Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vision triangles

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Vision triangles

I'm trying to understand the underlying rationale for requiring Vision Triangles at controlled intersections. City code looks for 110 feet of sight line even though the car/bicycle needs to come to a "complete" stop. Should the sight line be based where the car's driver is located at the full stop? If it were a yield sign or such, I could see the increased length but the existing code seems excessive especially in lieu of a controlled intersection, ie. stop sign. TIA

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jkbrown View post
    I'm trying to understand the underlying rationale for requiring Vision Triangles at controlled intersections.
    To have unobstructed view of the roadway.

Quote Originally posted by jkbrown View post
    Should the sight line be based where the car's driver is located at the full stop?
    The jurisdiction usually decides on the sight triangle location, depending upon several factors from AASHTO/DOT guidance. Normally it is from a point presumed to be from full stop.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Even though it is a controlled intersection, the requirement for a vision triangle takes into account the way people drive. How many times do you see someone think that a yellow light means they need to speed up, even so that they are entering the intersection when it is already red? How many times do you see somebody think that a right on red does not require them to come to a stop? Most drivers are adiots. Improved sightlines are there to mitigate the effect of their stupidity.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the responses. I found what I needed was the departure sight triangle from a controlled intersection. Its slightly different and makes use of the "time gap" to determine the nominal distance for departure sight.

Cardinal, interesting thought on the yellow light drivers. I'm waiting for the longer period of time between the actual red and the other directions being given the green light. Kinda of clearing the space.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Improved sightlines are there to mitigate the effect of their stupidity.
    But one has to ask: do sightlines enable their stupidity? Sightlines make you feel safe, and feeling safe makes you take bigger risks. I know I'm certainly a lot more cautious at the downtown intersections where historic building placement has made the sightlines bad. But then I'm being anecdotal. I'm sure someone has done the numbers (I hope!) to show that these huge vision triangles reduce collisions.

Registered
    May 2005
    WRT sight triangles, I'll just say that in addition to irresponsible or bad drivers, traffic planning also has to consider the whole range of folks in/on vehicles out there (including the elderly, very short people, people driving Smart Cars, cyclists, pedestrians, you name it). Having narrowly escaped certain death by an old lady in an historic area who did not see me coming because she was so short she couldn't see over the fire hydrant on the corner (which is also next to an old building right up at the street), I am sensitive to the questionable driving habits of the old and short. Granted it was not a controlled interesection, but still - that blue hair almost killed me!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vision triangles
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 11:20 AM
  2. What is your vision / eyesight?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 20 Jan 2008, 8:53 PM
  3. A Vision for a City