Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A Day in Calgary - what highlights to see

Registered
    Aug 2004

A Day in Calgary - what highlights to see

As part of our vacation this summer, we're spending a day & night in Calgary. I've done some Tripadvisor searching, but I wanted to get some first-hand info from you all as well.

Have you been to Calgary? Do you live there? What do you think are the best highlights for a tourist to see, if you only have one day? Eliminate hockey-related things, because neither of us are hockey fans.

If anyone has a recommendation for a downtown restaurant for dinner, I'll take that too!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Its been 22 years since I've been there. There is a large downtown mall, I don't know if it is still called Eaton Center or not as Eaton's is long gone. What makes this mall remarkable is its tie in to public transport and a large wintergarden on the top floor.

Calgary was just a stop on the way from Waterton/Glacier to Banff/Jasper. I certainly hope you are in the area to take in the national parks of that region of North America. Coming from the south I vividly recall that the City rose from the prarie all at once. It was almost like fields on one side of the street and dense city on the other. Between Calgary and Banff there have been some interesting animal crossing treatments along the main highway.

Needless to say I can't recommend anywhere to eat! I hope you have a great time, it is beautiful out there.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Needless to say I can't recommend anywhere to eat!
    No need to make this any more difficult than it needs to be. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the best.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Near the dawn of time I lived nearby, but now only visit friends occasionally (those who haven't sold out and moved to cheaper abodes) and I can't recognize the place. The trails along the Bow River are very nice for a relaxing walk or sit. Geese with goslings are super cute. Last time we were there we ate appetizers at the River Cafe, it was good.

-2C and light snow at the moment, brrrrr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. ArcNews Title Highlights Game
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jan 2011, 5:58 PM
  2. Imagine Calgary
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 11:37 AM
  3. Hi from Calgary, AB
    Introduce Yourself