Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lefties Untie!

Registered
    Aug 2007

Lefties Untie!

How many Cyburbians are left handed? I remember in planning school that at least 30 or 40% of my classmates were lefties. The other week we were doing some team building exercise in a department meeting building some tower thing. One of the challenges was that you could only use your left hand to build the tower, I was surprised that I was the only leftie in the department. The other day I was cutting text to post on public hearing signs and I had to use crappy right-handed scissors. I finally realized why lefties have trouble using right-handed scissors, the blade blocks the cutting line making it difficult to cut in a straight line. All this time I thought I just had this inability to cut in a straight line. The good thing is that my admin assistant is going to buy me a pair of left-handed scissors.

When I was in elementary school, my parents were called in for a conference because I couldn't follow directions. When my mom asked what the problem was, the teacher responded that I wrote on the "wrong" side of the paper. My mother's response was "well is he getting the work right, then don't complain." Any other lefties here have issues living in a right-handed world?

I'm primarily a lefty, but am also ambidextrous to a point. I shoot a gun or bowl with either hand, but throw for power with my right hand. As for issues-the old right-handed desk in school comes to mind.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    me me me me! although i use scissors with my right hand
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Untie? What is in need of being untied?

I am a leftie. I can throw with both hands, but draw/write with my left. I have learned to use my right hand for a lot of things based on necessity.

I prefer to throw a frisbee with my right hand.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I write and eat using my left hand. I cut with my right hand. I use both hands for racket sports.

I'm the person who tries to get to the table first so I can sit at the end that leaves my left arm free. It's hard eating beside a right-handed person.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Count me among the southpaws. My office is littered with them. Before the re-org, my group of about 20 was made up of planners and engineers. Nearly all the planners were lefties while the engineers were all right handed.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I do most things left-handed (write, eat, shoot a gun, play tennis, part my hair, brush my teeth...) but bowl and throw balls right-handed. For some reason, when I try to throw a baseball or football with my right hand, it looks and feels as if I have never thrown a ball before in my life.

I also wear my watch on my right hand and this actually creates problems with a couple of the chronographs that I own since it's difficult to access the crown or buttons as intended. My next watch is going to be one that is made specifically for lefties!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Untie? What is in need of being untied?
    Doh! I was looking at the thread title last night thinking something was wrong but unable to put my finger on it.

WYP, ugh I remember having to contort my body to use those damn right handed desks in the lecture halls at college. There were like 2 left handed ones in the entire hall and it always pixxed me off when right-handers sat in them.

Here is a strange test for handedness, without thinking draw a quick circle. Lefties tend to draw the circle in a certain way. (Highlight for answer) Lefties tend to draw the circle in a counter-clockwise motionI tend to wear my watch on the right as well. It started when I was little and had trouble manipulating the strap on a watch with my right hand. Now I wear the watch on my right hand becasue it doesn't get dinged and bumped while writing.

Just as in everything else, I am afraid of commitment. Count me as ambidextrous. Though I used to be left handed. A nasty skateboard accident ended that when I was a kid.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Another lefty here. I was really ambidextrous with sports as a kid but since I'm older I do almost everything (except wear a watch and throw a frisbee) with my left hand.

One of these days I'm gonna leave the wild world of planning and open up that Leftorium!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Mostly righty, but as a carpenter I can drive nails with the left, and am very good with a circular power saw in the left hand. I can choose hands depending on approach to the work, direction of wind, and the fact that the left extension will carry all the way across a sheet of plywood. Very handy when cutting off a roof deck going downhill in a squat with the power cord held as safety rope.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Lefty here too. I still smudge almost everything I write. I had an HR friend who bought me a left handed pen once, which is supposed to help you "drag" the pen than push it, but it never felt right (I mean correct).

Sitting in a restaurant booth with a lot of people takes some planning.

I bat and golf lefty but throw righty. Shoot pool left, bowl left but shoot right. Go figure.

A higher percentage of my colleagues are lefties than the general population.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    <-- Lefty
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Lefty here too. I still smudge almost everything I write. I had an HR friend who bought me a left handed pen once, which is supposed to help you "drag" the pen than push it, but it never felt right (I mean correct).
    Turn the paper to the angle as your forearm...no more smudges.
    I am mostly leftie. Use right when strength is needed. Painting is left for detail work, right for brushes larger than 2". Right-eyed (make a hole with your hands and look through it). I constantly hold my knife while eating, seems so cumbersome for righties to go through the hassel of putting it down after each cut. Shooting pool is simpler when you can use both hands. I can write backwards quite well. I often do not know my left from right: when I hold out my hands to see which thumb and forefinger looks like an "L"...they both do.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am lefty in that I write and throw with my left hand. I bat/golf, cut right handed and shoot, throw a frisby and eat with either hand. I took sign language in college and can sign with either hand as well.

My younger brother is a lefty and both of our wives are left handed.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2002
    I throw overhand with my left and I have no idea why. I bat right, write right, bowl with my right, even throw a frisbee with my right. Glad to see I'm not the only "mixed up" one here.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    May 2005
    I didn't realize that so many people switched back and forth between handedness.

My wife and I are both righties and so are our girls

My sis and ex-BIL are both lefties. One of my nephews is a lefty. Not sure about my youngest nephew or my niece, but they're still fairly young.

Now that I think about it, my dad and brother are both primarily right-handed, but do some sport activies left handed.
    Last edited by btrage; 14 Feb 2012 at 1:50 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

A telling sign of handedness is how you think. Lefties tend to be visual, creative, global and nonlinear in their thinking. I've had to train myself to think in A to B to C to D, which to me is a very straight jacketed way to think.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Righty all the way, although I did teach myself as a kid how to kick a soccer ball very effectively with my left foot. I actually can't think of any lefties in my extended family.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Left handed as well. I've written alot of smudged papers during my youth because of it
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Another leftie here. My grandmother and one of her sisters were both lefties, the only others in my family, as far as I know. Although I don't play any sports, I seem to remember kicking with my right foot in kickball and tossing a ball with my right hand when I was back in school.

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    A telling sign of handedness is how you think. Lefties tend to be visual, creative, global and nonlinear in their thinking.
    I've heard that, but I don't think I fit that description at all.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    A telling sign of handedness is how you think. Lefties tend to be visual, creative, global and nonlinear in their thinking. I've had to train myself to think in A to B to C to D, which to me is a very straight jacketed way to think.
    I'm a rightie but I guess I somehow ended up with an overdeveloped right brain in spite of this
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread