Urban planning community

Poll results: What type work space do you have?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • cubicle

3 11.11%
  • private office

15 55.56%
  • shared/open office

5 18.52%
  • mostly outdoors and clipboards, baby!

1 3.70%
  • other (describe below)

3 11.11%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your work environment?

Registered
    Dec 2010

What is your work environment?

I bet this debate has already occurred on cyburbia, but would you rather be in a cubicle, office, or open floor plan environment? Being in a cubicle is frankly driving me nuts, I can't have a conversation on the phone when another conversation is happening 5 feet away from me!

I know there are downsides to being in an individual office, such as feeling more isolated, but I see a way larger advantage in being able to conduct private conversations and cancel out all the outside noise and distractions.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    I bet this debate has already occurred on cyburbia, but would you rather be in a cubicle, office, or open floor plan environment? Being in a cubicle is frankly driving me nuts, I can't have a conversation on the phone when another conversation is happening 5 feet away from me!

I know there are downsides to being in an individual office, such as feeling more isolated, but I see a way larger advantage in being able to conduct private conversations and cancel out all the outside noise and distractions.
    I've been in all and as much as I like my privacy at work, I did enjoy having an open floor plan. It forced me to get out of my shell and interact with my coworkers more. My current employer gives us all cubes but I have one of the larger ones (double or triple the size of most here), windows,and you wouldn't normally just walk past it (if that makes sense), so mine is more like an office than a lot of our other cubicles. The office pipes in "white noise" and our cube walls are actually about the same height as me at 5'8" so it stays pretty quiet. However, everybody complains about the height of our cubicle walls and that it really isolates folks.

There's a general consensus that we would all like a layout with lower walls or something more open and communal. Unfortunately, our office is only a few years old so the odds of them actually sinking the money into those redesigns are slim-to-none.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Cubicle here. Because I wear hearing aids it can be challenging to filter noisy neighbors when trying to talk to someone on the phone with a soft voice. Otherwise I spend little time thinking about office workspace accommodations.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We all have individual offices. I have worked in an open office layout and hated it. Way too much chatter, inane conversation and no privacy.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have a private office, but it opens right onto our small common area and permit desk, so I get to hear everything happening at the front.

It's good, because I can hop out of the office to intercede at the front desk if necessary.

I prefer a private office or tall cubicles.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Private office, all of us short of the permitting tech have a private one. The office itself is quite small so we can all hear what goes on outside.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I have a shared office. It's one big room with two of us in it. I have a little dividing wall between us for privacy so it's the best of both worlds for me.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Private office. One of the few in my building. Guess that means I'm special. Oh wait, it doesn't have heat in the winter.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I have a small private office, but it opens to the tech's desk and our counter space in a larger, very open office - so it's really not too private. Coolest thing about my office: Private back door directly out of my office, right out to the parking lot. So, so awesome. I don't deserve it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah......

Packed in like cattle here......MOOOOOOO!!!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I have it rough. I have an office on the second floor of City Hall that I share with the assessor one day a week. It is right off of the City Council Chambers, and everyone else has their offices is on the second floor.

Oh, and I have a million dollar view of the yacht harbor and the park out my windows.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    mskis, that crooked power pole and transformer really sets your view off.

Here I have a private office on the ground floor and look out over the rear parking lot and the woods behind. In winter I see more of the land behind me.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

Here I have a private office on the ground floor and look out over the rear parking lot and the woods behind. In winter I see more of the land behind me.
    I have been trying to get them to bury the utilities down here for years... I am just happy that the tree outside the widow fell down last year. Just wish my car was under it at the time. (Strange how the auto rotate focused on the pole... and not the ground... Oh well.)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I generally work from home - we've converted the (mostly unused) living room into my office. On the days I head downtown and go into the office, I just grab an open desk in the area of the floor my team occupies - generally in a shared office.

Since I got into grad school and started working jobs that require a desk, my office set-ups have been:

Law firm courier (my "working my way through grad school" job) - private office (small, but with a window)...I really only needed a table and chair somewhere, as little as I was in the office, but the firm had a few empty offices...

