Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Women and jeans

Registered
    Dec 2008

Women and jeans

How do women of all sizes get their jeans to fit so well? It doesn't matter if they have big butts and big legs or big butts and tiny little legs the jeans always seems to fit to their exact body. You'd think the ones made for big butts would have baggy legs. Now take most men's jeans - for those of us with a little extra weight (could be only 10-15 pounds) the jeans are always really baggy or really tight around the behind. How are women's jeans made to fit any body type?

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 09 Feb 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    How do women of all sizes get their jeans to fit so well? It doesn't matter if they have big butts and big legs or big butts and tiny little legs the jeans always seems to fit to their exact body. You'd think the ones made for big butts would have baggy legs. Now take most men's jeans - for those of us with a little extra weight (could be only 10-15 pounds) the jeans are always really baggy or really tight around the behind. How are women's jeans made to fit any body type?
    Most of us try on a LOT of pairs to find ones that fit. For every decent pair I have, I've tried on10 or more pairs that didn't fit correctly. The fit varies so much across brands. I try on pairs in what should be my size, and they might be too long (the worst problem), too high-waisted, too baggy somewhere, too tight somewhere; you name it. And I have a lot fewer styles available to try than non-petites.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Most of us try on a LOT of pairs to find ones that fit. For every decent pair I have, I've tried on10 or more pairs that didn't fit correctly. The fit varies so much across brands. I try on pairs in what should be my size, and they might be too long (the worst problem), too high-waisted, too baggy somewhere, too tight somewhere; you name it. And I have a lot fewer styles available to try than non-petites.
    Precisely what I was going to say. Women try on A LOT of jeans trying to find the one that fits. Between brands there is a huge variation in sizing and the cut matters too because not every style.cut works on every body type. One thing that has helped in the past decade or so is having a little bit of stretch added to the denim. I usually find a style/brand that fits well and looks good and then buy it in a couple of different washes.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Precisely what I was going to say. Women try on A LOT of jeans trying to find the one that fits. Between brands there is a huge variation in sizing and the cut matters too because not every style.cut works on every body type. One thing that has helped in the past decade or so is having a little bit of stretch added to the denim. I usually find a style/brand that fits well and looks good and then buy it in a couple of different washes.
    Another reason why I enjoy being a man. I can grab a pair of jeans off the shelf in my size, purchase them, take them home and they fit. Sorry, donk.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Another reason why I enjoy being a man. I can grab a pair of jeans off the shelf in my size, purchase them, take them home and they fit. Sorry, donk.
    That's not just because you're a guy. Granted, men's sizes may be more standardized with actual waist and length measurements, but there are still different cuts, like relaxed, baggy, "super wide leg/puddling on the floor", and "falling off your ass on purpose". Lucky for you, Sam's Club only carries the standard fit.

It also helps that you have slender legs, a little butt, and no tummy to speak of.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Another factor is that most women's jeans are "stretch" jeans now (grumble grumble). They have a higher elasticity than men's jeans because someone somewhere made an executive decision that most women want to walk around in form-fitting jeans and for reasons beyond my comprehension, every jean manufacturer out there followed in their shadows. This inaccurate belief that women want exclusively form-fitting snug clothing is the same reason that women's pants never come with pockets anymore (grumble grumble).
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Another factor is that most women's jeans are "stretch" jeans now (grumble grumble). They have a higher elasticity than men's jeans because someone somewhere made an executive decision that most women want to walk around in form-fitting jeans and for reasons beyond my comprehension, every jean manufacturer out there followed in their shadows. This inaccurate belief that women want exclusively form-fitting snug clothing is the same reason that women's pants never come with pockets anymore (grumble grumble).
    It's not for reasons beyond my comprehension it's because we man-pigs want to see women in form-fitting jeans!! Who controls the fashion industry? Men!
    I'm surprised I need to remind you of this.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    That's not just because you're a guy. Granted, men's sizes may be more standardized with actual waist and length measurements, but there are still different cuts, like relaxed, baggy, "super wide leg/puddling on the floor", and "falling off your ass on purpose". Lucky for you, Sam's Club only carries the standard fit.

