Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Choosing a major

Registered
    Feb 2012

Choosing a major

I'm a freshman in college and am still undecided on my major. Recently I have become intrested in the the job field of urban planning. My interest has been raised by reading a few planning books as well as watching the documentary Urbanized. The college I currently attend does not offer an urban planning degree so I'm wondering what major would best prepare me for grad school and a successful career. I have looked into sociology, political science (public administration) as well as geography. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by chood3 View post
    The college I currently attend does not offer an urban planning degree so I'm wondering what major would best prepare me for grad school and a successful career. I have looked into sociology, political science (public administration) as well as geography. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You
    Jobs will be tight for many years to come, but if you must do it IME the geography undergrads are the best prepared for generalist long-range planning, IMHO. You can go Soc or PoliSci if you want to go down the equity or policy route too.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Jobs will be tight for many years to come, but if you must do it IME the geography undergrads are the best prepared for generalist long-range planning, IMHO. You can go Soc or PoliSci if you want to go down the equity or policy route too.
    If you search the the threads you should find several of us studied Geography.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    If you search the the threads you should find several of us studied Geography.
    Holla!
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Geography without a doubt! But I suppose dabbling in some architecture or engineering classes couldn't hurt.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Civil Engineering with a lot of electives in Geography, Political Science and Public Affairs.

If the economy sours a B.S.C.E. is always better than a B.A.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 May 2010, 9:49 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Feb 2010, 9:33 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Jul 2008, 6:33 PM
  4. Choosing between 2 job offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Dec 2006, 12:37 AM