Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Paying off credit cards

Registered
    May 2006

Paying off credit cards

Ill be paying off a credit card when I get paid next week. Itll feel good!

Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    Congrats. I got mine paid off once, then went back into debt with them before finally paying them off once and for all.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    I just paid mine off, only to put about 600 on it for a wedding trip. Ugh.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Credit card -

Have only one & the balance is 0.

I even put my dental surgery bill of $,$$$ on it for the frequent flyer miles.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We went (almost) cash only in 1996 - so we don't have any credit cards - we do have a mortgage and car payments and an overdraft on our checking so we are not completely debt free but our daily expenses are paid for in cash - it's great, but we are always broke and hotels hate us when we check in with a debit card
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    We went (almost) cash only in 1996 - so we don't have any credit cards - we do have a mortgage and car payments and an overdraft on our checking so we are not completely debt free but our daily expenses are paid for in cash - it's great, but we are always broke and hotels hate us when we check in with a debit card
    Same here. Hotels are ok, but car rentals are tough.

The credit card took it on the chin with the divorce, but we had to have beds to sleep on and appliances for the house, so I sucked it up and charged it. Iíll be happy when the card is paid off early next year and that money can go into savings, thatís for sure.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I use my one credit card for Amazon, Pandora and Expedia, the rare hotel room and having to reserve/buy tickets, that I can't pay with cash. I pay it off when I get the bill. The rest of the time, it's cash.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife pays for absolutely EVERYTHING on our credit card and then promptly pays it off to $0 every month. I don't know that I have enough faith in myself to do that so when I am doing the shopping, I generally use our debit card.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2002
    I use one credit card exclusively for gas and groceries and a couple monthly bills; stuff that I would have to pay for each month anyway. I pay the balance off each month. I highly recommend that people get a credit card with a rewards program and do this. Why not have your spending actually work for you?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    My wife pays for absolutely EVERYTHING on our credit card and then promptly pays it off to $0 every month. I don't know that I have enough faith in myself to do that so when I am doing the shopping, I generally use our debit card.
    As I've gotten my house ready to sell, I've used my credit cards a lot more. That's stopping now, though. I've gotten everything ready that I need to, so now I need to get them paid off again prior to buying my new house. That might not quite happen, but I should get pretty close. It kinda depends on how long it takes me to sell my house, which I'm hoping isn't that long!

Registered
    May 2006
    Yeah, I got one because I needed to put Canada Immigration fees on that. However Im not a dumb millennial who treats it like $$FREE MONEY$$ because us grown-ups know that sh**t aint like that!

I paid off the first round in August, than incurred a little over a grand more the past month and a half because of VOLVO related expenses. But I just cannot live with myself not paying it down when I do have the money - even if it will mean less savings. My expenses and living costs are low enough.

That being said, I'd like a weekend side hustle. Think I should drive my mothers big buick for LYFT lol!!?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Two words...

Dave Ramsey.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2006
    Lol the lampo group, inc

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We have one primary CC that we charge stuff to and then pay off every month. As MD said you gotta get those sweet rewards points.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    We have one card with a 'mid 4 figure' balance on it but the interest rate is only 5.9%. We probably put more than we should in retirement savings that is keeping us from paying off the card. Oh, and the $1000+ a month to help with the kids student loans. That's life.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Two credit cards that are paid off each month. Each earn reward points. And the infrequently used debit card. That is all.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I use one credit card exclusively for gas and groceries and a couple monthly bills; stuff that I would have to pay for each month anyway. I pay the balance off each month. I highly recommend that people get a credit card with a rewards program and do this. Why not have your spending actually work for you?
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    We have one primary CC that we charge stuff to and then pay off every month. As MD said you gotta get those sweet rewards points.
    Me too. I get about $10 back per month just for putting my son's daycare on there, let alone gas and other stuff.

Registered
    May 2006
    Whoppin 2500$ payment was made to my Visa on Friday, that includes the purchase price of the Volvo (I paid the seller using Venmo, which was linked to my card) plus all the costs associated with repairs/parts after purchase.

Im set back a little bit now that its been paid, but it is very worth it because A. I have a well running Volvo 240 and B. I am once again debt free. yay!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Two cards for us, which we pay in full each month (basically, we use credit cards as convenience). One Mastercard & one Visa, which we use strategically based on how their rewards program is structured. For example, we always use the Visa for travel because the rewards are more advantageous and it has better fee structures for international use.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Dec 2009, 4:38 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Feb 2008, 1:04 PM
  3. Paying for graduate school
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 5:15 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Dec 2003, 11:11 AM