Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Summer Job

Summer Job

I am in my 4th year of a Geography undergrad and I will be starting my masters in planning in the fall of 2012. Can anyone give me some advice in getting a summer job in the planning field ??? I live in Ontario, Canada and I am really eager to learn and get experience!! If someone can give me any advice I would really appreciate it!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by davidwestbrook View post
    Can anyone give me some advice in getting a summer job in the planning field ??? )
    Job market very, very tight with masters grads and some laid off planners willing to take an internship to get a foot in the door.

Work the phones, ask your professors, pound the pavement, knock on doors, find resumes that are successful, nail your cover letter, get a portfolio together if you have one...
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Best piece of advice is to volunteer, if you can afford to do so. Few will turn away free help, and it will get you valuable experience. And if you're good, they might even start paying you eventually...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think that you should begin networking now. Call around and see if anyone has any work they need to get done. Specific projects are always key. Small things that can get you experience. I wouldn't begin to ask for money unless they are eager to have you. My guess would be they can't pay you for the work.

If you set up something where you work 2-3 days a week as a volunteer and then get a job that pays something somewhere else, you can make some money to live and get the experience that is necessary to even get your foot in the door these days.

Good luck. Networking is key. If someone knows you want to work, they might think of a project by the time you need the work...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Job market very, very tight with masters grads and some laid off planners willing to take an internship to get a foot in the door.

Work the phones, ask your professors, pound the pavement, knock on doors, find resumes that are successful, nail your cover letter, get a portfolio together if you have one...
    This is what I did and it works. I'll also echo what other's have said: be prepared to work as a volunteer. My peers who thought that they were too good to work for free now have no experience. Goodluck on the masters degree
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

thank you very much for the help guys. I really do appreciate it. If I do offer to volunteer my services, will it matter that I do not have any current planning experience? Is it likely that I will find a job easily that way? I do have a part time job that I could scape by on if im also volunteering.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by davidwestbrook View post
    thank you very much for the help guys. I really do appreciate it. If I do offer to volunteer my services, will it matter that I do not have any current planning experience? Is it likely that I will find a job easily that way? I do have a part time job that I could scape by on if im also volunteering.
    It's free labor. You wouldn't need to volunteer if you had experience - you'd be looking for paid employment.

Also, don't necessarily limit yourself to planning firms (though do go after those). Architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, etc. all may have some components related to planning. While not as ideal as a planning internship, it would be better than nothing if you can't find a planning internship.

Just make sure to prepare a nice (well-written!!!) cover letter, and make sure your resume has no typos or mistakes. Also, what others have said
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I am in my fourth year towards my Geography degree at Penn State (will be graduating in fall 2012, so start grad school in 2013) and have been talking to the Planning Committee back home in Puerto Rico. It seems like I am going to be working as a volunteer for either the GIS department or the land use department. I wasn't being offered anything so I just straight up volunteered. If all goes well I will try to work there for a few months after finishing my degree and before entering grad school.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It isn't summer until....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Jun 2012, 1:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 12:30 PM
  3. Summer read?
    Book Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2008, 10:22 PM