Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is your major field of planning?

Registered
    Apr 2012

What is your major field of planning?

Hello
    What is major field of your urban planners?
    Geography. Economics. Engineering or other fields?
    thank you very much !!

Planning is one of those careers that attract a diverse background of undergrad majors. I know Geography is a common one as well as others in the social sciences. Environmental sciences probably also ranks up there. Architecture and Engineering are less common, but there were a number of them in my graduating class. I'm part of a small minority that majored in business.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm a geography major myself but I've known some people with some pretty unique undergrad majors. The one that always stood out to me was someone who majored in religious studies.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    Planning is one of those careers that attract a diverse background of undergrad majors. I know Geography is a common one as well as others in the social sciences. Environmental sciences probably also ranks up there. Architecture and Engineering are less common, but there were a number of them in my graduating class. I'm part of a small minority that majored in business.
    thanks dear OfficialPlanner ,okey ,,, I'm geographer too ,

Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I'm a geography major myself but I've known some people with some pretty unique undergrad majors. The one that always stood out to me was someone who majored in religious studies.
    thank's for help me

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Junior College: Architecture

Undergrad co-major in Geography and Urban Studies, (years before the classic Sienfeld episode!)

Grad School Geography specialization in land use.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2012
    BA: Political Science, MA: Education, Masters of City Planning.

Registered
    Apr 2012

okey

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Junior College: Architecture

Undergrad co-major in Geography and Urban Studies, (years before the classic Sienfeld episode!)

Grad School Geography specialization in land use.
    thank 's for the help

Registered
    Jul 2002

Guide 'em

My main field in town planning is assisting the local mums and dad/developers/builders/shed suppliers/town planning consultants (even without a qualification!) of the legislative requirements to be indicated on the development plans and documentation so that it all stands strong and tall in any inquiry. Therefore specialty is - Statutory Planner with Customer Service. An educative, cooperative, empathising but focused, direct and resource sharing approach gets them everytime.

Registered
    Apr 2012

can I such conclude?

can I such conclude that urban planing in developmented country like you is in sub field of geography or not ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Some may consider urban planning to be a subset of geography but in general, planning it is considered to be a separate discipline. It incorporates things from several different fields (geography, political science, architecture) thus making it its own unique interdisciplinary field.

Admittedly geography is a very broad field so planning can definitely fall under it. Geography just happens to be a rather fragmented so if you decided to focus on any one thing in particular, you'd probably be better served in another field. It's part of the reason "geographer" positions are so rare.

Personally I view planning as just being a practical application of geography. Though I'm sure many would disagree with that statement.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting into the planning field
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2009, 9:47 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 May 2008, 12:32 PM
  3. How can I start my planning field
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Sep 2007, 5:12 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Jul 2006, 5:16 PM
  5. Is there hope for me in the planning field?
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 May 2005, 11:50 PM