Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What schools can you pay in state tuition prices if you are applying from out of state?

Registered
    Jun 2011

What schools can you pay in state tuition prices if you are applying from out of state?

Yea,. So.... I dont wanna limit my choices just to florida, which I am a resident, but I also dont wanna pay double the tuition because I cannot be classified a resident for tuition purposes.

Are there any schools (lets keep it to the southeast) That let you pay in state tuition, even if you apply from out of state? (Technically you would be living in the state for which you intend to move to, for the duration of)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Most schools require residency for a certain period of time (1 year, I think? But it varies.) before you're eligible for in-state tuition. If you're just applying to public schools, your better bet is to look for other types of aid, like fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, sunken ships (jk), etc. Most grad programs dole out some kind of aid, so inquire with each program. As I understand it, UNC and USC offer pretty hefty amounts of merit-based aid.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Yea, I want to make sure that im not shooting myself in the foot though...

And i dont exactly want to spend a year in another state to get residency...

So anyone in the know, please comment.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Since you're in the Southeast (as I am), you might want to check into the Academic Common Market. If you can find a program outside of Florida that's a little different (offering a different concentration perhaps) than what's available in Florida, then you might be in luck. I don't have the website handy, but if you Google 'Academic Common Market,' you can get more details.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The idea of in-state tuition is to give those who live in the state a discount so schools work to not make it easy for you to just be a resident. Otherwise it becomes pretty pointless.

My experience in the midwest is that you have to be a resident of the state without being registered as a student.

I would suggest you look at getting grants, FinAid, or other opportunities if you aren't in-state for a specific school. If it is the right school, maybe consider becoming a resident for a year, then going....

Good Luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't know about the southeast but a common financial aid/grant offer where I went to school (Minnesota) was to offer in-state tuition rates.

Registered
    May 2005
    This page has pretty good information on this topic. It also mentions the Common Market reimaginethis referenced.

Out-of-State Tuition Waiver
    If you are in a certain geographic area and are looking for academic programs that are not available at your state institutions, you may be eligible to participate in a tuition-exchange program. Partaking in this program means that you will be charged in-state tuition (even though you are not a state resident) or will be offered a reduced tuition rate. Regional tuition waiver programs include the Academic Common Market (Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia), the New England Regional Student Program (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont), the programs of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming), and the Midwest Student Exchange Program (Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Wisconsin).

Some schools may also offer out-of-state tuition waivers to the following and their dependents:
    •Active-duty military personnel stationed in the state
    •University faculty or staff
    •School teachers in the state
    •Newly settled retirees
    •High school graduates who left the state for a period of time
    •Etc.
    If you visit the site, there are links to the different networks cited above.

Good luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Assistantships at Clemson will allow you to pay a tuition rate that's less than in-state. Roughly half the students receive an assistantship there.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Late to the game but may benefit someone in the future - I completed my MPA through Indiana State in 2015. In-state tuition was given for out-of-state students using the online program.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'll add another post to this long-dead thread...

I know if you are a Michigan resident, there are a lot of schools in neighboring Ohio and Indiana that offer in-state tuition.

If a student is looking at going out of state, they may want to consider checking into that at schools in their neighboring states.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 Jun 2010, 6:40 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 11:34 PM
  3. Applying for a state job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Aug 2009, 2:56 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 28 Mar 2008, 9:27 AM