Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oregon Universities

Registered
    Feb 2012

Oregon Universities

Hi,

Senior majoring in Geography and seriously considering going to planning school (it's between that and a masters in GIS). Been looking at U of Oregon and Portland State U. What do people hear about these schools? It seems like PSU is very involved with the local community which I like (they also offer a certificate in GIS which interests me).

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by nlg5050 View post
    Hi,

Senior majoring in Geography and seriously considering going to planning school (it's between that and a masters in GIS). ..Portland State U. ... It seems like PSU is very involved with the local community which I like (they also offer a certificate in GIS which interests me).
    I have a couple buddies teaching there, one did really good work on land cover modeling & taught GIS as PhD student, so I'll say its good. The Green Infra and urban forestry work coming out of that area right now is excellent. This is not to say that because the school is excellent the job situation will be great in the current political economy and dysfunctional regular economy.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    From what I know I've been impressed with both. I have visited both but only at UO did I interact with anyone from the planning department, although I've browsed some student projects and research from PSU. PSU seems very involved in Portland as you say, for research and student projects (and a great place for it!) UO seems to have a very professional program and be involved in the state thru efforts such as Resource Assistants and sustainability cities semester programs. PSU is probably more urban-focused but I'm sure UO would allow either an urban focus or a more resource-oriented focus. Both emphasize sustainability which is typical of the PNW region. I could imagine you can't go wrong with either and would recommend visiting both. While the universities are not far from each other, PSU obviously would put you in the heart of Portland while Eugene is a smaller metro area of about 250,000 ...

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the responses. Seems like I can't go wrong with either choice.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Online universities
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Sep 2013, 7:06 PM
  2. What have you heard about Oregon universities?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 31 May 2011, 4:11 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Mar 2011, 4:40 AM
  4. Hotels at universities
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 01 Dec 2008, 9:26 PM
  5. Dealing with those universities
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4