Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING what's on the grill thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's 90 out. Perfect time to keep the kitchen cool and grill outside on the back patio.

Grill: Weber 'smokey joe' charcoal grill
    food: burgers!
    grilling beverage: Grolsch (only one bottle then it's Natural Ice)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Last night steaks. Tonight cedar plank salmon and asparagus.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Saturday I grilled salmon, straight on the grate, no planks. Rubbed it in McCormick Grill Mates "Applewood Rub". It was fantastic! Fish is so easy to grill, beats just about any other food, it tells you when its ready to flip.

Was going to grill out some chicken tenders, corn on the cob, and some red bell peppers last night, but it started pouring right before I lit the grill, so I did it all in a pan

I'm going to be buying a gas grill here in the near future. Probably a Weber Q series. I have a Smokey Joe that I've had for years, and it works fine, so I figure a small gas grill will be good too. No need to get anything bigger yet, as I have no covered deck/patio, and have to move everything outside each time I want to grill.

I also bought one of those charcoal chimney's on Friday. MAN am I glad I bought this thing! Cuts my wait time in half!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I also bought one of those charcoal chimney's on Friday. MAN am I glad I bought this thing! Cuts my wait time in half!
    Charcoal chimney? I had to google it. How long does it take to build ash in a charcoal chimney? Not sure how that would work any quicker than piling the charcoals up at the start and then spreading them out after it gets going.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Charcoal chimney? I had to google it. How long does it take to build ash in a charcoal chimney? Not sure how that would work any quicker than piling the charcoals up at the start and then spreading them out after it gets going.
    I have no clue why it works better, but it does. I've always had problems with the Smokey Joe being insanely slow with ashing over the charcoal. Generally takes around 30-45 minutes to get something going. The chimney had it going in 15, AND I didn't have to use that nasty lighter fluid!

It's also good to have because it gives you something to start cold charcoal in to add to a longer cook if you need to. Adding cold charcoal to hot results in awful smoke.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    On the grill this morning was the cover and a cardboard box to be thrown away.

I had every intention of grilling this weekend but as it turned out Friday's gathering of friends moved to another house (because it grew from 6 to 13 people) and we ordered pizza.
    Saturday another friend had a gathering at his house which was really a rescheduled 4th of July party since it rained and had a taco buffet
    Last night was an impromptu gathering at another friends house since the pool was closed due to thunder and we ordered Chinese takeout

I hope to grill chicken thighs & legs this week (maybe Thursday)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    I have no clue why it works better, but it does. I've always had problems with the Smokey Joe being insanely slow with ashing over the charcoal. Generally takes around 30-45 minutes to get something going. The chimney had it going in 15, AND I didn't have to use that nasty lighter fluid!

It's also good to have because it gives you something to start cold charcoal in to add to a longer cook if you need to. Adding cold charcoal to hot results in awful smoke.
    I've found that Kingsford charcoal with the grooves in it gets ashed over quicker than standard charcoal. Supposedly having more surface to catch and better airflow speeds the process a bit. I've never timed it out but I think it's usually ashed over sufficiently to start grilling in maybe 25 mins. Maybe you should try Kingsford TM charcoal. i wouldn't consider that an 'insane' wait. Besides you can use those 25 minutes to sip beer in preparation!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    Last night I made lamb kofta kebabs, served with cucumber sauce. My whole kitchen still smells amazing.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've found that Kingsford charcoal with the grooves in it gets ashed over quicker than standard charcoal. Supposedly having more surface to catch and better airflow speeds the process a bit. I've never timed it out but I think it's usually ashed over sufficiently to start grilling in maybe 25 mins. Maybe you should try Kingsford TM charcoal. i wouldn't consider that an 'insane' wait. Besides you can use those 25 minutes to sip beer in preparation!
    Oh yeah, I only use Kingsford. There's no other kind of charcoal as far as I'm concerned. I think the chimney was a good idea, especially when I move towards the WSM smoker, which I hope to do in the next few months.

Registered
    May 2005
    I was going to make sloppy joes tonight. But then I thought, what the hell am I doing. It's summer. Let's turn that pound of ground sirloin into some burgers on the grill instead. Save the sloppy joe for when it's cold.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    Last night I made lamb kofta kebabs, served with cucumber sauce. My whole kitchen still smells amazing.
    Last night we had marinated pork loin and this morning the kitchen still smelled awesome. It was a nice reminder.

Registered
    May 2005
    Last weekend I made pizza on the grill. So awesome!

Otherwise its your typical corn, steak, chicken and potato(e) cookout pantheon this summer.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    On vacation family had
    Hamburger with salsa mixed in
    London Broil
    Fish - three times
    skinless Chicken breasts

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    This coming weekend is a barbecue competition in our area. It got me thinking about how awesome it would be for dinner on a hot day. Additionally, grilling a real barbecue brisket is something that I have wanted to try for quite a while.

Anyone have any tips?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    This coming weekend is a barbecue competition in our area. It got me thinking about how awesome it would be for dinner on a hot day. Additionally, grilling a real barbecue brisket is something that I have wanted to try for quite a while.

Anyone have any tips?
    Smoking brisket is one of the few things that I'm a "good Texan" about. I don't do it often because I'm a perfectionist and have incredibly high anxiety while smoking brisket, plus I only like doing it if we're having a decent-sized group over. I should honestly consider an electric smoker just to cut down on my anxiety. But I'm quite good at it.

