Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Get a US urban planning degree and return home

Registered
    Feb 2012

Get a US urban planning degree and return home

Hello everybody,

By advance thanks to those who will help me with my issue.

I am about to get a Swiss bachelor in geography, and plan to pursue my education with a master in urban planning.

I am from Switzerland, and I am actually doing an exchange program in a North American University for one year. I enjoyed my time so much here that Im thinking of staying 2 more years to do a master here, and then I would return work back home or maybe work here in the US for one year if possible.

My questions are the following:
    Do you think this project of getting a US master and then going back to work is doable? Are you aware of anyone with such a professional path? Are US urban planning degree generally recognize in Europe?

Thank you for your help

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Matthieu View post
    I am from Switzerland, and I am actually doing an exchange program in a North American University for one year. I enjoyed my time so much here that Im thinking of staying 2 more years to do a master here, and then I would return work back home or maybe work here in the US for one year if possible.

My questions are the following:
    Do you think this project of getting a US master and then going back to work is doable? Are you aware of anyone with such a professional path? Are US urban planning degree generally recognize in Europe?
    I lived in Bavaria and fell in love with Switzerland, so I do not blame you at all for going back home. Lac Leman...sigh...

I'm not the expert, but being able to argue that you have seen many different systems, and this gives you a broad viewpoint on what works would be a good way to get attention and capture the interest of a prospective employer.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Well I live around the lac Leman in fact ^^. It's nice you liked the region. Did you study abroad in germany?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Matthieu View post
    Well I live around the lac Leman in fact ^^. It's nice you liked the region. Did you study abroad in germany?
    I worked as a weather observer at a couple of airfields there. Good luck!
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    I am German and plan to attend an American university this fall (if they just accept me...). My thoughts: If you want to be a public planner it is pretty much a disadvantage unless you have significant experiences in Switzerland.

If you want to be employed by a big consulancy or some international firm, it can be an advantage.

The crucial part in my opinion is to prove knowledge in the planning system of your home country.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Geograph View post
    I am German and plan to attend an American university this fall (if they just accept me...). My thoughts: If you want to be a public planner it is pretty much a disadvantage unless you have significant experiences in Switzerland.

If you want to be employed by a big consulancy or some international firm, it can be an advantage.

The crucial part in my opinion is to prove knowledge in the planning system of your home country.
    Hey Geograph. I have been accepted to FSU and University of Arizona. I saw that you have been accepted too. Did you get any scholarship or something??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Yes, got one from my home country.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning + IT degree??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 May 2011, 11:19 AM