Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Girl Scout Cookies

  1. #1

    Girl Scout Cookies

    Well placed my order yesterday. Now have to wait a month for tag-a-longs and samoas to get here. So have you place your order and if you did, what are you getting?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian SW MI Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Well placed my order yesterday. Now have to wait a month for tag-a-longs and samoas to get here. So have you place your order and if you did, what are you getting?
    My daughter is selling them, lucky me! We have to get the order in on 2/20 and so I haven't ordered any yet. Suspect I'll order some thin mints and tag-a-longs (or whatever the peanut butter kind is called).

  3. #3
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,630
    Thin mints and tag-alongs are my favorite!! I don't order GS cookies anymore because I can't be trusted with them.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,872
    My favorite is the samoas, and I'm not too big into sharing.

    They got these new lemon cookies that are pretty good, if you're into that kind.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Salmissra's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,894
    The Samoas are the bestest cookies in the GS cookie universe! And a couple of years ago I saw Dreyer's had some ice cream that uses GS cookies, usually blended with vanilla (AIB cookies-n-cream). The Dreyer's mix of ice cream and Samoa's had me eating out of the carton!

    I haven't ordered any, and I hope to stay away this year. As others have stated, it's hard to share, even knowing that eating a whole box is bad for you. My AD's daughter sells them, and last year I felt some subtle pressure to order from her. I guess I wasn't the only one, and someone must have said something, because this year there's no pressure. He just has the order sheet on the wall by his office, instead of walking it cube-to-cube.

    My hubby gets upset when it's his turn to go to the store, and the GS with parents are hanging out by the entrance, selling boxes. I just think "at least I don't have to be out doing that on a weekend!"
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

  6. #6
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    21,935
    I ordered an obligatory box of thin mints and box of samoas
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  7. #7
    Cyburbian jsk1983's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,379
    Don't know any Girl Scouts so I guess I'll have to hope I find some selling them somewhere.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    I bought a few boxes from someone at work who has daughters then I got a call from my niece.

    My niece wanted me to buy Girl Scout Cookies. I had a couple of issues with this, first she is not a Girls Scout, second she lives in California and could never deliver them. I was pretty sure her younger sister is a brownie so I let her pitch me.

    After her pitch I explained to her that she was not a Girl Scout and I already ordered some from a girl who could actually deliver them to me. My niece explained that she was selling them for her sister and that she could deliver them when she comes to see me this summer by plane. So I ask her how much are the girl scout cookies in California? Her area is selling them for $4 a box, which is pretty steep compared to what I would pay locally, and she added that I should buy 1,000 (yes 1,000) boxes! I told her $4,000 is a lot of money to spend on cookies and how was she going to fly 1,000 boxes with her on the plane? Why would I need to buy so many??

    It turns out the little sneak is trying to get an i-Pad for nothing and is using her sister to do so. I laughed and told her that maybe if the prices come down I might consider buying her and her sister one they could share, and it would probably save me $3,700! I ask to speak to her sister and she said 'no'.

    A few days later her sister calls I tell her to pick out a box of her favorites and have her big sister do the same. I also mentioned that locally they were buying boxes for charity (they will go to a homeless shelter for youth) and asked if they are doing that in California, she said no. The cookies were going to soldiers. I told her I will buy 2 more boxes for the soldiers and she was thrilled that she sold me 4 boxes.

    I bet big sis now thinks I am a cheapskate!

    My favorites are having a few shortbreads with coffee or tea, and the peanut butter.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    21,900
    Thin Mints !

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Tag-A-Longs

    Is that what they are called.....Tag-A-Longs? Me like.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,856
    RJ brought home a box of Girl Scout cookies (don't remember what kind) several years ago; I finally threw it out maybe a year later because nobody would eat any. The next year a couple little scouts came by and I said I didn't want any cookies, but I'd give them a donation. Thankfully, they had a program where we could "buy" cookies, but the scouts would deliver them to an area nursing or veterans' home. I liked that.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian jsk1983's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I bought a few boxes from someone at work who has daughters then I got a call from my niece.

    My niece wanted me to buy Girl Scout Cookies. I had a couple of issues with this, first she is not a Girls Scout, second she lives in California and could never deliver them. I was pretty sure her younger sister is a brownie so I let her pitch me.

    After her pitch I explained to her that she was not a Girl Scout and I already ordered some from a girl who could actually deliver them to me. My niece explained that she was selling them for her sister and that she could deliver them when she comes to see me this summer by plane. So I ask her how much are the girl scout cookies in California? Her area is selling them for $4 a box, which is pretty steep compared to what I would pay locally, and she added that I should buy 1,000 (yes 1,000) boxes! I told her $4,000 is a lot of money to spend on cookies and how was she going to fly 1,000 boxes with her on the plane? Why would I need to buy so many??

    It turns out the little sneak is trying to get an i-Pad for nothing and is using her sister to do so. I laughed and told her that maybe if the prices come down I might consider buying her and her sister one they could share, and it would probably save me $3,700! I ask to speak to her sister and she said 'no'.

    A few days later her sister calls I tell her to pick out a box of her favorites and have her big sister do the same. I also mentioned that locally they were buying boxes for charity (they will go to a homeless shelter for youth) and asked if they are doing that in California, she said no. The cookies were going to soldiers. I told her I will buy 2 more boxes for the soldiers and she was thrilled that she sold me 4 boxes.

    I bet big sis now thinks I am a cheapskate!

    My favorites are having a few shortbreads with coffee or tea, and the peanut butter.
    When I was in Buffalo last year I remember paying $3 a box from some girls selling them at the mall. The times I've bought them in Chicago they've been $4.00 a box. Maybe prices vary based on region?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,637
    Blog entries
    5
    Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Patties. YUM!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  14. #14
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    When I was in Buffalo last year I remember paying $3 a box from some girls selling them at the mall. The times I've bought them in Chicago they've been $4.00 a box. Maybe prices vary based on region?
    Detroit has two Girls Scout regions. Several years ago some parents were selling them for $3 a box (the area associated with the Norther Council) while Detroit council were selling them for $3.50! Talk about girl scout smack down between parents who leave the cookie sheets in the lunchroom!

    Current Detroit prices are $3.50. This makes sense considering we are about halfway between Buffalo and Chicago. Sis is now in Laguna Beach, CA where everything costs more.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  15. #15
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knee deep in the hoopla
    Posts
    1,581
    Mine were just delivered to me this morning... one box each of Thin Mints, Samoas, Tag-alongs, and Do-Si-Dos. I enjoy supporting the Girl Scouts. I remember the good old days when I was a Scout and they were $2 a box... sigh.

  16. #16
    Y'all do realize that you are supporting Planned Parenthood and other misanthropes when you buy those cookies from the GSA, right? Well, this Indiana State Representative seems to think so ... Idjot.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  17. #17
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Y'all do realize that you are supporting Planned Parenthood and other misanthropes when you buy those cookies from the GSA, right? Well, this Indiana State Representative seems to think so ... Idjot.
    I like how the Republican Speaker of the House bought cases of GS cookies and distributed them. He also had all the members of the general assembly who where GS stand up. The idoit who said these things should do the honorable thing and not run next time.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Fortune cookies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 May 2010, 4:24 PM
  2. Girl Scout Cookies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 07 Mar 2006, 3:01 PM
  3. Girls Sued for Delivering Cookies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 10 Feb 2005, 3:24 PM
  4. More Shocking Than The Scout Thread?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 08 Nov 2002, 3:04 PM
  5. Replies: 43
    Last post: 04 Nov 2002, 5:06 PM