Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: E-mails from Paul Farmer

Registered
    Mar 2004

E-mails from Paul Farmer

Why is it that Paul can track my every move and harp on me because he has noticed I have yet to fill out a salary survey, but cannot give me a simple attaboy for getting all of my AICP certification credits completed?

Get to work Paul I am too busy to fill out my salary survey, maybe you need to shrink your organization too to see how the rest of us feel. Use the salary surveys from the last two years and deduct 10 percent.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    ditto...had a similar thought when I saw this morning's "reminder" in the mailbox...

Registered
    May 2005
    I completed the survey. It only took 5 minutes or so. I waste more time than that during the day staring out my office window.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I filled it out because I find that is really the only justification for salary that we have. Please lie and put that you make MUCH more than you do. I want the average to raise.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I filled it out because I find that is really the only justification for salary that we have. Please lie and put that you make MUCH more than you do. I want the average to raise.
    Paul will probably use that information to raise your dues!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2006
    I feel the same way. I wish all our salaries would rise so I could jump ship. I am so disillusioned by my current community planning position, I am headed to graduate school in the fall. But I still have months in this place unless I can find something else. I miss long range planning and writing, all I do here is push paper around my desk. I went from being a really Planner in Florida to a Planning Technician in the Northeast. I may have a Planning Director title behind my name but no real planning goes on here. Then I get a request to fill out a salary survey, which I ignore and then I get a second request. Enough already. I am hopeful that time will pass fast this spring and summer and I can get a change of pace and venue while attending graduate school.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I filled it out. Masters in planning, AICP, 35 yrs. experience, salary: $10,000. Sorry to skew the numbers for the rest of you.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I filled it out. Masters in planning, AICP, 35 yrs. experience, salary: $10,000. Sorry to skew the numbers for the rest of you.
    That looks like the requirements I've seen for an entry level planning position advertisement

(I'm kidding, kinda)
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I wondered why tey sent out this survey anyway. You have to put your salary category on your APA / AICP renewal form anyway so they can calculate your dues. Hence, they already have that information.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I wondered why tey sent out this survey anyway. You have to put your salary category on your APA / AICP renewal form anyway so they can calculate your dues. Hence, they already have that information.
    Exactly my thought.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I think they want to see if you're lying to save $10-$20.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post

Then, when they catch you, they'll send you up on AICP ethics charges, and revoke it. Then charge more money to get reinstated.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

My complaint is all the people who hit reply all

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I was close to adding in my comments that they should just do a public records request as the survey is only of members of apa. I don't know that the survey is really all that helpful for me or my situation. I find the salary informaton that the NC league of Municipalities puts out to be more helpful.

Registered
    May 2005
    I guess I really don't care about APA any more. I'm not AICP and I'll probably let my membership slip when it comes up for renewal. I will remain a member of my State chapter. Now that I'm fully entrenched in a director level position, I'm going to pursue creditionals in economic development and public management.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Remember that old El Guapo post about Paul Farmer and the brewhaha over the Kansas chapter? That was classic.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Remember that old El Guapo post about Paul Farmer and the brewhaha over the Kansas chapter? That was classic.
    And every KS planner should thank el Guapo for helping get the chapter running again.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Who would do such an unethical thing as under-report their salary? You people....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Adopt-A-Farmer of something similar - Examples?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Jun 2013, 1:09 PM
  2. E-mails and Open Meetings Act
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Aug 2005, 3:33 PM
  4. How many of such mails do you get??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4