Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question of the Day: Worst Subdivision Street Name Themes

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Question of the Day: Worst Subdivision Street Name Themes

We've had threads before on terrible street names. How about terrible collections of street names? For example, there's this development in Austin, Texas where one can buy a house at the corner of Gun Fight Lane and Shoot Out Circle, or if one wants some peace and quiet, at the end of the cul-de-sac on Ammunition Drive. Better yet, you can move to the 'burbs of Dallas and settle down in this enclave of streets named after South Park characters in Garland.

Where are there other clusters of some deliberately wacky and weird street names?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If they have to be actual names I'm not sure, but what about hypothetically naming subdivision streets after obscure Tolkien places or characters (e.g. Belfalas Drive, Numenorean Ave, Imladris Lane)? That would either be really cool or really geeky. or better yet...'Yiff lane', 'Manimal ave' and the like?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I have a prelim plat witht he street named after 1980s baseball players - never went past prelim thank goodness.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Coming soon to my city: Razzamatazz Lane

The neighborhood has several goofball names like that, but this one is the worst.

Local developers around here have an affinity for naming streets after their children.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Lafayette, Colorado has a neighborhood with Greek mythology inspired street names such as Centaur Village Drive, Warrior Way, Artemis Drive, Zeus Drive, Io Court, Elysian Fields Drive, Sparta Drive, etc and in the middle is Centaur High School.

Then there's one in Colorado Springs that uses all these over the top adjectives and art motifs as street names. Whimsical Drive, Artistic Circle, Serendipity Circle, Wonderful Place etc. The names wouldn't bother me so much except they do nothing to describe the unremarkable 1970s-80s neighborhood that's on the ground.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Local developers around here have an affinity for naming streets after their children.
    *Gasp* That never happens around here. Although I live near a neighborhood called "Bailey's Landing"

There are lots of Scottish-themed neighborhoods around me...which makes me happy being alot-Scot.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From Davis, California ...

Circles, literally.
    NERRRRRDS!

Registered
    May 2005
    There's a condo development next to the house I'm trying to buy. They have Mitchum Lane, Cagney Lane, Bogart Lane and Gable Lane.

They must be marketing to seniors.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    North Dallas has the Disney streets. Pinocchio, Cinderella, Snow White, you get the picture. And this area was developed in the mid to late 50's.
    When you wish upon a star...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2012
    I once was asked to provide a list of acceptable street names for a subdvision. The names had to be scots, irish or some other celtic theme...Pouge Mahonne (I forget the precise spelling) got caught and thrown out but Culloden and Oglaigh stayed in

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    From Davis, California ...
    Circles, literally.
    So cool... Except for the whole doublewide thing.

Local neighborhood is named after {Indian, ndn, Native American, First Peoples} tribes. The neighborhood is of course called The Reservation. And quite proud of it too.
    http://g.co/maps/2v3bt

A company I worked with used to have an office on Gravel Lane. Which was a paved street, but made it seem like it was out in the sticks.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My hometown of Beaverton, Oregon has an Alice in Wonderland subdivision....

Mad Hatter Lane
    Cheshire Road
    Queen Lane
    Why Worry Lane
    Duchess Way
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2002

streets

Here's one from Colorado Springs, maybe its in Pretentious Township?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CBcQ_AUoAg
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Here's one from Colorado Springs, maybe its in Pretentious Township?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CBcQ_AUoAg
    Those don't seem too pretentious to me, I wouldn't mind living on Nonchalant or Nevermind, kind of unique. No on Parade Circle or Dream Lane though. Pretentious you need names of high-end retail brands, or ivy-league colleges.

The pretentiousness of a (US) area can easily be measured by looking at their retail site names. Towne = pretentious. Centre = pretentious. Towne Centre = super pretentious.

Off-topic:
    Obnoxious local new subdivision name: Richwoods

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Coincidentally that Nonchalant is right in the same area of Colorado Springs I mentioned. I just find the names obnoxious there since the words they used are so over the top for the given area.

Another subdivision name I saw in Colorado that was really stupid: Misty Meadows. Those two words do zero to describe the site they selected for development...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    We've had threads before on terrible street names. How about terrible collections of street names? For example, there's this development in Austin, Texas where one can buy a house at the corner of Gun Fight Lane and Shoot Out Circle, or if one wants some peace and quiet, at the end of the cul-de-sac on Ammunition Drive.

