Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament (March Madness) Trash-talk Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    It would have been a much better game. Kentucky might have won, but it wouldn't have been nearly as lopsided.
    I don't see how you can say that. Kansas beat you guys (and put the chains on Sullinger) so IMO I don't think you would've fared better against UK. Kansas made a late run last night to cut it to 5 so it's not like UK totally destroyed them.

As for Calipari, it has nothing to do with Kentucky. I met him in 2000 and have had the same feeling towards him, since then. He is what is wrong with the NCAA. He doesn't run clean programs, and he does whatever it takes to win. Which I find deplorable (even when Ohio State coaches do it...).
    There's no proof of Cal ever doing anything wrong. There's no evidence that he had anything to do with Rose's SAT scores or Camby taking money from an agent. When he left UMass the NCAA sent him a letter clearing him of wrongdoing. If recruiting one-and-dones is doing whatever it takes to win so be it, but it's not cheating.

I think this season taught us two things: 1. The NBA needs to move it to 3 years in college before you are allowed to enter, 2. Academic standards need to be raised and all athletes (including you guys at UCONN, need to meet them).
    I'm in the camp that these kids should be able to go straight to the NBA if they're good enough, but can I see why fans of the college game don't like the one-and-dones. I just don't think it is fair to penalize the kids if they're good enough to make it at the next level (and let's not pretend for a minute they're really "student-athletes" at these powerhouse schools to get a college education). As for UCONN you are absolutely right, that's a dirty program that doesn't even pretend they care about academics. Jim Calhoun has been caught red-handed doing things that Calipari has only been accused of.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Carolina lost 3 underclassmen to NBA as well. They'll be good but won't be in the hunt like this year.

ALL major college BIG $$$ athletic programs are like this. You can leave early for the MLB (after Jr year, but you can also be drafted straight from high school). Football I think its more of a size/stature thing there. It does surprise me that NCAA has different rules for different sports.

I also remember this guy named Greg Oden...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I don't see how you can say that. Kansas beat you guys (and put the chains on Sullinger) so IMO I don't think you would've fared better against UK. Kansas made a late run last night to cut it to 5 so it's not like UK totally destroyed them.
    The score said 5, but it was never that close. It was a blow out by all measures, and was really boring to watch. Sullinger wasn't exactly shut down... and I would argue that Kansas played their best game of the season to beat Ohio State... but they did win. So to the victor goes the lopsided loss.

There's no proof of Cal ever doing anything wrong. There's no evidence that he had anything to do with Rose's SAT scores or Camby taking money from an agent. When he left UMass the NCAA sent him a letter clearing him of wrongdoing. If recruiting one-and-dones is doing whatever it takes to win so be it, but it's not cheating.
    Like I said, I have some personal history with him and his athletes, and know a little too much about his backroom dealings. I won't argue that if you think he is clean, he is clean. I know he isn't. I'm not trying to convince anyone.

I'm in the camp that these kids should be able to go straight to the NBA if they're good enough, but can I see why fans of the college game don't like the one-and-dones. I just don't think it is fair to penalize the kids if they're good enough to make it at the next level (and let's not pretend for a minute they're really "student-athletes" at these powerhouse schools to get a college education).
    If the NBA doesn't want kids out of high school, then I think that the Universities should get more benefit from a kid than just a year of bad academics and good basketball. They should be required to be a student and an athlete. Most one and done's don't even end up finishing the school year. They quit after the tournament. What can a school do at that point?

If you get to use the school as a springboard, you should be required to be part of the system... which includes going to class, etc.

Quote Originally posted by Planit
    I also remember this guy named Greg Oden...
    Greg Oden is a perfect example of a kid who wanted money and left college early to get it. He wasn't ready, his body gave up, and now he is a millionaire who will probably never play in the league. Was that good for Ohio State? Was that good for the NBA? Was that good for Greg Oden? Who was that good for? For every LeBron, there are ten Kwame Browns.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If the NBA doesn't want kids out of high school, then I think that the Universities should get more benefit from a kid than just a year of bad academics and good basketball. They should be required to be a student and an athlete. Most one and done's don't even end up finishing the school year. They quit after the tournament. What can a school do at that point?

If you get to use the school as a springboard, you should be required to be part of the system... which includes going to class, etc.
    They should be student-athletes, but they're not. That's why I hate the NCAA. They pay lip service using the term "student-athletes", but they're really only concerned with cashing in on the big-time athletes through lucrative TV and merchandising deals. They don't care too much about the academics part, if they did they'd actually enforce some rules about attendance, graduation rates, etc. I think we all now how it should be but who's going to actually make some changes?

One of the things I like about baseball is the fact that kids right out of high school can go to the minors and play. Those who want to go to college and play college ball can. This gets rid of the game that kids are there to get an education.

As for UK, I gotta hand it to them, they were a great team and deserved to win it. They hung 100+ point game on mu alma mater during the tournament. Let's see if they can reload after their players go pro.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just a note... it seems Mark Cuban also thinks the one and one rule is bad...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...203852849.html

It's about kids' lives that we're ruining. Even if you're a first-round pick and you have three years of guaranteed money -- or two years now of guaranteed money -- then what? Because if you're a bust and it turns out you just can't play in the NBA, your 'Rocks for Jocks' one year of schooling isn't going to get you real far.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Just a note... it seems Mark Cuban also thinks the one and one rule is bad...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...203852849.html
    So, Cuban would just go straight to the double bonus?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    So, Cuban would just go straight to the double bonus?
    Yea, yea... although I think THAT rule change would make the games more interesting... and would stop teams from making the last 2 minutes of the game SO SLOW.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The University of Kentucky Wildcats just declared for the NBA draft.

The starting 5 for the champion UK basketball team declared for the draft yesterday. That's right, all 5 are leaving Lexington.

Anyone surprised?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

The starting 5 for the champion UK basketball team declared for the draft yesterday. That's right, all 5 are leaving Lexington.

Anyone surprised?
    The only surprise was Calipari insisting at the presser that all five would finish out the academic term.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Anyone surprised?
    Not in the slightest. I've several friends on fb that are UK fans/alumni. They were bragging about how the 5 went pro.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2003

Anyone surprised?
    Not the least. The surprise would be that any of them actually gets a degree in the next 10 years.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 NCAA March Madness Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 09 Apr 2013, 10:03 AM
  2. Replies: 100
    Last post: 26 Dec 2012, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 272
    Last post: 15 Nov 2012, 6:30 PM