Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Pretty People Thread

Registered
    Feb 2007

The Pretty People Thread

I was reading this forum and while it simply made me chuckle, i got me thinking. Where do all the pretty people live? Taking a look at some of Dan's shots from his hood' out in Upstate NY makes me just cringe at the thought of remotely dating out there (if i were able to, i am already taken). Move some 3,000 miles on the other end of the country and on a sunday like this past weekend with highs in the mid 80's the beautiful college co-eds came out and yea..it was quite the pretty sight for both my end and my SIL said "did the top 10% of hot guys come out today?". As a matter of fact, one of the first things i noticed as a Senior in High School was the amount of really good looking people that attended my future school choice (which made the choice all the more easier i might add).

Even good looking people tend to flock in certain professions (i.e. drug salespersons). A look into our planning profession at any State APA or National Conference and I can say that planners are typically above average looking people.

So what professions breed the "good lookin'" folks? Any parts of your region where there just tend to be more, people of beauty?

As always..beauty is in eye of the beholder
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I was reading this forum and while it simply made me chuckle, i got me thinking. Where do all the pretty people live? Taking a look at some of Dan's shots from his hood' out in Upstate NY makes me just cringe at the thought of remotely dating out there (if i were able to, i am already taken). Move some 3,000 miles on the other end of the country and on a sunday like this past weekend with highs in the mid 80's the beautiful college co-eds came out and yea..it was quite the pretty sight for both my end and my SIL said "did the top 10% of hot guys come out today?". As a matter of fact, one of the first things i noticed as a Senior in High School was the amount of really good looking people that attended my future school choice (which made the choice all the more easier i might add).

Even good looking people tend to flock in certain professions (i.e. drug salespersons). A look into our planning profession at any State APA or National Conference and I can say that planners are typically above average looking people.

So what professions breed the "good lookin'" folks? Any parts of your region where there just tend to be more, people of beauty?

It seems like in politically-liberal/"crunchy" places such as where Dan lives there is usually a large contigent of people who typically do not dress to attract others. Not sure why this is, obviously in the northeast weather plays a role in dress, but there's something else going on and I really can't put my finger on it.. I'm tempted to say something about women's liberation but I really don't what means. All I will say is that it is definitely baggy sweater and long skirt territory up here. I will now take a self-imposed hiatus from Cyburbia for a period of 6 months due to these questionable comments.

Registered
    May 2004
    Lol. It's funny because growing up in socal, yes definitely there are lots of attractive people. BUT- I always found that many of them tried to hard too be attractive and came off looking fake and also just had very ungrounded personalities. Fast forward to northern california crunchy town, like hilldweller mentioned, people don't try to look attractive, they just are naturally attractive or not. Personally, I prefer the attractive types that are down to earth and don't try too hard.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    There are plenty of pretty people here in AZ as compared to the Midwest where I'm originally from. There is certainly a component of socio-economic level that is involved there. Wealthier people tend to take better care of themselves, whether it's because they have the means or it's a conscious effort. Scottsdale is full of pretty people and also happens to be pretty wealthy. ASU is known for the "hotness" of it's co-eds and attracts a fair number from other pretty people hotbeds like SoCal. A lot of it has to do with weather, too. Here you can wear short sleeves and shorts (or short skirts and sundresses for the ladies) so there is incentive to stay in shape and look good. In colder places you are bundled up most of the year and tend to stay inside for the winter, having the dual effect of being less active during those colder months and not caring as much how you look underneath those baggy winter clothes.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I would have to agree that the warmer climate has something to do with it. I generally feel less pressure to 'keep up' now that I live in a colder climate, away from the ocean...not that I'm giving up! Just feel that winter hibernation thing...hey maybe I'll train for a marathon next winter again to maintain.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I would have to agree that the warmer climate has something to do with it. I generally feel less pressure to 'keep up' now that I live in a colder climate, away from the ocean...not that I'm giving up! Just feel that winter hibernation thing...hey maybe I'll train for a marathon next winter again to maintain.
    Wait, isn't Mississippi the most obese state?

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Move some 3,000 miles on the other end of the country and on a sunday like this past weekend with highs in the mid 80's the beautiful college co-eds came out and yea..

San Luis Obispo definitely has an attractive student population. Ahh, I miss SLO

I feel like people who for phone companies managing cell towers applications are typically attractive. Whenever someone young and attractive comes into the front counter, they'll most likely have a CUP or CUP revision application for a tower.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have never seen so many adults (mostly male, but not all) in overalls, as I've seen in the FL panhandle. NOT a pretty people place. High incidense of incredible obesity, stupidity, , you name it. There is no "beauty" population here,

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

That'd be moi

Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    ...I [think] people who [work] for phone companies managing cell towers applications are typically attractive. Whenever someone young and attractive comes into the front counter, they'll most likely have a CUP or CUP revision application for a tower.
    As opposed to local residents wanting to add a mancave use to their garage.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    When I went to school at NIU, I feel like during the warmer weather, all of the hot people just come out of the woodwork. Warmer weather months typically were August, September, sometimes October, sometimes March, April, and May. But yeah, everyone just covers up during the cold winter months, so it's harder to tell that there are hot people around. But when the weather's nice, it's a lot easier to tell that there are a lot of hot people when everyone's showing some skin and getting tan. Of course, at a large college campus filled with young people, I think you're definitely going to automatically have a much larger density of pretty people.

The whole cold weather thing is just the nature of the Midwest. Half the year, you would think almost everyone was ugly. But when summer comes around, the Chicago area definitely has its share of pretty people. I do think wealth has a lot to do with it, and youth. So naturally, the wealthy far western and far northwestern suburbs filled with upper middle class people and young families and the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area of Chicago (a destination point for young professionals) come to my mind as having lots of pretty people. Some particular suburbs that come to mind: Algonquin, Crystal Lake, Huntley, St. Charles, Geneva, Naperville, Plainfield, Downers Grove.

I also must say I was shocked the last time I went to DC and how many hot girls I saw walking down the street in Arlington, VA. Arlington, of course, is a very liberal place, so you would think that there would be a lot of the crunchy types you're talking about, but I didn't see a whole lot. Instead I saw a parade of hot girl after hot girl after hot girl. I was very surprised. I guess, maybe it's because there are also a lot of young professionals in this town from more well-to-do backgrounds (and Arlington has a decent nightlife scene, at least where I was at), as well as the DC-Arlington area's growing representation as a national melting pot, where people come to settle there, go to school, and find work from all over the country.

This is all my opinion though and what I've seen from my experiences. And I know that there's more to beauty than just physical attractiveness. And physically attractive people can be of all backgrounds and ages. I'm not the shallow type (I consider inner beauty more than external beauty in my relationships with people), but I still know a pretty person when I see one.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    I feel like people who for phone companies managing cell towers applications are typically attractive. Whenever someone young and attractive comes into the front counter, they'll most likely have a CUP or CUP revision application for a tower.

This made me chuckle. I do seem to deal with a lot of younger attractive folks when it comes to cell tower applications. The flip side is that when I tell one of these 'attractive' people, "I need to see site license agreements, warranty deeds, property ownership information, etc." all I see is a blank stare. They always inevitably have to call in someone older who knows how these cell tower applications work to push a project through. Nothing personal to these folks, but when you're young and chomping at the bit, tracking down that kind of information should be your edge, and all I seem to see is the opposite, I just don't get it...

But back on topic. Weather obviously isn't the only factor, but having the option to wear shorts and T-shirts all the time makes a difference. I know if I could get out in the sun all year round I would be healthier...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Wait, isn't Mississippi the most obese state?
    That has a lot to do with diet and you don't have much ocean in MS compared to FL.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I live in Ohio. I feel that I am too close to this subject to comment....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Maybe they are good looking in SLO because they shop at the Macy's there?

Really good looking people look great even in sweats and an old sweater. If the weather was a factor, then why are their so many good looking people in New York and New England?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was reading this forum and while it simply made me chuckle, i got me thinking...

Even good looking people tend to flock in certain professions (i.e. drug salespersons)...
    Barney Stinson would agree!

I would have to agree with the assessment that wealthier areas seem to have better looking individuals. I would imagine more leisure time for healthy activities combined with higher disposable incomes that could be put towards whatever newfangled beauty treatment is out on the market. Or maybe it's just their affinity for yoga and yoga pants (which may be the greatest invention in my lifetime ).

As somebody who has been all over the country and all over the world, I will say that Croatia has the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Both in sheer numbers and in level of beauty. My theory is that it has something to do with the area being an early crossroads and a melting pot of Greeks, Italians, Northern Europeans, Middle Easterners, Slavs and later Sephardi Jews and Moorish Muslims exiled from Spain headed towards Bulgaria. I was once in Austria and talking to a bartender about all the beautiful girls in Croatia and he said that in Central Europe they have a saying: "The most beautiful girls in the world come from Croatia and the most beautiful girls in Croatia come from Split." Having been all around Croatia and spending a few weeks in Split, I can attest to that as well.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    In high school there was a set of twins on my block from Croatia and not only were they incredibly attractive they didn't have the typically stuck-up attitude you see with attractive American females. Unfortunately I didn't have that sparkle in my eye so we were never more than neighbors.