Where are there other clusters of some deliberately wacky and weird street names?
    Just outside of our county's other incorporated city is a subdivision with gun-inspired street names: Colt, Remington, Ruger, Marlin and Bullet, as well as Old West-inspired street names like: Cody, Caspar, Laramie, Sheridan, Shoshone, Double Eagle, Sundance, Stagecoach, Lone Prairie and, we mustn't omit, Cattle Drive.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    We have a Gun Club Road. Beyond that, I think the strangest street names are the WWII General District. The area used to be called the War Zone because it was developed post war for returning vets. But over time, this area declined and the War Zone took on altogether different connotation. Now its being rebranded as the International District. Its primarily an immigrant corridor, so its aptly named.

You come upon the Generals after going through the typical Tree District, College Zone, then the Presidents, the States and suddenly, you see General Bradley, General Arnold, General Stillwell, General Hodges, General Chennault, General Patches, General Sommervell and, of course, General MacArthur. I find it odd.

In my home town, there was a whole neighborhood with golf course names, which wouldn’t seem so unusual if there was an actual golf course there, but there wasn’t. Maybe it was in the plan originally and got scrapped, but I always thought that was a pretty mean joke by someone. I imagine some dodgy old coot, half-demented walking forever around the windy streets with his clubs looking for the 9th hole…
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    There's a condo development next to the house I'm trying to buy. They have Mitchum Lane, Cagney Lane, Bogart Lane and Gable Lane.

They must be marketing to seniors.
    I have a friend that lives in a house in a development over near that area and the names of the streets are Palmer Drive, Tiger Drive, Crenshaw Drive, Norman Drive, Stewart Drive, Hogan Drive. The development is built over an old golf course... go figure.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I have to complain about Southern California's tendency to use Spanish names for streets just because it sounds good.

E.g., El Fuerte Street. (the Strong Street)

Rancho Rio Chico (River Ranch Boy)

Paseo Cazadar (Hunter Promenade/Walk) - which is parallel to "Via Conquistador" ... um yeah.

Via Maximo (by way of the maximum).

And this was just from one subdivision.

(and one more from near where I grew up... Camino de los Coches = "Road of the Cars." DUH! )
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Ugh, same here... Live on Kelly Lane or Harold St or Pamela Ct.

In planning school I took a subdivision course and the final project was to plat a fictional subdivision. One of my classmates used breeds of dogs. I used English counties, like Northumberland, Stratford etc.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    In Sterling Heights Michigan there is the "Terryton Subdivision" which features cigarette street names including::
    Camel, Pall Mall, Camel, Parliament, Tarry, Winston, Viceroy.....and Kevin St!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In southern Joliet, IL, not far from Chicagoland Speedway, I came across a subdivision plat (currently unbuilt) that included racing-themed street names, most of them named after the various racetracks across the country (Poconos, Talladega, Fontana, etc.). However, the funniest ones were Winners Ct. and All Star Lane. Those are the streets I want to live on when I become wealthy and successful. I can almost picture someone saying, "Yeah, that's right, I live on All Star Lane cause I'm an f-in' all-star!"
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by short timer View post
    I once was asked to provide a list of acceptable street names for a subdvision. The names had to be scots, irish or some other celtic theme...Pouge Mahonne (I forget the precise spelling) got caught and thrown out but Culloden and Oglaigh stayed in
    You didn't suggest names like 'Kilbeggen', 'Jameson', 'Paddy', 'Tullamore', 'Bushmill', 'Clontarf', 'Glenlivet', 'Balvenie' and so forth?

Sheesh!

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The Subdivision of Greed in Las Vegas.. Street names include "Day Trade Street", "Stock Option Street", "Dividend Way", and "Capital Gains Drive", among others.

Vegas is infamous for its goofy evocative street names. There's also a gambler's subdivision, unreliable car subdivision, and loose woman subdivision

This doesn't exactly qualify but for strange sounding street/neighborhood names :

Penitencia Creek Road in the Berryessa area of San Jose

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 4:52 PM
  2. The Worst Street Names Contest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 01 Feb 2009, 2:34 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 2:00 PM
  4. Street width - residential subdivision
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 9:38 AM
  5. Parking RV on street parking question?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2004, 8:21 AM