City government internship - a desk at the end of a hallway, with file boxes underneath that severally limited my leg space

State government - shared office - huge corner room (two wall of windows) with three desks/work-spaces and all the files for my group...you basically had to navigate a maze to get to my desk in the back corner.

Small private firm #1 - "private" office that was more of a perma-cubical - the front and one of the side walls were half-walls, so no door, but the side opened into a bullpen shared by a some guys who were generally in the field.

Large private firm #1 - private office (interior, no windows), then a cubical after we moved to another building, then three different private offices with windows

Small private firm #2 - private office (interior, no windows) that opened out into a bullpen

Large private firm #2 - my current home office
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Double private office... second has an unused planning counter.

View out my office window is a panorama of the city and the hills behind me, through my office door, the far window is a house with mountains behind it (small ones). They almost tore the house down, too. Damn.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I have a small private office, but it opens to the tech's desk and our counter space in a larger, very open office - so it's really not too private. Coolest thing about my office: Private back door directly out of my office, right out to the parking lot. So, so awesome. I don't deserve it.
    How could you get so lucky to have a private back door! I'll bet even RJ doesn't have one.

For my view, I get to look at the parking lot and street, but there is some nice landscaping and my squirrel friends (Twitchy and Stubby) like to hang out.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    How could you get so lucky to have a private back door! I'll bet even RJ doesn't have one.

For my view, I get to look at the parking lot and street, but there is some nice landscaping and my squirrel friends (Twitchy and Stubby) like to hang out.
    That's the sad part....I'm at Public Services, which is a building my city purchased from a trucking company, so the setup is weird. My office has a glass front. It was like, the floor manager's office - set up so that he could watch the bull pen workers, but slip out back for a smoke break when he needed to. Hate the glass, carpet, etc. Love the hell outta that back door.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Love the hell outta that back door.
    Hey...you shouldn't broadcast your personal predilections openly on the intertubes.

Last edited by mendelman; 24 Jul 2014 at 9:20 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm a field person, and I'm outside as often as I can be. Our side of the office has cubicles, except for my area. I'm in a corner along a wall that has a row of windows that stretch as high as the ceiling. My space is better than the boss's space.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Hey...you shouldn't broadcast your personal predilections openly the intertubes.

Ha!

There is just sooooo much distracting noise going on in cube land. The cube and office environment I am currently in are actually very nice, the problem is it's in a high traffic area right outside of our primary conference room. Honestly, it's not always so bad since I typically have about 1/3 of my week dedicated to attending various meetings anyway. But, when a news reporter calls me and is asking questions, I need to be focused on the questions and not overhearing what people did over the weekend!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    . . . I have a million dollar view of the yacht harbor and the park out my windows.
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    O Planit, that's the $900K sculpture he commissioned!!
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 24 Jul 2014 at 10:13 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My 'office' is about 200' in the air overlooking a downtown park, the river, with views of most of the City. I feel like one of the leaders of Omnicorp in Robocop!

Office is in quotes because we have a very open floor plan. We all have tiny cubicles that are about 6' by 8'. The height of the cubicles are only about 4 1/2" high tops.

Now that might sound like it totally sucks to most people. However we have white noise generators and small enclosed work spaces for when we need quiet. Everyone has a laptop and a cell phone. There is only one real phone in the office, and that is at the reception area. Everywhere is wifi.

The net result of a very open collaborative office. Files are kept in an area by the coats.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY View post
    O Planit, that's the $900K sculpture he commissioned!!
    I didn't know Michaelskis took a job in Ann Arbor! http://www.a2gov.org/government/publ...s/default.aspx
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I have a private office, but it opens right onto our small common area and permit desk, so I get to hear everything happening at the front.

It's good, because I can hop out of the office to intercede at the front desk if necessary.

I prefer a private office or tall cubicles.
    Essentially the same for me as well.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Open office, tiny minicube. Hate it. I miss my private 12 by 20 office in my last gig.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Fracking and the environment.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Sep 2013, 7:48 AM
  2. Help on environment planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2008, 8:03 AM
  3. No healthy work environment