I would also agree that in the Midwest they are plenty of attractive people - they just come out in the summer. Not sure if it is the diet or what, but many of them gain a lot of weight or have children from 25/30 onward so the dating pool is not as attractive as you get older.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For the most part, people in the town where I live look like normal middle-class Americans. Obesity isn't is common as what one might see elsewhere in the US.

This being an iconic Northeastern college town, there are plenty of very attractive people here, However, I noticed a bit of a difference between the two schools; the students at the Ivy tend to have more natural "girl/boy next door" good looks, while students at the smaller private college tend to lean towards a slightly more deliberate "Downstate suburban" appearance. Not many students have the polished Laguna Beach/The Hills look that might be more common in the California college town environment of CPSURaf, but it's not unknown.

Formal business wear, high heels, and the like are uncommon, even downtown. Those that might look too polished and made up won't be frowned upon, but they might be seen as relatively new arrivals, or visitors from NYC.

At its heart, though, this is a progressive, tolerant and open-minded town with a very large hippie/crunchy and lesbian population, and a much larger percentage of locals project an image that is "natural" than what might be seen elsewhere. I found that doesn't necessarily mean they let themselves go, but rather go out of their way to not look polished. By our larger society's standards, that extreme natural look isn't necessarily "pretty". Long straight hair parted in the middle, letting your hair go gray or even dying it that color, growing a beard and ponytail, or putting on a butch appearance, is as deliberate as the fashion choices made by college students in California; a way to identify with others that share your lifestyle, values or subculture.

Not everybody is crunchy or butch, but it's more noticeable here because they are dominant subcultures. It's no different than the other other ways people shape and cover their bodies to signal their membership of a subculture. For example ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Now, on to a different phenomenon I saw when I lived in Denver: the appearance of the city's residents seemed to change depending on the time of say. During daytime hours, I saw more normal Denverites, which leaned towards an "outdoorsy" or athletic appearance. At night, the smoking hot babes would come out to play, by the tens of thousands. We're talking Playboy-centerfold/Telemundo-weather-girl/stereotypical-California-college-coed hot, not the usual REI-catalog/that-rock-climbing-girl-in-the-Citi-Rewards-Card-commercial look that normally predominated. My friends and I always wondered where the hotties worked, shopped and led their day-to-day lives, because we never saw them during the daytime. The closest theory we could come up with was that they kept in suspended animation in warehouses in Commerce City, and shipped through underground tunnels to the basements of Downtown Denver's many stores, restaurants and bars around 8:00 PM, where they were reanimated and released to the surface.

Anyhow, the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins area has more than its fair share of attractive people, no doubt drawn to the region from other parts of the country because of its outdoor recreation opportunities.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This whole thread has me laughing my @$$ off. IP mentions pretty people from Algonquin and others mention CA.. Sis moved from Detroit to Algonquin, and eventually to CA. Is she looking for the pretty people to surround herself with? What about us manly men left in Michigan?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    What about us manly men left in Michigan?
    He's a Lumberjack and he's ok.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I lived in Denver also, and I agree with Dan.
    More intense in the Mountain/ski resort towns.
    Last edited by JNA; 06 Mar 2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2005
    This is a bit off-topic, but regarding the attractiveness of people in certain professions, I've noticed that male planners tend to be tall. At least, where I have worked (so my sample size is not too large).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    This is a bit off-topic, but regarding the attractiveness of people in certain professions, I've noticed that male planners tend to be tall. At least, where I have worked (so my sample size is not too large).
    When male planners turn 50, their height drops two to six inches, they gain 50 to 75 pounds, and they sprout beards.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    When male planners turn 50, their height drops two to six inches, they gain 50 to 75 pounds, and they sprout beards.
    Not yet I haven't.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not yet I haven't.
    Nor I. The long-worn goatee is white, though.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    You're getting closer everyday, Dan. But I bet RJ would have something to say about this.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2012, 9:20 PM
  2. The Stupid People Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 06 Feb 2012, 5:30 PM
  3. Probably a pretty tough GTC
    Cities and Places