Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 'slug days' AIB Salmissra

Registered
    Feb 2004

'slug days' AIB Salmissra

I don't know if Salmissra heard the phrase elsewhere, but I know at least one other person who has mentioned having "slug days." We all sort of instinctively understand a "slug day" is a day where one's actions match the activity level of an average slug. Days that are remarkable for what you DON'T do. You know, days where your loftiest goals are to figure out what to have for dinner that evening.Typically, I have slug days during the winter or at times when the weather is not conducive for outdoor activities.
    How often do you have slug days? What are some of the lofty goals you've achieved on slug days? When do you normally have slug days?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't remember the last time I had a slug day, but they usually include the couch and Turner Classic Movies.

I also have "nesting days", where I stay home for domestic activities that recharge me after work stress. The result can be jars of jam, home-made baked goods, or sewing projects. Those are activities that relax me and make me happy.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I had such a day a few weekends ago when my oldest daughter was out at dance class then a party all day and my wife was out shopping and running some errands the whole day. I was home with the baby from just before lunch until about 7:30 p.m. The baby sleeps A LOT right now so I was basically by myself. All the Christmas decorations were down, the house was pretty clean, I had just reorganized my closet and dresser so, other than taking the baby for a short walk to Starbucks and the grocery store when she was awake, I spent the day laying on the couch watching TV shows that my wife refuses to watch with me.

During the summer I often get two or three nights in a row where my wife and daughters are away at the beach and I'm home alone. I always tell my wife that I'm going to watch all the horrible movies or TV shows that I want and grill a steak and drink extra beers, blah blah blah, but inevitably that always turns out to be too ambitious so I end up laying in the hammock listening to the baseball game while eating a microwaved hot dog or some leftovers.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I just call that "the week-end."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had such a day a few weekends ago when my oldest daughter was out at dance class then a party all day and my wife was out shopping and running some errands the whole day. I was home with the baby from just before lunch until about 7:30 p.m. The baby sleeps A LOT right now so I was basically by myself. All the Christmas decorations were down, the house was pretty clean, I had just reorganized my closet and dresser so, other than taking the baby for a short walk to Starbucks and the grocery store when she was awake, I spent the day laying on the couch watching TV shows that my wife refuses to watch with me.

During the summer I often get two or three nights in a row where my wife and daughters are away at the beach and I'm home alone. I always tell my wife that I'm going to watch all the horrible movies or TV shows that I want and grill a steak and drink extra beers, blah blah blah, but inevitably that always turns out to be too ambitious so I end up laying in the hammock listening to the baseball game while eating a microwaved hot dog or some leftovers.
    Let me know if thats ever the case, Ill come out to MI and we can drink Strohs and set off fireworks and go surfing on the Detroit River @ Zug Island.

Saturday morning when I don't have a writer's meeting. Wake up when I want, read, dork around on the computer, have my devotions, do laundry, head to the gym eventually, write, watch a movie.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy birthday Salmissra
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Jun 2016, 4:43 PM
  2. Happy Birthday Salmissra
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Jun 2014, 9:17 PM
  3. School Days, Golden Rule Days
    Friday Afternoon Club