Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The power of the almighty Goal!

Registered
    Apr 2003

The power of the almighty Goal!

First of all let me say I was surprised that this one did not show up beyond just the traditional New Years Resolutions.

Do you do any serious goal setting? I know we all say “Some day I would like to do something or what ever” but goal setting is much more than that. Goal setting should list specific goals with detailed steps, particular time lines, and measurable results.

I am starting to get into this where I write down a massive life time goal, then break it down into a few smaller goals, and then more smaller goals, down to a manageable timeline with weekly or even daily activity.

Additionally each week I try to focus hard on one category of goals. I have learned that massive lifetime goals will start to have interlinking elements in terms of smaller goals, and these will fit into categories of:
    • Health and Fitness
    • Home and Family
    • Mental and Emotional
    • Finance and Investing
    • Education and Knowledge
    • Religion and Spiritual
    • Career and Service

How detailed are your goals? What are your big goals? How do did you form those goals?
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, for the most part I don't break down my goals too much, with the exception of fitness/diet. I use the free www.fitday.com program to track what I eat/how much I exercise. I have specific nutrition goals that I've set there, as well as a weight loss goal. I have found that the nutrition goals (meeting RDAs, keeping sodium below a certain level, etc.) are great to track daily. And then I usually set a new weight goal about six weeks out... just enough time to allow for weight fluctuations, not so much time that I blow it because it's too far in the distance.

The only other goal I have for this year is to let work stress affect me less. It's going to be an election year here, so I'm trying my best to balance my work life with my home life. Having lunch with my husband, now that he works here, has been a great first step.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I had been thinking about this recently. I decided that i was going to make a few new years resolutions and do my very best to achieve them- but i felt i needed to make some goals in order to achieve them.

I guess for me the thing is i dont know where to start. Some of them are a bit more vague and less measurable then others. The thing is i see writing a list of goals and how to achieve them all well and fine, but sometimes things happen beyond your control to interrupt them. I think i am just walking round in circles!

Nerudite, i am going to check out that website, it looks like a good resource to just keep account and how you look after yourself in general
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    How detailed are your goals? What are your big goals? How do did you form those goals?
    Very good questions. I'm glad you asked.

The detail of my goal depends on how serious I am about the goal. Usually I'm more serious about my "pipe dreams" than I am my typical everyone-has-the-same goals, such as lifestyle change, weight loss, etc...

I have three goals and they are attainable this year and are working towards my pipe dream. I won't go into any details because it's business related and I don't trust any of you suckers.

First -- finish paying off debt from the divorce.... this will be done in 8 months.

Second -- purchase an option on my dream building. I will be negotiating this tomorrow.

Third -- drink less beer and more vodka.

Health and Fitness ---- needs work.
    Home and Family ---- Considering my kids live with my X, I am in very good shape here. Everyone gets along. There is no one on the horizon for me at the moment.
    Mental and Emotional ---- The key for me here is understanding myself, which I do very very well. I just don't always want to admit what I do know.
    Finance and Investing ---- It's all on track.
    Education and Knowledge ---- I would really like to know more entomology, but that will come with time. Keep on reading.
    Religion and Spiritual ---- After 34 years of pondering, I've settled on my own spiritual balance.... I don't believe in religion (per se). I'm comfortable and I've started creating converts. The groundwork of the Tolstoyian Gaia Cult has been laid.
    Career and Service ---- Everything is as it should be.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Goals? What are those? I have a few in my gray matter. I intuitively and practically know how I’m getting there. I respond spontaneously to the events around me with the goal of enjoying life more for the moment. Spontaneity is my hallmark.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Launch my kid into the world and hope he does well
    Have a comfortable retirement in the next 15 years or so
    Be in a good relationship

I'm simple. That's pretty much it. I have never been able to even think of sacrificing my private time to become a workaholic, so I'm happy with an average life.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am going to bump this thread because I have been thinking more and more about the why behind my goals. I have been able to acheive a lot over the past year and things are looking up, but why do I want these goals.

So how do you determine your goals in life? What are the contributing factors? How do you decide what ou want?
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 28 Dec 2012, 6:21 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 23 Sep 2011, 1:26 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2009, 4:13 PM
  5. Terminology for land use goal
    Make No Small Plans