Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Introducing an Interpretive Planner - ME!

Registered
    Feb 2012

Introducing an Interpretive Planner - ME!

Interpretive planning has been around many decades but primarily in the natural and cultural resource fields. My wife and I train interpretive planners all over the world. She wrote, Interpretive Planning: The 5-M Model for Successful Planning Projects in 2003 after 25 years as a consultant planner for National Park Service, USDA Forest Service, many other agencies, nature centers, zoos, aquariums, parks, etc. We both serve as executive staff of National Association for Interpretation and have five books on heritage interpretation in print, the most recent being Put the HEART Back in Your Community. We are interested in how communities share their authentic stories, preserve local values, measure success in outcomes and collaborate through civic engagement. Our recent book has nineteen case studies of communities of all sizes that do these things to some degree. We blog weekly about what we see in our travels that seems thoughtful, collaborative and working.

We are well acquainted with the interpretive planning community and relatively new to the broader planning community. We welcome your thoughts, questions, and comments.

Tim Merriman and Lisa Brochu

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Welcome to Cyburbia. We do not allow new posters to post links until they have been around a while, so that we aren't inundated with spam. As a forum, we also prefer to host the conversation here for the benefit of our members. As you participate in the community, then you might post a link to your blog. (We'd appreciate a link from your blog as well. (Link edited, thread authorized.) Thanks, welcome again, and carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 15 Feb 2012 at 2:40 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Welcome!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Nov 2013, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last post: 12 Jun 2013, 5:04 PM
  3. Introducing Myself
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Nov 2011, 8:50 AM
  4. Introducing myself
    Introduce Yourself