight. And the house smells great!!!

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...tyle-pork-ragu
    It was good, but the simmering for four hours....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Roasted prime rib tomorrow night (severe storms forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening) and barbecued pulled pork in the slow cooker on Sunday.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Roasted prime rib tomorrow night (severe storms forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening) and barbecued pulled pork in the slow cooker on Sunday.
    Menu reversed because I found freshly baked Texas toast at Publix this morning.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I cooked a mixture of ground beef, Italian sausage, tomato sauce, and special spices this morning. Spaghetti with sides of fresh bread and salad tonight. Enough of the meat sauce will be leftover to make a lasagna for next weekend (even though ZG and her son hate my lasagna). Only need to get the mozzarella and ricotta cheeses.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're only snacking/grazing for dinner tonight. A big lunch will bring on that condition.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Tri-tip

The last time ZG bought a tri-tip, it was not one big chuck of meat. Rather, it was cut into steaks. We liked them. I bought some over the weekend and we're having them again tonight in a marinade.

I like me some tri-tip.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The last time ZG bought a tri-tip, it was not one big chuck of meat. Rather, it was cut into steaks. We liked them. I bought some over the weekend and we're having them again tonight in a marinade.

I like me some tri-tip.
    Living in the unofficial home of tri-tip I say nice choice. When I first moved out here to CA we tried SM Style BBQ, while mighty tasty it was more like grilled steaks and less like BBQ The only problem was we had no idea what we were supposed to do with all the accoutrements (beans, salsa, garlic bread and relish tray). I have a problem when I don't know what or how I am supposed to eat a food, Indian food is a good example of this. I don't know what goes with what so I pile it on my plate and eat it all together like some slack-jawed yokel.

Back to the topic, tonight was left over chocolate banana pancakes from yesterday. Tomorrow is an attempt at grilled pork chops and peaches, AIB http://chelseawinter.co.nz/pork-chop...-garlic-sauce/

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2006, 11:34 AM
  2. Dinner With The President
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 1:08 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 4:49 PM
  4. Replies: 22