While it's true that we have different cuts, the issue isn't how they look so much as how comfortable they are. Standard fit isn't comfortable for me, but it fits just fine.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Do women's jeans tend to fit better than men's? They certainly seem to make a lot more cuts for women (just compare the amount of shelf/floor space devoted to women's vs men's clothing in stores if there's any doubt about that) and women consumers certainly seem to want/demand more choice in this area. The other component is I think that women, either through nature or nurture, tend to be more aesthetically attuned to fashion and care more about how jeans look/fit. A few years ago some fashionista coined the phrase 'muffin top' because there was a noted tendency on the part of some women 'of size' to wear low rise jeans that were fashionable a few years back. I don't think it ocurred/occurs that often but because we are so used to seing women as a rule dressing themselves with such relative care (hence trying on lots of pairs to find the Right One) it's jarring to see the exception to the rule. By contrast, we think nothing when we see some guy wearing his belt low and letting it all hang out - it's much more common. So manufacturers don't put as much effort into making and marketing different cut jeans for guys. Not nearly as many guys are willing to devote the attention or expense to it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This thread reminds me of ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Agreed-also petite doesn't always mean just shorten the legs and the jeans fit fine. A true petite cut takes into account rise and where the knee part of the jean fits, this also goes for women who need long cuts.

It's just more complicated to find jeans that fit well. Every women's body is different when you think about curves/hips...but isn't that what everyone likes
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    [snip] The other component is I think that women, either through nature or nurture, tend to be more aesthetically attuned to fashion and care more about how jeans look/fit. A few years ago some fashionista coined the phrase 'muffin top' because there was a noted tendency on the part of some women 'of size' to we]ar low rise jeans that were fashionable a few years back. I don't think it ocurred/occurs that often but because we are so used to seing women as a rule dressing themselves with such relative care (hence trying on lots of pairs to find the Right One) it's jarring to see the exception to the rule. By contrast, we think nothing when we see some guy wearing his belt low and letting it all hang out - it's much more common.[/unsnip]
    I was having this bad visual of a woman in low rise jeans combined with thong undies and a muffin top. Then I visualized a guy wearing a thong and showing plumber's butt in his low riders. I need to go throw up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It's not for reasons beyond my comprehension it's because we man-pigs want to see women in form-fitting jeans!! Who controls the fashion industry? Men!
    I recall a quote from actress Angie Dickinson who said "I dress for women. I undress for men."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    I do have to admit that some well fitted jeans on the right women is quite attractive. I'm not sure I can say any more without seeming like a giant pig.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I actually asked my wife about this once, and she said it is simply because there are far more choices in jeans for women than men. To use a motorcycle adage, "there's a seat for every ass." Her theory for the difference in variety is that women, stereotypically, are willing to put more effort/time into selecting something 'just right' for them in comparisson to men (see RJ's recent puchases from Sam's Club as an example). As a result, designers spend less time catering to men's varieties.

You are, however, starting to see this trend shift with the high-end denim for guys now. These days you have premium brands like True Religion, 7 for All Mankind, etc. that are offering more varieties. Also, much to my , you're starting to see styles that have historically been associated with women crossing over, thus creating more variety. Examples include skinny jeans, ultra low-rise, even jeggings.

My wife has a couple of pairs of jeans that I call "boxer droppers" because she looks absolutely smokin' in them.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    .... low rise jeans.....
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    .... a woman in low rise jeans combined with thong undies.....
    I like that look. Styling.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I like to watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC. Stacy and Clinton always tell women, no matter body type, to not get "Mommy" jeans (to the waist) and almost always recommend straight leg jeans in a dark wash. Once in awhile, they'll show another wash (gray, perhaps) or recommend skinny jeans. And they'll advise what rise would be most flattering. I guess I wear a mid-rise but I also sometimes buy a lighter blue wash, if I like the fit. I also like black jeans for winter, especially when travelling (I have a winter travel wardrobe built around blue and black jeans and black slacks; it simplifies packing).

What I am wondering is, who buys all those other color jeans? I see red, tan, yellow, brown, purple, camo, you name it.

