Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question about need for new specialized Disaster Recovery training

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Question about need for new specialized Disaster Recovery training

Within FEMA's National Disaster Recovery Framework there is this Support Function:

Community Planning and Capacity Building
    Should there be training/conference sessions developed for this ?
    http://www.fema.gov/recoveryframework/annexes.shtm

I have sent this to APA.
    Last edited by JNA; 06 May 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Part of APA response:

The short answer is that it is too soon yet to say exactly what FEMA will do with this support function, as a good deal of the NDRF guidance is still being developed, to my knowledge. However, I see no reason not to do such training, and no reason other than funding (for certain kinds of training) why we could not do this through APA. I hope we can have those discussions with FEMA and DHS as they proceed. But certainly, it would be timely to have at least a conference session in Chicago next year on this topic.

In the meantime, you may be aware—or wish to be made aware—that APA is currently engaged with FEMA on a research project addressing long-term community recovery planning, called Planning for Post-Disaster Recovery: Next Generation, an effort to rewrite the 1998 guidance in PAS Report No. 483/484. I encourage you to visit the website to learn more about that project
    My suggestion would be to invite planners from such places as Joplin, Tuscaloosa, New Orleans, Grand Forks, ND.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Private sector recovery after a disaster
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Sep 2011, 7:29 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 1:03 PM