Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Has anyone on Cyburbia actually landed a job, or even an interview from the Cyburbia Job Board?

Registered
    Oct 2005

Has anyone on Cyburbia actually landed a job, or even an interview from the Cyburbia Job Board?

I'm asking just form my personal curiosity. I tend to post many NC job postings that come through the NCPlanners ListServe and other outlets the average planner may not be aware of. I try not to duplicate postings that the APA has, though it happens time to time.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has landed a job, or even an interview from a posting on the Cyburbia Job Board.

Where are our success stories? I'd love to hear them.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I'm asking just form my personal curiosity. I tend to post many NC job postings that come through the NCPlanners ListServe and other outlets the average planner may not be aware of. I try not to duplicate postings that the APA has, though it happens time to time.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has landed a job, or even an interview from a posting on the Cyburbia Job Board.

I landed an interview and ended up as one of two finalists for a position that was advertised in the past year by another Cyburbian. Still having a hard time letting that one go, but I'm thankful for the opportunity.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post

I believe that I first saw my current job on Cyburbia...another NC cyburbian (Planit) had posted the job on here from what I assume was the NCPlanners ListServe.

With a few exceptions, almost every public sector planning-related job in NC goes out on the 'serv
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I believe that I first saw my current job on Cyburbia...another NC cyburbian (Planit) had posted the job on here from what I assume was the NCPlanners ListServe.

With a few exceptions, almost every public sector planning-related job in NC goes out on the 'serv

Wow b_b I didn't know that little factoid, that's great!

Between Tide and me, the majority of NC Plannnig jobs do get posted here. I had an interview that was on our Job Board and the NCPlanner 'serve.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I've been invited to interview to two jobs that I found listed here. Both would have been good fits, especially the one in Pittsburgh but I had already been hired by my current employer.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I landed an interview and ended up as one of two finalists for a position that was advertised in the past year by another Cyburbian. Still having a hard time letting that one go, but I'm thankful for the opportunity.
    I'm still disappointed by that one too (spoken as the Cyburbian whose former job was the one advertised).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Tide, I'm pretty sure the face-to-face job interview I landed in NC (where I also met up with you while I was down there) came from a listing on the Cyburbia job board. I think you posted the job too. Either you or Planit. Can't remember. This job was not posted on the APA national site, so it really is nice when the ones that aren't on the national site get posted here. I'm not really looking for jobs in other states at the moment, but I must say Cyburbia's job board has been very helpful.

I did not end up getting this job, but I made it to the final rounds. I think it was just me vs. the other person that eventually got the job. It's probably a blessing in disguise that I didn't get it because I'd be so far away from family and wouldn't have gotten the job I'm in now.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I had an interview with a job that was posted here. It didn't turn out to be a good fit , but it was definitely worth the experience and I doubt I would have found that listing on my own.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Ditto what TS said. I got an interview a little over a year ago from one that was posted here that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise. I use the job links thread frequently, actually, even though a few of the links or outdated now.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I have not, but that's because I haven't applied to any yet. I'm limited in my mobility, so while some positions look great, I know I can't get hubby to move there, so I don't apply.

I do look at the threads regularly, just in case that dream job in the dream location pops up.

I have posted a few from around here. I hope others find them useful!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I'm still disappointed by that one too (spoken as the Cyburbian whose former job was the one advertised).
    Thanks man. That was awesome how you asked me one of the questions in SR's "interview questions" sticky. I almost cracked up though

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 9:29 AM