Use choice-grade beef or better. I suggest certified angus. While it isn't critical, I age mine in the fridge for about 30 days if I can--the enzymes will help tenderize the meat. Check for a "date packed" label--the older, the better. For a whole brisket use the 1 lb per person uncooked rule. It'll work out to about 1/2 lb per person once cooked & trimmed.

Trim the fat cap to about 1/4 inch or a little less.

Separate the muscles if you are using a whole brisket. This reduces cooking time and allows you to take the flat (lean side which cooks faster) off the heat before the point (marbled side which cooks slower). Otherwise you risk the flat drying out.

Slather in cooking oil (spices are usually oil-soluble and this helps keep it from sticking to the grill)

Apply a good spice rub. Here's my recipe converted to proportional parts (I use teaspoons):
    9 parts coarsely ground black pepper
    3 parts granulated white sugar
    3 parts onion powder
    2 parts mustard powder
    2 parts garlic powder
    2 parts ancho powder
    1 part chipotle powder

Pump the brisket. Use beef broth and inject parallel to the grain.

Cook over indirect heat for about 8 hours at about 300 degrees (you might opt for lower temp & longer process if you are new or not confident about the meat quality, like about 250 for 10 hours). I don't know what your wood options are in Michigan; I use pecan with a little mesquite.

Mop with beef broth, water or apple juice throughout the process. Wet meat holds more smoke flavor.

Pull the meat off when the internal temperature is about 200 or just slightly above. Wrap it in foil and place it in an oven or insulated cooler for a couple of hours. This helps with tenderizing and buys you time until everyone is ready to eat.

Slice perpendicular to the grain.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    sausages & squash last night

(I'm about done with the squash)
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Smoking brisket is one of the few things that I'm a "good Texan" about. I don't do it often because I'm a perfectionist and have incredibly high anxiety while smoking brisket, plus I only like doing it if we're having a decent-sized group over. I should honestly consider an electric smoker just to cut down on my anxiety. But I'm quite good at it.

Use choice-grade beef or better. I suggest certified angus. While it isn't critical, I age mine in the fridge for about 30 days if I can--the enzymes will help tenderize the meat. Check for a "date packed" label--the older, the better. For a whole brisket use the 1 lb per person uncooked rule. It'll work out to about 1/2 lb per person once cooked & trimmed.

Trim the fat cap to about 1/4 inch or a little less.

Separate the muscles if you are using a whole brisket. This reduces cooking time and allows you to take the flat (lean side which cooks faster) off the heat before the point (marbled side which cooks slower). Otherwise you risk the flat drying out.

Slather in cooking oil (spices are usually oil-soluble and this helps keep it from sticking to the grill)

Apply a good spice rub. Here's my recipe converted to proportional parts (I use teaspoons):
    9 parts coarsely ground black pepper
    3 parts granulated white sugar
    3 parts onion powder
    2 parts mustard powder
    2 parts garlic powder
    2 parts ancho powder
    1 part chipotle powder

Pump the brisket. Use beef broth and inject parallel to the grain.

Cook over indirect heat for about 8 hours at about 300 degrees (you might opt for lower temp & longer process if you are new or not confident about the meat quality, like about 250 for 10 hours). I don't know what your wood options are in Michigan; I use pecan with a little mesquite.

Mop with beef broth, water or apple juice throughout the process. Wet meat holds more smoke flavor.

Pull the meat off when the internal temperature is about 200 or just slightly above. Wrap it in foil and place it in an oven or insulated cooler for a couple of hours. This helps with tenderizing and buys you time until everyone is ready to eat.

Slice perpendicular to the grain.

Awesome, but what is ancho powder?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Awesome, but what is ancho powder?
    Damn yankee... Ancho powder is made from a type of mild-medium heat chili pepper, specifically a dried poblano, that has a smokey flavor. You can probably substitute boring ol' yankee chili powder.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Damn yankee... Ancho powder is made from a type of mild-medium heat chili pepper, specifically a dried poblano, that has a smokey flavor. You can probably substitute boring ol' yankee chili powder.
    Dang mskis, even I knew that.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Hey, I am from the UP. Up there we have two spices, salt and pepper.

On the other hand, I can make a pasty on the grill, open fire pit (if I have tinfoil), or the oven.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    While on vacation I had

Grilled chicken breast,
    London Broil,
    Salmon,
    Tilapia for fish tacos

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Slightly OT but what are your best picks for a budget grill, preferably gas. I currently have a Patio Bistro electric grill that does a pretty decent job but wouldn't mind a gas grill where I can actually set up different cooking zones.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    There's a little upper end restaurant here on Sunday evenings in the summer has a grill menu. If you order that, they bring you a platter of meats - usually pieces of chicken, a couple pork chops, a couple of 3 different cuts of beef, a couple different fish and ask you which you'd like - then they take it a grill it for you right there to the side of the patio. You also go inside to the salad bar, vegetable bar and dessert bar to complete your meal. The price is based on the meat selected.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Slightly OT but what are your best picks for a budget grill, preferably gas. I currently have a Patio Bistro electric grill that does a pretty decent job but wouldn't mind a gas grill where I can actually set up different cooking zones.
    Here you go. LINK

In all seriousness We bought a Weber Genesis 3-Burner for my dad a while back. It works awesome and is worth the extra money. LINK

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm devoted to Weber grills. They make great, durable, well-built products, plain and simple.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread