Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Easter Saturday -

What: Lamb sausage for me (in a pork casing), roasted red pepper and garlic chicken sausage for Mrs. Bubba (in a lamb casing...go figure)
    How Prepared: No prep needed
    Type of Grill: gas
    Conclusion:

Easter Sunday -

What: Beef roast, rosemary demi baguette
    How Prepared: Pesto rub (beef); olive oil, sea salt, black pepper (bread)
    Type of Grill: gas (indirect heat)
    Conclusion: Perfect medium rare for the beef
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    For Mothers Day dinner for/with in-laws.

What: Chicken Drumsticks
    How Prepared: washed and patted with a garlic olive oil
    Type of Grill: Gas
    How cooked: grilled drumsticks for about 40 mins over a low/medium setting; basted Carolina Treat bbq sauce at the end leaving the lid open to dry the sauce.
    Sides on grill: corn on cob and butter wrapped in foil (on the upper rack).
    Cooking beverage: Epic Brewing's IPA
    Conclusion: Brother-in-law asked how I did that so he could repeat it. Everyone enjoyed.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Last night this Bear grilled:

Johnsville Cheddar & Beer Brats
    Mushrooms (with onions and garlic)

Fresh whole wheat buns, chopped onions, Tony Packo Hot Dog Sauce, spicy mustard

Gas, as always.

Yum City, USA.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This evening RJ will be grilling some beef filets (whenever he wakes up from his nap...).

Registered
    May 2005
    I was the grill master both Saturday and Sunday night. At my friend's house Saturday I grilled ribs, brats and chicken.

At my parents' last night I grilled beef and chicken kabobs.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I too was Grillmaster both Sat and Sun.
    Sat - grilled chicken on charcoal grill
    Sun - grilled steak on charcoal grill
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We're getting into the time of year when I'm grilling three to five nights a week...

Last night:

What: swordfish
    How Prepared: simple marinade for about an hour (olive oil, white wine, kosher salt, black pepper)
    Type of Grill: gas (eight minutes on medium heat)
    Conclusion: Served with a garlic butter sauce - pretty darn good
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What: steak
    How Prepared: Montreal steak seasoning rub (first time I tried this)
    Type of Grill: charcoal (mine med & the missus' med well)
    Conclusion: You hear so much about Montreal steak seasonings these days, I figured it was way overhyped - found out it was only a little overhyped. I will probably alternate between dry rubs and marinades henceforth
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Grilled pizza Saturday night for a party for my wife's birthday. Not the first time I've done it, but the first time this year. Always awesome!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Grilled pizza Saturday night for a party for my wife's birthday. Not the first time I've done it, but the first time this year. Always awesome!
    That's one thing I've never grilled. I must try. Any tips?

Since we've moved into the new place, we haven't grilled yet. I got a new propane, 4-burner grill for Fathers Day, but still haven't bought a propane tank. Must get on that!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Since we've moved into the new place, we haven't grilled yet. I got a new propane, 4-burner grill for Fathers Day, but still haven't bought a propane tank. Must get on that!
    Dude, where's your priorities?!?!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    That's one thing I've never grilled. I must try. Any tips?
    I use the recipe from Steven Raichlen (the Barbecue Bible). The dough has oil which helps it not stick. Takes about 2 hours to prep the dough (needs to rise, be punched, then rise again)

Essentially you have one side on med/high and the other on med/low. You put the dough on the hot side for a few minutes to cook the underside a little. Then flip, move to cooler side, assemble (brushing with oil and garlic before adding toppings) then slide back over to the hot side. I make several small ones and just have a ton of toppings handy. This time it was pesto, raw mozzarella, feta, fresh tomatoes, and mushrooms (and sauce). Once you start grilling, the whole process moves very quickly.

Its…tremendous!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Bear's Cheeseburgers will be on the menu on July 4th. Thick, juicy, yummy.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    For the fourth we had cheeburga cheeburga Pepsi cheeburga Pepsi

I've been grilling exclusively with charcoal lately and discovered that if I poked holes in the foil the burger grease smokes when it drips onto the charcoal giving the patties a delightfully smokey taste. I'm going to experiment more with this technique of intentionally trying to get things to smoke more.

Registered
    May 2004
    Yesterday was a bbq first for me! bbq lobster tails. I cut the shell legthwise down the middle, stuck a skewer through each tail to keep them straight and grilled them about 4 minutes on each side while brushing very lightly with butter. They turned out not too bad. I will definitely try this one again.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Yesterday was a bbq first for me! bbq lobster tails. I cut the shell legthwise down the middle, stuck a skewer through each tail to keep them straight and grilled them about 4 minutes on each side while brushing very lightly with butter. They turned out not too bad. I will definitely try this one again.
    Lobster tails?!? You are an exotic rogue. Never let them tell you otherwise. I intend to bbq brats tonight since we were stuck at the in-laws yesterday.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    This weekend: hamburgers on the charcoal grill, but a friend turned me on to a new recipe where you mix in: grated cheese, onions, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and steak sauce into the meat before making the patties. I highly recommend it.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    last night: freshly caught mackerel in teriyaki sauce - yummy

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Tonight: Baby back ribs with our Memphis rub. (ZG adds bbq sauce to her ribs after they're cooked.) As always, I'll be cooking indirect using a blend of lump mesquite and charcoal.
    Ditto. Cornbread and baked beans on the side tonight.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Temps reached 68 yesterday! Which is remarkably warm for mid-November in my neck of the woods. In honor of this fact (and Veteran's Day) I fired up the charcoal grill one last time and grilled hamburgers. It was rather windy but not enough to keep the grill from doing its job.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Temps reached 68 yesterday! Which is remarkably warm for mid-November in my neck of the woods. In honor of this fact (and Veteran's Day) I fired up the charcoal grill one last time and grilled hamburgers. It was rather windy but not enough to keep the grill from doing its job.
    I grilled last week on Thursday. Italian sausages and hot dogs.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Ran out of gas while grilling chicken breasts last week. Finished with the microwave to save time. Bleeeah. I like my meats properly carbonized.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Last night:

What: Salmon
    How Prepared: Rub (Sierra Nevada Porter Mustard, smoked paprika, dill, sea salt, black pepper)
    Type of Grill: Gas
    How cooked: Medium heat (direct), 9 minutes without flipping (skin side down)
    Conclusion:

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Barbecuing burgers tonight.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Barbecuing burgers tonight.
    RJ took pity on me since he knew I would be painting door trim today, and suggested an easy dinner. All I have to do is throw a pan of onion rings in the oven.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread