Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament (March Madness) Trash-talk Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2012 NCAA Tournament (March Madness) Trash-talk Thread

Some early teams have had their tickets punched.
    Two schools close by are dancing - Belmont & UNCAsheville
    Two others are playing tonight and the winner dances as Southern Conf. Champs - Davidson vs. Western Carolina
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Local favorite (at least in my house) Oakland University had a spectacular collapse in the final minute of the opening round of their conference tournament. Up by 3, the leading scorer, Reggie Hamilton, gets fouled and misses both. It wouldn't have been so bad to watch except that he is also the best free-throw shot in the Summit League and I believe in the top 5 or 10 in the NCAA. Southern Utah gets the ball back and promptly gets down the court and drains a 3-pointer to tie it up. Headed back the other way and Hamilton gets fouled again. This time he makes 1of 2 but Southern Utah gets the ball back and has time to score again. There was about 40 seconds left at this point and I sort of tuned out (it was hard to see the score through the tears in my eyes). I believe the Southern Utah scored a couple free throws but that was all she wrote.

After a couple pretty good seasons, and being projected to have a good season this year, Oakland opened the season with some awful losing streaks. They somehow managed to turn things around at the end and finish with a winning record as well as being one of the top scoring teams in the country. Unfortunately, an opening round loss in the Summit League tournament does not get a team an invitation to the Big Dance.

Oh well... there's still the Wolverines to cheer for. Oh... and some other team from Michigan.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am heading to the First Four - which I do most years (well when it was the play-in game at least...). The University of Dayton is an absolutely amazing place to watch basketball games. This year the Play-in Home Team might even make the dance... doubtful though unless they get to the A10 finals. It would be the first team ever to play at home court if they were one of the First Four...

The Buckeye's are a locked 2 seed. My comfort level with their play is just below "Shady Guy Selling Candy in a Big White Van (SGSCBWV)".

Who is doing the Tourney Pick 'Em this year?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2006
    The PAC-12 will probably get only one team in again this year and its debateable if they even deserve that. I looked at the rankings and only a few teams ranked were in the west. As for me I probably won't do a bracket or even watch a game...thank god for baseball. From the end of the Super Bowl until opening day for baseball is the worst part of the year for sports.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    The PAC-12 will probably get only one team in again this year...
    And the West Coast Conference could get as many as three into the tournament. Unreal.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am heading to the First Four - which I do most years (well when it was the play-in game at least...). The University of Dayton is an absolutely amazing place to watch basketball games. This year the Play-in Home Team might even make the dance... doubtful though unless they get to the A10 finals. It would be the first team ever to play at home court if they were one of the First Four...

The Buckeye's are a locked 2 seed. My comfort level with their play is just below "Shady Guy Selling Candy in a Big White Van (SGSCBWV)".

Who is doing the Tourney Pick 'Em this year?
    We need to get the Cyburbia pool going again. Nice to see my alma mater relevant again.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The University of Dayton is an absolutely amazing place to watch basketball games.
    The Flyers drubbed my Minutemen at that place this year, from what I could tell it looked like an incredibly hostile place to play. It was a lowlight in an otherwise good year (we had 20 wins), and hopefully we'll make some noise in the A-10 tournament..

Count me in for the Cyburbia pick-em. What about a survivor pool this year?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Go Syracuse!

Usually NHPlanner sets it up over at yahoo.com sports

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What a comeback for Western Kentucky last night. Went on a 22-5 run to overcome a 16 point deficeit in front of the President & Prime Minister.

That earned them the right to play Kentucky.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I pulling for Memphis - only because they are my assigned team in a March Madness raffle.

I'm pulling for Rutgers on the women's side.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I know in the men's tournament no team can play on their home court, however in the women's tournament it seems like several teams play at home. One example is Iowa State, who is ranked 10 playing at home against a higher-seeded team. I assume the rules are different for the women's tourney but how was this decided?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I know in the men's tournament no team can play on their home court, however in the women's tournament it seems like several teams play at home. One example is Iowa State, who is ranked 10 playing at home against a higher-seeded team. I assume the rules are different for the women's tourney but how was this decided?
    I didn't know that this was an actual rule and just thought it was something that was easier to enforce de facto since the men's tournament seems to be more spread out geographically and more likely to be playing in large, non-collegiate arenas while the women's tournament is often played on campuses. So even though men's teams might not play on their home court, it's not unusual for them to play a relatively short distance away from home.

Having probably watched a total of 10 minutes of women's college basketball in my life and never looking at stats or box scores for a single game though, I could just be making stuff up...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Link to join Cyburbia group: http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...143&P=cyburbia

I put together a bracket, even though I haven't watched more than 3 minutes of basketball all year.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Link to join Cyburbia group: http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...143&P=cyburbia

I put together a bracket, even though I haven't watched more than 3 minutes of basketball all year.
    Link blocked through work. Oh well have to slack at home for this bracket.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    What a comeback for Western Kentucky last night. Went on a 22-5 run to overcome a 16 point deficeit in front of the President & Prime Minister.

That earned them the right to play Kentucky.
    It was like a high school game between WKU and MVSU. Western Kentucky will get absolutely demolished by Kentucky. They are really bad.

It was a lot of fun to be at the games last night. I have never been frisked before... hopefully that is my last run in with the secret service.

Tough to see, but he is in the front row....

Click image for larger version

Name:	432279_10100525051190208_20700845_49062046_886081856_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4893
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post

Thanks NHP-like Planit, I'll have to wait until I get home to fill mine out. I've got two teams in this year, my alma mater (go red!) and one of the local college got in. Does anyone know who won the second game (BYU vs Iona) yesterday?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Thanks NHP-like Planit, I'll have to wait until I get home to fill mine out. I've got two teams in this year, my alma mater (go red!) and one of the local college got in. Does anyone know who won the second game (BYU vs Iona) yesterday?
    BYU. Iona blew a 25 point lead. Biggest comeback in tourney history.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    It was like a high school game between WKU and MVSU. Western Kentucky will get absolutely demolished by Kentucky. They are really bad.

It was a lot of fun to be at the games last night. I have never been frisked before... hopefully that is my last run in with the secret service.
    Oh yes, WKU doesn't have a chance. Point spread 30+ (and thats being kind).

I guess frisking is different from full-cavity body search you are used to...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    My other brackets I did yesterday and the day before on Yahoo and ESPN have SU taking it all but I guess our star player is not playing so I did this bracket with them choking - Marquette takes it all...

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm in!

Got my usual picks in - mostly guesses, with a few assumptions thrown in for good measure.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Gedunker's Junkers are in and ready to claim ... last place
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    May 2005
    As a Spartan fan, I have an uneasy feeling in my stomach about this year's tourney.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am glad to see so much support for my Buckeye's in the brackets of Cyburbians, but I don't know if it is deserved.

We shall see...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Was happy to see UConn lose last night. Cheaters never win! Oh wait they won it all last year..

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Who knew that the US Naval Academy had a women's basketball team?

{Is cyburbia required to comply with Title IX? I demand equal representation on the boards. )

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 NCAA March Madness Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 09 Apr 2013, 11:03 AM
  2. Replies: 100
    Last post: 26 Dec 2012, 1:09 PM
  3. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 7:30 PM
  4. 2012 NCAA March Madness