Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The agency, RPC, local government was so poor/underfunded/broke that I worked for that....

Registered
    Jul 2002

The agency, RPC, local government was so poor/underfunded/broke that I worked for that....

The boss asked us not to deposit our paychecks until Saturday.
    Our office was in a combat zone in an old house that had been a youth detention facility.
    Our secretaries refused to drive the agency car because it was unreliable and unsafe.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 2005
    I interned for a short time at a CDC in the city of Detroit. The Executive Director and I were driving back to the office in a big van after dropping off some toys for Toys for Tots.

We blew a tie rod, cut across oncoming traffic, managed to not get hit, and ending up on the sidewalk. I didn't go in that van again!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    The boss asked us not to deposit our paychecks until Saturday.
    LOL

Registered
    Jan 2005
    At the last job I had the dept. vehicle could've been worthy of mention in Adam Sandler's "Piece of shit car" song. It was a mid 80s ford taurus and you could tell it was never maintained. I strongly doubt the freakin thing ever had an oil change the way it slogged through the gears, brakes were totally shot too. The assholes I worked for wouldn't reimburse me for mileage, so I'd tool around town in that shitbox investigating zoning scofflaws at the risk of my own personal safety.

Registered
    May 2004
    We had to buy our own writing utensils.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We made an office wall by bolting plywood to the back of metal shelves. On those shelves? That was the food pantry.

Vans. The headlights were so pitted they gave off almost no light. On one trip the serpentine belt snapped and I had to badger them to pay for the $800 repair (instead of me expensing it and getting paid a month later). My AAA membership paid for the tow. A short time later the alternator went out when Chet was driving it back from a night meeting with a client about 100 miles away. The van died as he pulled into the lot. Not long after than I was driving back from the same client and found I had no brakes as I turned onto the exit ramp at 65 MPH. I nursed it back using the transmission to slow me down. Fortunately it was after midnight and there was little traffic.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I was looking for a job at a MPO in Ohio that was located in a minimally converted parking garage complete with sloping, concrete floors. Strange place.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The Planning Department had an old POS Ford LTD. Ripped up seats, funky smell, and that ol' bitch would leave you stranded in a minute too, naturally whenever you were in the boondocks. You always had to travel with a cell phone.

At the last non-profit I worked at we received a number of emails from HR stating that "You might not get paid on Friday, but we'll let you know on Thursday and by the way direct deposit is temporarily suspended." Umm yeah thanks. Once checks were distributed there was a stampede out the door to go cash them at the bank they were drawn on. Nobody wanted to be the slow poke that got the rubber check.

The state agency I worked at would only issue you 3 cheapie ball point pens per month. Towards the end of the year they would be out of nearly any kind of supply you would need so you had to bring your own.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Local Government Consolidation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Feb 2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Understanding local government
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Sep 2008, 12:19 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 11:47 PM