Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Creating a typocartographic map

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Creating a typocartographic map

Has any one created such a stylized map of their neighborhood map ?

Examples from a commericial website: http://www.orkposters.com/

Is there software that could help you create your own ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Just wondering, what would you use this for?

I can see it being an interesting graphic design exercise, but for actual planning? It seems busy.

It could work to help get folks talking about thier individual 'hoods though.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Just wondering, what would you use this for?
    As you say, surely not for planning, but they are interesting graphically and you could create a mood with one. It looks cheaper to purchase than create your own, unless you wanted to do it over an aerial with some transparency in it...

(go 'Wings)
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    As you say, surely not for planning, but they are interesting graphically and you could create a mood with one. It looks cheaper to purchase than create your own, unless you wanted to do it over an aerial with some transparency in it...

(go 'Wings)
    A guy here at work has one on his wall showing the neighborhoods. I like it, but was wondering the why behind the initial question.

I would think that if you had the right graphics softwae it would not be hard to punch one of these out, but most of us don't have that.

21 wins at home, who would have thought that??? Now we need to get the Pistons in line again. They are almost as embarassing as the Lions were!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We have two of these hanging in our house at home - a large black and white version of the Seattle one that is similar to the one in the link that we purchased at an art store when we were out there a few months ago, and a black and white map of Michigan and all of its counties.

I have to agree with Detroit Planner that these seem to serve no actual planning or geographic purpose since the size of the type in the individual geographic divisions doesn't seem to really correspond to anything.

During a few free moments at work, I tried to create one of the county I work in divided up by all the cities, villages, and townships, but because the county is nearly perfectly rectangular as are many of the communities, it was turning out very boring so I never finished it. I made mine by starting with a map of the community boundaries that I created in ArcMAP and then exported to Adobe InDesign and just started plugging in the letters for names and manipulating the placement and size of each letter individually. Like I said, it wasn't turning out all that well so I never got around to finishing it. I'm sure there are better and more efficient programs to use besides InDesign, but graphic artistry is not my strong suit.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 26 Feb 2013, 2:20 PM
  2. Creating a new mechanism to finance development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Dec 2010, 11:16 AM
  3. Creating a transit authority
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jan 2008, 12:54 PM