Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sneak(er) Attack!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Sneak(er) Attack!

Let's talk "sneakers"......or perhaps we call them "tennis shoes". Whatever we call them, let's discuss.....

Back when I was a young'n (1950s) we called them "Keds", which was (if I remember correctly) a brand name. I can still hear my Mother saying, "Dont you be wearing your Keds to church!"

Bear Sneaker Timeline
    1950s - Never wore sneakers to school or church or even those CBD shopping trips (via Toledo's olde Community Traction Company).
    1960s - Started playing basketball on a regular basis. First shoe of choice: Canvas hi-tops (for good ankle support).
    1970s - Wedding at NW Ohio's superb Oak Openings Preserve, to Wife Version 2.0 (Donna). I wore green canvas Chuck Taylor hi-tops.
    NOTE: Oak Openings is considered by the Nature Conservacy one of the "best natural areas in the USA".
    1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s - Changed basketball shoe to Reebok hi-tops. Better ankle support.
    1980s to present - Wearing sneakers almost all of the time. So damn comfortable.

When I was running on a regular basis (1980s, about 30-40 miles a week), my running shoe of choice was a brand that "I just hadda to have" and today I cannot remember the brand name.

Chances are that most of you put sneakers or tennis shoes or "Keds" on your feet. So.....what say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    No nikes on these feet.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    They were "tennis shoes" when I was growing up, in part because Mom only allowed us to wear them during actual tennis lessons. They were navy lace-up keds. We had to wear loafers or dressy shoes the rest of the time.

Nowadays, I wear "cross-trainers" most days, although when we travel I take other comfy shoes for full days of walking. You know, shoes that don't make me look like a clueless middle-aged woman. In San Francisco, that might be boots or black flats. In Georgia or Orlando, maybe little white keds.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    On the WTF.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    On the WTF.

Nice floor.

Keds were the only thing around. Converse were available, but only through school athletic programs. Bear, some merely called them gym shoes or gymmers...at least south of you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wore "tennis shoes" from K-6. They had rubber soles, canvas tops and if you were the cat's meow you got 'blue tips'. I recall wearing several pairs of Keds.
    Junior high - about this time "running shoes" first came into vogue and the cool brand to wear was Adidas. Not only did they have a spongy sole but usually had cool stripes on the side.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Excuse those goofy looking socks.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't wear traditional sneakers very much, but I love my Clarks Privo Tequini shoes. Super comfy and I've had my current pair nearly five years and they've traveled around the world with me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27308936645.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	4889
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998

Nice floor.

Registered
    Sep 1999

Great legs, RJ!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wore tennis shoes or cross training shoes all through elementary and high school. Once I got out of high school, I stopped playing tennis though and began running quite frequently and I don't find the majority of running shoes to be particularly attractive so I generally only wear them while I am actually running (or to and from the gym). Other than that, I usually wear a pair of boat shoes or moccasins if the weather is nice or a good pair of heavy wingtips or leather boots the rest of the time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 21 May 2013, 4:40 PM
  2. Bot attack
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Jun 2006, 9:54 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jul 2005, 10:12 PM
  4. This is NOT a Walmart attack....
    Friday Afternoon Club