Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Never ending new kid on the block thread

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Never ending new kid on the block thread

This is a thread to talk about new job situaitons/jitters/winces, etc.

Mine is the thinking of ways to connect with the admin who really runs the whole joint

Registered
    Jun 2005
    So what's the story on your new gig? Another PD position? Do tell.

I've been at mine for 5 years, but the first few months were excruciating as it involved relocating and then the PD's departure after 2 months for maternity leave. Some of the toughest months of my life, for sure.

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm 7 months into my new job. This also involved a 3-hour cross-state move. There are still days I question whether it was the right thing to do (family wise, it was a good career move), but we recognize we are still in a transitional period.

I inherited a completely un-organized Community Development Department. I had a few anxious moments the first few months. I'm now comfortable and realize I can't change this overnight.

The admin probably thinks you're going to change everything from how it's been done before. You need to become "one of them" before you can start making things your own. Maybe initiate a pot luck lunch. People like food.

Also, just ask the admin questions. It will empower them.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I've been in my position for about 1.5 years now and it's starting to get where I want it. I completed the new Comp plan at the end of the last year and I am starting on the needy rewrite of the zoning code regs and processes this year. Next (or at the same time) further rework and refine the enforcement processes and fines to get more effectiveness out to the process.

From a staff level, everyone is/was happy for my arrival, but I have to overcome the legacy of the last Dir who was completely unable to handle this position.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yes I will definitely lay low - it ain't broke, don't fix it - it will be nice in a big way to know that packets go out, stuff gets posted and the like without my involvement!

Machete - I took a position 3 and half hours south of me - I will go down for the weekdays and come north to be with family on the weekends - not ideal but I'll make it work!

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Yes I will definitely lay low - it ain't broke, don't fix it - it will be nice in a big way to know that packets go out, stuff gets posted and the like without my involvement!

Machete - I took a position 3 and half hours south of me - I will go down for the weekdays and come north to be with family on the weekends - not ideal but I'll make it work!
    I did the home on the weekends, holidays abd vacations for 5 years- Books on cd become your friend and you pay real close attention to gas prices and the weather

As a new PD, it's tough. I've taken the position of not rocking the boat for the first year, but fixing the stuff that really needs to get fixed. It takes about a year to learn the politics of the place.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Jun 2011, 5:55 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 1:28 PM
  3. The Never Ending Password Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Nov 2008, 2:37 PM
  4. The never-ending countdown thread
    Friday Afternoon Club