Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interview travel expenses

Registered
    Jul 2009

Interview travel expenses

Hey everyone, I just had my second phone interview for a planning job that I felt went very well. They told me that the third interview is on-site. I live out of state and would need to fly in and they know this. Based on past experiences, do cities/planning departments usually cover travel costs for interviews? Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Kingmak View post
    Hey everyone, I just had my second phone interview for a planning job that I felt went very well. They told me that the third interview is on-site. I live out of state and would need to fly in and they know this. Based on past experiences, do cities/planning departments usually cover travel costs for interviews? Thanks.
    No.. but there are some exceptions, especially if it is a higher position in the ranks (think PD). An agency paid for me to fly across country for a job interview for their #2 position. Didn't count on it though. Save your receipts and write it off for your 2012 income taxes.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Save your receipts and write it off for your 2012 income taxes.
    And make a long weekend out of it and see some sights while you are there.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Until recently it was not uncommon for employers to cover the travel costs of candidates for senior/director positions, and maybe mid-level. Of course, even then there were exceptions. California communities tended not to pay. As budgets were slashed and as the pool of candidates grew due to the number of unemployed candidates, it has become less common to see employers willing to pay the travel costs of candidates.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    When I was interviewing right out of grad school I paid my own way for multiple out-of-state interviews. These days most municipalities are pretty strapped for cash so I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for your expenses.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    The only thing I would add is try to stay in a hotel within the community. It seems trivial but for many communities, especially smaller ones it does matter. Good luck!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Ok thanks for the input. So does anyone have any tips on how to find out if you're their top candidate? How would one ask that?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ok thanks for the input. So does anyone have any tips on how to find out if you're their top candidate? How would one ask that?
    You don't. When you get a call back you know you are still on their radar screen
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    This is my experience from the last time I was on the job market. At the end of the second (and final) interview, I asked when I could expect to hear from them about a decision for filling the position. I explained that I was asking because I had interviewed for another position elsewhere. That got a reaction from the interviewers, which gave me a hint on whether I was still on the radar, if not the top choice candidate. But all this was about five years ago, when the job market was still good. I wasn't lying about the other position I had interviewed for, and since it is a small world, they probably knew which one it was. In any case, it's a tactic that might work for trying to get an idea if you're in the running for the position. Worked for me anyway.

Note that I only said I had interviewed for another position, not that I had another job offer waiting. If you do have another job offer in hand, that might give them more encouragement to reveal if you are their top candidate, if that was indeed the case.

Also if you try this tactic, be prepared for them to respond with "May we ask what is the other position that you have interviewed for?". ie they might try to call your bluff (if you're bluffing!) or maybe they really want to know who their competition is. So prepare an answer for that question, so you don't get caught off guard and blurt out "part time tax preparer at H&R Block"
    Last edited by Reefe; 08 Mar 2012 at 3:12 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Use your network. When I go after a job I talk with those at the organization that I know and those that have strong relationships with the organization. If a friend or collegue that I trust and respect asks for my help I will go to bat and give them as much inside information that I can. People have do it for me. It is how the game is played. Now if yo are interviewing in an area where you don't know anyone then you will know you are the front runner when you get a call with an offer.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 04 Jan 2014, 12:04 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 10:34 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Oct 2006, 3:41 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 1:48 PM
  5. Interview expenses
    Career Development and Advice