The wildest I ever got was back in the mid-80's when I had a rather expensive pair of (at that time) tasteful flower-pattern jeans. Wish I had a photo of those to give y'all a good laugh.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Persoanlly I don't get the hubaloo about jeans. They are stiff, heavy, uncomfortable and they are pretty expensive. About the only time I wear jeans is when I go camping. Once they were the symbol of the young and the non-conformist. Now they are what everyone wears and part of the uniform of everyone from kid to grandma.

If you are wearing jeans, you are just part of the Establishment, man!

But I do like the way some women look in them.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wear jeans just about every day. I don't like to shop, and I don't like to try on clothes. When I find a style that fits, I'll stick with it to eliminate time in the fitting room. That being said, Levi's discontinued making the style that I wear. I couldn't find them in department stores, but I found some at Tractor Supply of all places, and I bought every pair that I could find in the three TS stores in the area.

I wish I could find brown jeans, ZG. I don't wear anything black, and brown jeans could look a little less casual than blue jeans.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I wish I could find brown jeans, ZG. I don't wear anything black, and brown jeans could look a little less casual than blue jeans.
    I saw them at either Kohl's or JC Penney.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ha, I thought this was a Neil DIamond thread...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Persoanlly I don't get the hubaloo about jeans. They are stiff, heavy, uncomfortable and they are pretty expensive. About the only time I wear jeans is when I go camping. Once they were the symbol of the young and the non-conformist. Now they are what everyone wears and part of the uniform of everyone from kid to grandma.

Women have dressy denim which is light weight and cut more like slacks, quite comfortable and flattering

Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I wear jeans just about every day. I don't like to shop, and I don't like to try on clothes. When I find a style that fits, I'll stick with it to eliminate time in the fitting room. That being said, Levi's discontinued making the style that I wear. I couldn't find them in department stores, but I found some at Tractor Supply of all places, and I bought every pair that I could find in the three TS stores in the area.

Don't you hate when you finally find something you love and they stop making it? You might be in luck on the brown jeans because this season colored denim is IN again!

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I actually asked my wife about this once, and she said it is simply because there are far more choices in jeans for women than men. To use a motorcycle adage, "there's a seat for every ass." Her theory for the difference in variety is that women, stereotypically, are willing to put more effort/time into selecting something 'just right' for them in comparisson to men (see RJ's recent puchases from Sam's Club as an example). As a result, designers spend less time catering to men's varieties.

You are, however, starting to see this trend shift with the high-end denim for guys now. These days you have premium brands like True Religion, 7 for All Mankind, etc. that are offering more varieties. Also, much to my , you're starting to see styles that have historically been associated with women crossing over, thus creating more variety. Examples include skinny jeans, ultra low-rise, even jeggings.

My wife has a couple of pairs of jeans that I call "boxer droppers" because she looks absolutely smokin' in them.
    Like this....

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I was having this bad visual of a woman in low rise jeans combined with thong undies and a muffin top. Then I visualized a guy wearing a thong and showing plumber's butt in his low riders. I need to go throw up.
    Daisy Duke in a pair of short cut-offs....

...ahhhh... that's better.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Persoanlly I don't get the hubaloo about jeans. They are stiff, heavy, uncomfortable and they are pretty expensive. About the only time I wear jeans is when I go camping.
    For those of us males with odd shaped bodies (wider hips but small behind) there are no set styles for us so they either fit good in the waist but are baggy in the legs or too tight in the waist but good in the legs. They need something in-between, cut like in a funnel-shape or something.

Jeans are good because they'll look okay with many variables. For example, I wear my jeans so there is quite a bit of bunching at the bottom but I can't get away with that in khakis. You ca look sloppier in jeans and have it be okay. To me dress pants/khakis seem to get worn/faded along the front pockets/zipper seam/wallet pocket and my jeans do not. It seems I can squeeze into jeans and make it look okay but I can never squeeze into dress pants because the shirts are always tucked in - thus showing the flaws.

This makes me want to go buy some new jeans.

edit - mom jeans are nothing more than poor pocket placement - resulting in a "long butt". If they lowered the back pockets an inch or two they wouldn't look like mom jeans.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Nov 2009

I am actually right there with you otterpop! I only owns two pairs of jeans and I wear them maybe once per month.
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Are sweatpants the new jeans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Dec 2012, 10:15 AM
  2. TS needs jeans help
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 16 Dec 2012, 9:06 PM