Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Career/investment advice needed

Registered
    Feb 2004

Career/investment advice needed

I’m exploring alternate careers and money making opportunities, but am really torn right now between beginning an apprenticeship as a mimeograph machine repairman or opening a color film developing kiosk in the nearby Sears-Roebuck parking lot. I also like the idea of encyclopedia sales, but don't think I want to do all that trudging around door-to-door. I am concerned, however, that I may be overlooking other potentially lucrative career/investment opportunities (my brother was adamant that I should consider opening a video/pinball arcade) and to that end thought it wise to ask you for some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Three words - Inter Net Cafe. For people that want to send electronic mail.

Though, you could also apprentice as a tv repairman.
    Last edited by mendelman; 05 Nov 2010 at 11:32 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How are you at repairing Sony Walkmans? You can also always buy a house in Michigan too.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Three words - Inter Net Cafe. For people that want to send electronic mail.
    I'm sure you're on the right track, but all that futuristic kinda stuff makes my head swim! I guess I'm more of a traditional sort of guy. I mean I would enjoy providing services for folks like TexanOkie who like wearing hats and maybe opening a shop that blocks hats, or maybe a men's haberdashery store or something like that.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hear this video rental business is going to be huge, though your probably going to have to replace all your inventory with laser discs in a few years, so be careful.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If I were you I would consider getting some experience in selling tobacco. It seems like that might get addictive.

Also, consider vacation / second home selling in Vegas.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I hear this video rental business is going to be huge, though your probably going to have to replace all your inventory with laser discs in a few years, so be careful.
    Great idea! I did a little preliminary pricing around and it seems you can buy VHS tapes for dirt cheap! With some mark up I could rent tapes at $3 a pop and make a mint!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I mean I would enjoy providing services for folks like TexanOkie who like wearing hats and maybe opening a shop that blocks hats, or maybe a men's haberdashery store or something like that.
    Ok your funeral - but I think jsk's on to sometime - I bet you would printing your own money by renting VHS.

Nevermind - looks like you caught on already.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Don't be a fool! Science has all the answers, I recommend that you become a phrenologist.

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I disagree. Have you seen this new Betamax format? Its amazing. And the tapes are SO much smaller than VHS.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Consider being a City Planner. Local governments are hot to invest in people to review all their development applications and create forward looking municipal plans. Chicks will dig you just like Mark Brandanowitz.

Edit - It's sad that these days you can sarcastically write stuff like this about 90% of professions, the exceptions being CEO's, repo men and reality TV stars.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sell acai berry juice as a healthy drink with lots of benefits (except "those" type of benefits)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Sell acai berry juice as a healthy drink with lots of benefits (except "those" type of benefits)
    Never can tell. I saw an interesting article yesterday about a couple fo guys in northern Wisconsin who are making organic pumpkinseed extract, and creating an opportunity for local farmers to grow pumpkins in the process.

I have just one word for you. Ethanol.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's too bad I don't have more capital or I'd do something more ambitious like open a new department store downtown or maybe start a daily newspaper in my community to go head to head with the publishing giants.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Just one word...are you listening? PLASTICS!
    Last edited by Tom R; 05 Nov 2010 at 4:36 PM. Reason: punctuation

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Open up a Pontiac Franchise!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Open up a Pontiac Franchise!
    Better than that - Saturn & Saab dealership.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    You know maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get over this fear of all things high tech and go into the computer field. I could become a programmer but should probably take some pains to first learn one of those computer programming languages like PASCAL or COBOL.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Have you considered unlocking the potential in yourself and build your own financial empire? If so, then I have one word for you AMWAY!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Say there, sonny boy! Don't listen to all they hooey out there! Here's a keen career opportunity that's bound to be the cat's meow! The sky's the limit!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2005
    This thread brings to mind a venture a kid I knew in High School just opened in NC here. He and a friend opened a Video Game lounge (and internet cafe). I hope he succeeds but I can't help but think this idea is 5-6 years too late.

Now if he opened an old school arcade (pac man, pole position, etc.), I think that would actually do well in the right hipster/80's child neighborhood.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    This thread brings to mind a venture a kid I knew in High School just opened in NC here. He and a friend opened a Video Game lounge (and internet cafe). I hope he succeeds but I can't help but think this idea is 5-6 years too late.

Now if he opened an old school arcade (pac man, pole position, etc.), I think that would actually do well in the right hipster/80's child neighborhood.
    There's one like this on the Asbury Park boardwalk and it's always busy when I've walked by it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Are you kidding me? With games like World of Warcraft, Doom and other role playing games, these cafes have an instant and hooked audience almost every night. Maybe not much initial profit, but with little overhead (i.e. employees) and simple upkeep of machines every year and half to 2 years, High Speed internet through the cable company and basic electrical bill and your set. Plus, your nerd meter is off the charts at these places )

Sir, I have this investment idea. So there is this thing called the internet, and i hear it is on computers now. So how about we start up a company that provides this thing called the internet through... wait for it.. wait for it...

through your phone! People will dial in through their home phones to this internet!. We can charge 29.95 per customer and have them dial in and it can be really slow, but hey, they can get "online"

It will change the game baby...
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Step up in the world sell remote controls for those new color tv's.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Listen, I've been giving this more thought and I think maybe I should aim for landing some office clerical type work. I was just checking out a bunch of folks' resumes and it looked like not a single one listed 'word processing' as one of their marketable skills. I'm thinking I should break out that WordStar program on my shelf, brush up a bit and bill myself as an expert with various word processing programs...WordPerfect....WordStar...OmniWord....Text Wizard.....maybe there's some other marketable clerical skills I should acquire?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Career Development - Advice needed!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 8:36 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Feb 2007, 7:43 PM
  4. Stressful Pigeon (career advice needed)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 4:23 PM
  5. Investment Advice
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Sep 2004, 9:15 AM