Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: San Fransisco Museum of Modern Art rendering

Registered
    Jul 2011

San Fransisco Museum of Modern Art rendering

OK, we're having a debate in my office (non-work related) about the proposed architectural design for the San Fransisco Museum of Modern Art expansion. I think it looks like a "20-tall" (i.e., a 20-story tall mobile home, similar to a "double-wide"). My co-worker disagrees. Thoughts?

More info and renderings here:

http://www.sfmoma.org/our_expansion/...pansion_design
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    OK, we're having a debate in my office (non-work related) about the proposed architectural design for the San Fransisco Museum of Modern Art expansion. I think it looks like a "20-tall" (i.e., a 20-story tall mobile home, similar to a "double-wide"). My co-worker disagrees. Thoughts?

I like it. Reminds me of the New Museum (modern art) in NYC: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?rl...=0CAsQnwIoATAA

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think it kind of looks like a building that fell over onto its side. If they put some broken pipes, dangling wires, and some clinging dirt and rocks on that left side in the photo it would be a cool rendition of a fallen building.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Obviously a single rendering makes judgement difficult but I'll give it a shot.
    Judging it for what it INTENDS to be, a building in the current fashion for a museum structure following -- rather loosely -- deconstructivist architectural style signifiers, I think it is mediocre but inoffensive. It does not do anything too damaging to the street wall, for instance. I would think that 99% of architectural firms turning out a design for a MOMA would come up with something indistinguishable from this. If, for reasons that escape me, one values buildings for possessing the quality of "being of their time", this certainly looks it, with the textured exterior, reduced fenestration and disjointed, arbitrary angle/corner details.
    Museum buildings present programmatic issues that, especially in a narrow lot, are not easily addressed, too.
    Relative to my PERSONAL sense of aesthetics I think it is a horrible building, bearing none of the useful features of a public building and all of the fatuous ones, designed by talentless streetscape criminals and that will be considered highly embarrassing within 15 years.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

I hate it. Seriously, it sucks. Just doesn't fit in the neighborhood. It was bad enough that they laid a giant turd in the Metron, but this thing? It will never pass archotectural review board. Maybe something modern with clean lines, etc to take more advantage of the sunnier days on that City of the City, who knows. Plus totally gets ride of views for half the side of the "W" hotel at the corner. I do like the outdoor decks, but other than that it sucks. I wonder what RJ would think of it.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Ugh says the guy whos City's Contemporary Art Museum is in an old car dealership!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4546+W...cbp=12,45,,0,0
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I hate it. Seriously, it sucks. Just doesn't fit in the neighborhood. It was bad enough that they laid a giant turd in the Metron, but this thing? It will never pass archotectural review board. Maybe something modern with clean lines, etc to take more advantage of the sunnier days on that City of the City, who knows. Plus totally gets ride of views for half the side of the "W" hotel at the corner. I do like the outdoor decks, but other than that it sucks. I wonder what RJ would think of it.
    I'm not sure what to say, other than it's horrible and not compatible with the surrounding pattern of development--or any other pattern of development in the City for that matter. I sure hope SF has a design review board with a backbone to send the architects back to their drafting tables and t-squares.

EDIT: But then again, I don't think the Bank of America or Transamerica buildings should have been built in the City.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    You guys just aren't hip enough to appreciate the architectural statement this building is making

Upon further review, I agree that it sucks and doesn't compare favorably with the New Museum in NYC. So I retract my earlier comment.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Upon further review, I agree that it sucks and doesn't compare favorably with the New Museum in NYC. So I retract my earlier comment.
    I mean i enjoy the concept of the building, just not the location. If you know how the City is laid out, the building would be more appropriate in other parts such as China Basin (think the telecom park) or maybe even golden gate park close to where the de young museum is at.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I mean i enjoy the concept of the building, just not the location. If you know how the City is laid out, the building would be more appropriate in other parts such as China Basin (think the telecom park) or maybe even golden gate park close to where the de young museum is at.

That was my first thought. It's an interesting building, but seems to give no consideration to the surrounding environment
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I ..... If you know how the City is laid out, the building would be more appropriate in other parts such as China Basin (think the telecom park) or maybe even golden gate park close to where the de young museum is at.
    I disagree. It won't punctuate the skyline like other buildings, but it's just wrong anywhere in the City. They hired a Starchtect, didn't they? It belongs in Spain.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    How many people are going to be seeing the building from that particular view point? The important views are those along the street edge, and if it's taller than the surrounding buildings the long distance views. There are a lot of buildings that are really beautiful from the street which look hideous from above.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Howl View post
    How many people are going to be seeing the building from that particular view point? The important views are those along the street edge, and if it's taller than the surrounding buildings the long distance views. There are a lot of buildings that are really beautiful from the street which look hideous from above.

Look at the street frontage on the left. Imagine looking up at 20-30 stories with only 3 windows, with the facade otherwise just a solid blank wall. I agree things look different from above - but I think in this case you can get a sense of the street scene, and from that perspective it looks horribly out of character.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Too slow, Dallas is already working on its own Borg Cube(tm), the Perot Museum of Nature and Science

To be fair, it is getting some detail that makes the connection to a cross-section of Texas, but take a look at the webcam with the plain gray walls during construction and tell me you don't expect a Borg invasion.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Howl View post
    A lot. With the elevated Bayshore freeway (highway 101) and visibility from the Bay Bridge (another elevated freeway). Not to mention a few new residential projects will also look down on this thing. With the many surrounding hillsides and vistas, viewsheds are very important in San Francisco from not just a street level but a vertical perspective as well.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Too slow, Dallas is already working on its own Borg Cube(tm), the Perot Museum of Nature and Science

To be fair, it is getting some detail that makes the connection to a cross-section of Texas, but take a look at the webcam with the plain gray walls during construction and tell me you don't expect a Borg invasion.
    While it does look something like a Borg Cube, I actually like that design. It also seems appropriate for the area, unlike the SFMOMA.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This addition is not going to come cheap.

SFMOMA's planned wing to cost a pretty penny

Talk about a work of art - the planned addition to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is budgeted at a stunning $325 million.

That's more than five times the $60 million it took in 1995 to build the existing museum - which is about the same size as the planned addition.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAAB1MAPST.DTL

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Both of those designs are better than the Denver Art Museum. The interior of that building is one of the most disconcerting buildings I've been in thanks to all the weird angles. The building also happens to have a ton of leaks due to its "space age" design.

Anyway, I agree that museum looks like a giant trailer but I don't think it looks that bad. Would probably look kind of blah from the street level though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    ...Denver Art Museum. The interior of that building is one of the most disconcerting buildings I've been in...
    If Starchitects built disconcerting buildings out of sheer incompetence, that would be lamentable.

Lieberskind, Hadid, et alter design buildings that are disorienting on purpose. That's inhuman to the point of nihilism. It is morally reprehensible.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    May 2005

not a fan

I don't get it. I am sure it has a great BS story like the one told about the D.A.M. and how it is an explosion of light, because Colorado has so much days of sunlight....Blah blah...At least you will know it when you see it...i.e."go two blocks and look for the giant silver bullet can on the right, can't miss it". In a way that is what civic Architecture is all about.

what is that? a capital building.

and that's a library
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...bYgGgNAv4oA2iw
    That must be a Modern Art Museum
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    May 2005

not a fan

I don't get it. I am sure it has a great BS story like the one told about the D.A.M. and how it is an explosion of light, because Colorado has so much days of sunlight....Blah blah...At least you will know it when you see it...i.e."go two blocks and look for the giant silver bullet can on the right, can't miss it". In a way that is what civic Architecture is all about.

what is that? a capital building.

and that's a library
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...bYgGgNAv4oA2iw
    That must be a Modern Art Museum
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Nov 2008, 10:30 AM
  2. Architectural rendering book
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2